1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
1999 with 307K
By starratlarry on 03/11/14 11:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in October 1998. I have been good with changing engine oil. When I floor it to get to hiway speed, no oil burning at all. That 5.7L engine just hums. In the time I have had this thing, I have replaced radiator, complete air conditioner system, various front end components as they wore out, catalytic converter, transfer case, battery twice, tires 4 times, 100K maintenance 3 times, an occasional electrical problem. still has original exhaust except for catalytic converter. 4 wheel drive LOW won't engage now. CD player has seen better days..radio and cassette OK, power windows, lights and power seats no problems ever. I would get another one. this baby is about done. Luv it

Love My Burb
By ginsnap on 10/06/11 20:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 99 'burb in 2002 with 36000 miles. it now has over 180000 miles. It has been reliable vehicle overall. I always kept up the maintenance, but as it got older more has to be repaired. which is typical of any vehicle I believe. I've had it everywhere on vacations to hunting trips, I've pulled campers and various trailers with no problem at all. I did have to replace the fuel pump four times. But I put some of that on my "mechanic". Now it leaks oil, not profusely, but it does, and I need to repair the cooling system. Not too bad for 180000 miles though. I loved it, took care of it, said I'd keep it until it dies. Sadly, she just about has.

Suburban is dead at 137k
By camperrc on 09/14/11 00:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suburban with 123,000 Oct, 2007. Dec 29th 2009 fuel pump died 130,500. Jan 17th 2010134,000 head gasket rotted away. 137,752 cracked cyilinder. I paid 14,000 for a suburban to get me just over 14000 miles. Complete waste of money! Truck is worth 300 to 500 as it sits right now. The other autos (non GM) I have owned never had any of these problems and I drive most of my autos to 200,000 miles.

GM stinks
By nomorgm on 08/30/11 21:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LS 4dr SUV

Bought this burb from my parents who bought it new. I knew the vehicle and have driven 40000 miles of the 100,000 miles. Replaced intake gasket as soon as I got it home (parents parked on gravel and noone noticed the leak). Replaced the starter after 1 month. Power door locks stick and will not lock. Rear window quit working. Brakes very spongy but have plenty of pad left on them. Replaced the fuel pump at 120,000 miles. Rear end went out at 125,000 miles. Gas milage is 17 mpg which is average. Wears out tires every 15 to 20000 miles (use load range c tires). Overall a money pit but still cheaper than a new one.

Trade down due to economic slowdown
By Heathj1 on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The day I got my 99 Suburban it was a sad day or so I thought. I had to trade my 05 Chevy extended z71 truck that I had bought new off the show room floor. I traded my truck for Suburban to get out of payments and got some cash back. I was only getting 30-35 hours at work for about 3 months something had to give. Suburban has 136K miles on it rides and pulls better then my 05. I was bummed that I had to trade my truck but I think I got a better truck in return. I pulled 2 3/4 tons truck back to the house on the trailer 80 miles each trip put in 3 gear and set cruise for 60 mph. It didn't ever shift down. It unlocked covter for a couple of bigger hills. Going to take it on vacation.

The Classic SUV that sets the standard
By DAD OF FOUR on 08/14/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned five 1999 Suburbans. I also own an Excursion for family trips. Between the two, I'd take the suburban any day. The excursion is a truck, plain and simple. Huge, cavernous. The Suburban is comfortable and quiet. Yes, the gas mileage is in the 'teens, but the trade off is the safety and comfort of those riding inside. The Suburban is easy to turn, provided you know what you're doing. You can load it up and still have room, and even after 12 years, the interiors still look good and feel tight - and not the cheap plastic highlights that are in cars today. With regular maintenance, these SUVs can literally run forever.

Awesome Truck
By msagewilson on 08/12/10 18:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I inherited my Suburban when I turned 16, it was my dads when his '85 GMC Blazer went out. It wasn't the prettiest ride when I got it, but thats changing now. I plan on finishing it with bigger, meaner wheels, a dual magnaflow, new trim, and new sound system. Its a very aggressive truck, and can go anywhere it can fit. I did have trouble with the coolant system, a series of problems arose after I waited too long to replace a bad radiator, my mistake, but other than that, NO problems. I turned down 2 newer cars to keep this truck, and I've never regretted it once. Long live the Suburban

'99 Suburban LT - Not worth the $$
By bilz3 on 07/12/10 08:18 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this used & had 85K miles on it. At 95k the fuel pump failed, $700. At 100k the upper intake gasket had to be replaced, $900. At 120k the trans failed, $1900. At 125k the steering box failed, $300 and I fixed that myself. Now at 163k the a/c won't blow from the vents and I was told that the whole dash has to come out. Also, one of the catalytic converters is bad. Overall, if I knew then what I know now we NEVER would have bought it. Biggest piece of crap I've ever owned.

White one
By landiran on 06/10/10 15:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I got a 99 suburban ls White. I got it in 06 with 120,000 miles. At first I hated this truck, it was in the shop often. So far intake gasket, 2 fuel pumps, water pump, fuel injection system, and brakes both rear and front. I just thought it was an older truck in need of some TLC. I was right now that the list of things have been done 2 it, it runs like a champ and now has 192,000 miles on it. I don't plan to ever get rid of it. I will always drive a suburban, wouldn't have it any other way. Whatever breaks I hope I can afford to fix it.

Love the 'burban
By eholmes on 05/16/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck in '04 with 87K after my pregnant wife complained that her new caravan stunk in the snow. Well the Suburban has been with us ever since. This thing is a Sherman tank in the snow. The amount of room in this thing still amazes me. We fit a new washer and dryer in this thing behind the second row seats. Did the same thing with a Christmas tree. The reliability has been exceptional too. Replaced pads and rotors right after I bought it, then again last year with 122K. The only other repair I had to make was the intake gasket at about 100K which was about $500. Long live the "burban