2003 Dodge Durango Consumer Review: Hands-down: This truck is a wi

2003 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Review

Hands-down: This truck is a winner !
By bigdaddy61 on

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new and the love affair I've had with it hasn't dimmed since. I wanted something that could haul a car trailer & my '67 Fury, as well as maneuver well in the snowy N.Eastern PA mountains in winter. This truck has surpassed every expectation I had. While the mpg. aren't great, it wasn't a factor since I commute by rail 5 days a week. When I travel to the mountains with my 150# dog, luggage, and 3 other people - this truck still gets it done. Comfortably. With 150K on the clock, I've only replaced a fuel pump. I love this truck so much, i can't bear to trade it in. I've promised it to my mechanic, who admires it as much as I do. Say what you want about Dodge, I LOVE mine.

Leather seats get better with age, like an old pair of boots. Stoping on the accelerator with the 5.9 (360 cu.in.) motor STILL thrills me to death - and this 5,000 pound hauler still handles like a sports car. Some fit & finish issues are cropping up after 8 years, but I haven't loved a car this much, enough to keep it 8+ years, since the 80's. It's just a good, old, American Dodge truck.

By now, i'm hoping Chrysler has figured out a way to eek out more respectable miles per gallon, and I surmise this was one of the reasons that the new (2011) Durango was based on the Grand Cherokee platform.