Used 2003 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Right Sized SUV
By Rob

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have enjoyed this vehicle immensely. It is comfortable, tows heavy loads with ease, great for long trips with wife and kids, and for short trips with the added in-laws (3rd row). Manageable gas mileage from the 4.7L V8 - 16-17 around town and 18-19 on the highway. Bought used and driven over 50000 miles and planning to double that. Only one problem to note - blower motor resistor bank - which I easily replaced.

4WD, rear Air, third row. Easily tows heavy trailers, 4 wheel disc brakes - braking distance is much shorter than my Silverado. Tons of luggage space, when 3rd row is down. Trouble free, decent mileage and good looks.

Better stereo speakers, like the Chevrolet cruise control on the turn signal lever much better.

Sleeper
By moparman

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Durango. It's fast, looks good, very easy to drive (once you have owned it for about a week). Lots of power, great AWD system. Has everything but a sunroof.

That 5.9 motor look and feel. It's a suv that thinks it's a sports car.

MPG has to be the biggest dow fall of the Durangos and price of tires for the r/t

Saved my life
By rebadeba

2003 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've been from Montana to Michigan 2 round trips alone (female) and didn't feel the highway gas mileage was bad at all. I'm used to driving in snow all my life & a week ago completely totaled my Durango on a very icy bridge (many people have wrecked on this dangerous long, narrow bridge, my stupidity). I thought I was going to go over the railing into the Yellowstone River that night! The Durango slammed from side to side, spun around several times & slammed over & over. I walked away without a scratch on me! The tow truck driver said that I was lucky I was driving a Durango (didn't flip) they are tough! I will go get another. it's worth the safety & never needed repairs 70,000 miles!

Good looks, safety, reliability, easy switch to 4x4, dual control thermostat.

Heat vent and cup holders for back seat (without putting down center console). People in back seat get hot in summer and cold in winter.

Good but not great
By Durango Don

2003 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I used to own a Subaru WRX but when my wife became pregnant I decided I needed something a little bigger. We had looked at a Grand Cherokee we liked but I decided to purchase the Durango. I enjoy owning the Durango but there are so many small things that always catch my attention. Minor noises when I start the engine, the way it idles, the way it accelerates sometimes, etc. I am always afraid something is breaking. I am probably just paranoid because so far I have had to take it to the dealer every month to have something fixed. I think my best purchase may have been the warranty.

I love the AWD, leather seats, nice cup holders, third row, center console, V8, acceleration when I don't feel it's acting up, overall vehicle.

Well by this point they have already taken the vehicle to a full size SUV but I would have suggested making it a little more expensive looking inside. I don't mind the interior but I don't think it matched how expensive the vehicle was to begin with.

It's the best vehicle
By Christopher Harringt

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

and a pleasure driving. The performance and power are great. However it uses too much fuel.

the engine,and transmission