Used 1998 Dodge Neon Competition Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Reliable and efficient commuter vehicle
By BrianH

1998 Dodge Neon Competition 2dr Coupe

Bought 5/1/2006 with 25k miles (yes, 25k). Had to get A/C compressor replaced (normal for age) and replaced a malfunctioning EGR valve. I was aware of the issues before purchase. I bought the car for $4,300 and I considered it a decent deal despite the fact that it's a Neon. I've put on 14k miles since purchase without issue. The oil is relatively clean after 3k miles (mixed hwy/city). The shifter isn't the most confidence-inspiring one around, but I've driven much worse. I averaged 28-32 mpg between May and November, but once the weather got colder my mpg dropped to 25-28 (also let my car heat up for 10 mins in mornings). Significant interior noise and rattling.

Great gas mileage, despite significant decrease in the colder weather (normal). The car has strong acceleration if you drive it at higher RPM, but anyone shifting before 3k will get poor pickup in the next gear. Comfortable seats, spacious rear seats. Alloy rims. Good fact speakers.

Better road noise dampening. The windows fog very easily, and the rear defrost works poorly. The tail light gaskets leaked water into my trunk and I had to re-seal them. No issues since. Shifter seems cheap, suspension very taught (normal for the sportier ACR's, a good thing for cornering though).

Never buy a Neon
By Jinx-y

1998 Dodge Neon Competition 2dr Coupe

I bought my Dodge Neon used with 40,000
miles. Now, at 70,000 miles, I cannot
wait to get it off my hands. The car
is poorly constructed. I've spent way
too much of my free time fixing the
car. Only 3 months ago I dropped
almost a grand on a tune-up. Now, the
head gasket is broken and I have engine
damage. Why did Dodge continue to make
this car when they knew the head
gaskets would go with so few miles?
It's a very expensive thing to fix.
For a little more money, I could have
had a reliable car and peace of mind.

Small, quick, great gas mileage

Almost everything about this car leaves room for improvement, from the loud engine to the vibrations to the faulty head gaskets.