Used 1998 Dodge Neon Competition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Reliable and efficient commuter vehicle
By BrianH

1998 Dodge Neon Competition 2dr Coupe

Bought 5/1/2006 with 25k miles (yes, 25k). Had to get A/C compressor replaced (normal for age) and replaced a malfunctioning EGR valve. I was aware of the issues before purchase. I bought the car for $4,300 and I considered it a decent deal despite the fact that it's a Neon. I've put on 14k miles since purchase without issue. The oil is relatively clean after 3k miles (mixed hwy/city). The shifter isn't the most confidence-inspiring one around, but I've driven much worse. I averaged 28-32 mpg between May and November, but once the weather got colder my mpg dropped to 25-28 (also let my car heat up for 10 mins in mornings). Significant interior noise and rattling.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, despite significant decrease in the colder weather (normal). The car has strong acceleration if you drive it at higher RPM, but anyone shifting before 3k will get poor pickup in the next gear. Comfortable seats, spacious rear seats. Alloy rims. Good fact speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Better road noise dampening. The windows fog very easily, and the rear defrost works poorly. The tail light gaskets leaked water into my trunk and I had to re-seal them. No issues since. Shifter seems cheap, suspension very taught (normal for the sportier ACR's, a good thing for cornering though).

Never buy a Neon
By Jinx-y

1998 Dodge Neon Competition 2dr Coupe

I bought my Dodge Neon used with 40,000 miles. Now, at 70,000 miles, I cannot wait to get it off my hands. The car is poorly constructed. I've spent way too much of my free time fixing the car. Only 3 months ago I dropped almost a grand on a tune-up. Now, the head gasket is broken and I have engine damage. Why did Dodge continue to make this car when they knew the head gaskets would go with so few miles? It's a very expensive thing to fix. For a little more money, I could have had a reliable car and peace of mind.

Favorite Features

Small, quick, great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Almost everything about this car leaves room for improvement, from the loud engine to the vibrations to the faulty head gaskets.