1997 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Better be a AAA member!
By Lazurus on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

We had several recalls which should have been warning enough. The dealership would not stand behind the warranties on the child integrated seating. Experienced electrical problems, belt tensioner issues, complete failure of brake system, and finally a catastrophic transmission failure. All before reaching 100,000 miles.

Most Reliable Yet
By Captain EO on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

The 3.8 engine is powerful and yet provides good mileage and is tight as can be for over 120,000 miles now. Not a drop of oil is used. Have not put any money into this vehicle in five years of ownership other than normal maintenance items. Passing it on to family member so we can try the new Chrysler Pacifica.

Best used car ever
By Ronj on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This car gives a great ride and is great on gas I have the tow package and it pulles my trailer very well, I have the big V6. It is a fun car to drive and I look forward to shopping for a new one.

good car
By Kingfisher57 on 11/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

My Dodge has been an excellent vehicle. I have 132000 on the car now and have had only 1 scary experience with itas the fuel rail broke with 5000 miles on the vehicle. Other wise there has been no problems with it.The car is still all original except for brakes and 1 battery

Great Van
By JEM on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

This has been one great van. It's starting to get up in age now but every time I look at replacing it I change my mind. I've driven the new vans from Nissan, Toyota and Honda, and they still don't come close to the ride, handling, and confort of my G.C. I Love my G.C.

mine
By bry521125 on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

new tranny @50k much too soon! Rides very nice on highway and in city. Plenty of room for our family and for weekend trips.

90k and out for me, thanks.
By hokietxn on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

Bought new 1997 Grand Caravan SE with 5-year, 100k service. Great ride, good mileage, modest power, seats easy to remove/install, huge cargo capacity. Changed oil every 3k and followed service schedule at dealers for the first five years. Headaches (all after warranty): A/C compressor and dryer died, front rotors replaced, still act "warped". (Dealer) Battery recently shorted and damaged the starter. Phantom wipers, console rattle, "heavy" sliding door. Planning to sell before I loose my first transmission.

Whats wrong with american cars?
By Warren on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan AWD

This car has major reliability problems, I have replaced the battery, the altenator, the water pump, the device that raises and lowers the driverside window, a starter, and now I need to fix head and valve gaskets, a 600.00 repair. we bought the vehicle new and I haven't driven it for more then 6 months without having to do some sort of repair. A 7 year old vehicle with 65,000 miles on it shouldn't be costing me an average of 1,000 a year to maintain. American car companies better wake up or companies like honda, toyota, and new arrivals like kia, and hyundai are going to put them out of business.

Read reviews before you buy a vehicle
By spidey on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan AWD

We have had nothing but problems with this van. On the drive home, the van would lose power and then a second later start going again. We didn't think anything of it until smoke poured out of the hood when the a/c compressor locked up. We have 3 brake jobs on the van, air compressor, serpentine belt, tune-up, fuel filter, rear drive shaft, tie-rods, sway bar bushings, sway bar, front struts...is that all....and at the moment the van is in the garage having a bearing replaced somewhere in the drive train. The mechanic also said the boots on the rear drive shaft are torn already! This vehicle has sucked us dry to the tune of $5k.

97 Dodge Caravan Sport--Great Van
By dthueson on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I have had excellent service with this car. Have only had a few minor problems. Mechanically has been sound.