Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

With Chevy you never know what you're gonna get
By Steph

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know some people luck out and get the kind of Suburban that "runs forever!!" but I will never buy a Chevy again. The amount of space inside is nice and cargo space is great, but that's about it. The interior components are all snapping apart (plastic), and though the seats have all sorts of adjustments, I cannot get a comfortable fit for me (I've never had a problem in any other vehicle). It is also a gas hog... at best we've gotten 13.5 mpg highway (it's rated at 12/16). I was expecting a bit of a hog, but hoping closer to 15 or so. I also find it VERY difficult to see out the back with the barn door style--the doorway edges block the view from your rear view mirror. In addition, the rear seat isn't as wide as the middle and I struggled to fit 3 booster seats back there. I expected more from such a huge car--my little tiny minivan has the same width in the 3rd row.
Now, for the mechanical part--at 90K miles, it needed a new engine, at 110K it needed a new transmission, at 135K it needed a new transfer case (this one is because over time, the oil pump inside the transfer case drills a hole in it... just great). I've put a ton of money into it and can't get anywhere near that back for it. I wish I would've just gotten the Honda Odyssey for my family hauler. This thing has been a money pit.

"Timex" keeps on ticking
By C. R. Hiebert

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Great family vehicle. Bought used with less than 100,000 miles when the kids were home, kids are all grown and the odometer is at 290,000.
Have hauled children and their gear all over, survived County Fairs and innumerable 4-H animal projects. Pulled the Horse trailer up to the State Fair
through City traffic, loaded with camping gear for the week, she made it just fine. A car ran into her side, spun her around, totaled the car, bent the Suburban's rear-axel, passengers shook-up but a-OK, she drove home & got repaired. Three deer have bounced off the grill guard in the front and the only damage is a dent in the corner of the hood. She has driven me back and forth through roads and weather that has been just plain nasty, definitely dependable and reliable. Chevy dealer in town is fantastic about keeping her serviced and running. Well worth the money.

1999 with 307K
By starratlarry

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in October 1998. I have been
good with changing engine oil. When I floor it to get to hiway speed, no oil burning at all. That 5.7L engine just hums. In the time I have had this thing, I have replaced radiator, complete air conditioner system, various front end components as they wore out, catalytic converter, transfer case, battery twice, tires 4 times, 100K maintenance 3 times, an occasional electrical problem. still has original exhaust except for catalytic converter. 4 wheel drive LOW won't engage now. CD player has seen better days..radio and cassette
OK, power windows, lights and power seats no problems ever. I would get another one. this baby is about done. Luv it

4 wheel drive and rear AC

Love My Burb
By ginsnap

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 99 'burb in 2002 with 36000 miles. it now has over 180000 miles. It has been reliable vehicle overall. I always kept up the maintenance, but as it got older more has to
be repaired. which is typical of any vehicle I believe. I've had it everywhere on vacations to hunting trips, I've pulled campers and various trailers with no problem at all.
I did have to replace the fuel pump four times. But I put some of that on my "mechanic".
Now it leaks oil, not profusely, but it does, and I need to repair the cooling system. Not too bad for 180000 miles though.
I loved it, took care of it, said I'd keep it until it dies. Sadly, she just about has.

Suburban is dead at 137k
By camperrc

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suburban with 123,000 Oct, 2007.
Dec 29th 2009 fuel pump died 130,500.
Jan 17th 2010134,000 head gasket rotted away. 137,752 cracked cyilinder.

I paid 14,000 for a suburban to get me just over 14000 miles.

Complete waste of money!
Truck is worth 300 to 500 as it sits right now.

The other autos (non GM) I have owned
never had any of these problems and I drive most of my autos to 200,000 miles.

Seating is comfortable! Push button 4x4 and part time 4x4 is really nice.

I have owned three GM terrible products. I swear for the rest of my life I will never, never, never, never ever again buy another product of theirs again as long as I live. GM has failed me completely and I would be stupid to let them fool me again.