Used 1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Amazing after 12 Years
By brasky98

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

Received this truck after wrapping a Toyota around a telephone pole... This truck is amazing with its reliability. Turn the key and it starts right up. Gets me to work 5 days a week and hauls drywall, mulch or gravel the other 2. The worst I have had to do is complete brakes 3 years ago. Engine is strong, tranny tight, gets me where I need to be. Only dings, dents or rust is what I've caused. I'll drive this baby until the wheels fall of. Probably will subsidize her with a new sedan here in a month or two but its about time. 12 years and still running strong!

Reliability, Payload, did I mention the reliability? Cost of ownership is negligible at worst...

Headliner failed, cup holders can be a kneebanger (if that's the worst, who cares..)

A great truck -The 1996 Dodge Dakota
By Mike

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

My wife and I have owned our Dakota since September of 1995 when we bought it new. I will drive it 'til the day it dies , and I don't think that will be any time soon! It has been a SUPER truck! I have hauled all sorts of things in it, gone on vacation in it,driven it to work daily for years and it has never let me down. It has 132,000 miles on it, burns NO oil and runs as well as the day we drove it off the lot! Not counting oil changes and tires, I have probably spent less than 500 dollars in repairs and upkeep in all those years! If you need a great light to medium duty truck for daily use, if you can find one in good shape that has been well maintained , you can't go wrong here!

Reasonably comfortable, hauls more than an S-10 or a Ranger (by far), requires only basic upkeep, and is dependable as the sunrise!

A little more cab room would be great for carrying groceries behind the seat, that's about it... it's a great truck and gets good gas mileage, which at $3.50 gal. is critical.

This truck rocks
By sydbarrett1970

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had my '96 sport 2.5 4 cyl. for 4 years now, bought it when it had 103,000 miles on it, one previous owner, and let me you, this truck is seriously well built. Dodge apparantly used an engine that was unique to all the other Dakotas of the period, (at least for the 4 cyl model), a motor designed for Jeep, it was originally designed by a collaboration of engine makers, (Renault, Chrysler, and maybe a third party?) Anyway, anyone I have ever talked to says the same...this truck is really built to last. One person I spoke with said he sold his when it had 300,000 on it and it still ran strong. I absolutely love mine.

Peppy 2.5 liter magnum is quick. It's dependability. I am a flooring installer who typically carries alot of weight to my jobs and have been doing so with my truck since I bought it and this truck has no problems whatsoever with really bulking it down. I suggest LT's or RT's for the tires though.

None

Never let you down.
By broadripple1

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck on Ebay, and thought I got stuck with a lemon. The gas guage does not work, but on everything else, my initial impression was flat wrong. This vehicle is a low maintenance winner. It hauls everything (bricks, lawn tractor, boards, etc), including long distance, and other than the normal maintenance, I have not spent an extra dime on this truck in four years of ownership. It's simple to operate, and I'll keep it forever.

If you want a good work truck at a great price, this is it. It won't let you down. Great value.

Fix the gas guages. The periwinkle color does not work on a truck. Always looking to get better MPG. I get 20 consistently with a 6 cylinder. Not bad, but they can do better.

Great truck!
By Dave

1996 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had my '96 Dakota for 8 years, and it still looks and runs great with 98,000 miles on it. I've replaced the water pump and the A/C system (I live in Florida), and I've made cosmetic repairs to the interior. The 4 cyl. engine does not burn or leak oil, and the 5-speed transmission shifts smoothly and is fun to drive. The original factory white paint still looks great. I drive it almost every day, and it is still excellent transportation. With the tough plastic bed liner, this is a VERY rugged and dependable truck!

5-speed manual transmission. Rugged plastic bed liner. Quality of body design & build.

Quality of interior trim pieces. Tachometer would be nice with manual transmission.