1999 Chevrolet Suburban 5.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 1999 Suburban - long term

1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Review

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

1999 Suburban - long term ownership
By Rob on

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Suburban new from the dealer with long distance driving in mind. The 4x4 option was not a consideration, but ended up with it anyway. Due to the weight of this vehicle it does go through brakes and tires frequently. Tire vibration indicates the tires have reached their limit. I've replaced all suspension pieces, upgrading as I go, as well as all electrical (starter, alternator) and the water pump/radiator. I strongly suggest upgrading components as they fail and follow the recommended replacement schedule for the fuel filter. My original fuel pump still works fine after 136,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Room for the kids and their sports gear, large tank (went 700 miles last summer without a required gas stop).

Suggested Improvements

Aircondition compressor is of poor design. AC Delco parts failed more frequently than aftermarket replacements. Best to go with upgrades when replacing parts, especially brake and electrical parts.