2014 Chevrolet Spark Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Spark - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spark model:

Chevy & Yugo mated and the result ? The Spark
By sillyemail1982

2014 Chevrolet Spark Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl CVT)

What a hunk of JUNK !! Bought this fine quality GM product 7 months ago, brand new. Out of the 7 months ? It was at the dealer for 2 months total. 7 month old car with a MASSIVE OIL LEAK from the valve covers, 3 recalls, rear latch breakage and bad tire pressure sensors no one could figure out how to clear the code. Chevy has re-invented the Vega got the "quality" from Yugo & created the Spark. Road noise is horrible !! Fit and finish is a JOKE !! The door chime causes loss of hearing. It's a plastic hot mess. And the black paint is an upgrade ? Junk all the way. Traded it in yesterday on a far more reliable method of transportation. That car should of been recalled & forgotten about.

Favorite Features

Only redeeming quality of the Spark is the 4 door hatch. It's a neat looking car. It's a shame Chevy missed the mark with this one.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements ? Where to start. How bout actually making a good, quality entry level automobile for the money ? Road noise through the floorboards is horrible the engine noise is deafening. Fit and finish needs to be worked on. Also the side handles above your head ? DANGEROUS. I hit my head a bunch of times on those things. remove the handle and how bout replacing it with a air bag ? That things HURTS. Scrap this one and go back to the drawing board.

Quirky, but loveable
By tishpit1

2014 Chevrolet Spark Hatchback 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl CVT)

Have a 2014 Spark LT1 with nearly 18,000 miles on her (I drive a lot). This car has it +'s and -'s, that's for sure. PROS: The driving position is comfortable for me and I have a horrible back, so it's hard finding a car that doesn't cause me pain. This one is kinda fun to drive and handles very well for an econo-car. Roomy cargo area with nearly-flat folding rear seat. Dash is nice and touch-screen radio also works well. MPG is avg. 38+ in mixed driving in Florida (level, but lots of a/c). Recommend dealer installed fog lights for night/bad weather driving. CONS: had bad hesitation problem and lurching at very slow speeds but "cured" by using 89 octane gas. A/c is poor - weak fan.

Favorite Features

Seating comfort, handling, roomy interior for size, touch-screen radio/Bluetooth, MPG better than my old Metro, kinda cute in a cult-like way.

Suggested Improvements

Need a more powerful a/c fan, advise use of 89 octane gas to eliminate drivability problems, CVT revs and feels like it's slipping at times... go to a regular 5-spd. auto tranny and drop the CVT or improve mannerisms on current CVT.

Honeymoon is ending already?
By tishpit1

2014 Chevrolet Spark Hatchback 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl CVT)

After looking for a high mileage, low cost car that has a real backseat or can fit 3 dogs with seat folded down, Spark was the best choice. Test drive was impressive. But, the honeymoon is over at 14,000 miles. 2 recalls being done (a/c that is very anemic and PVC), the car hesitates at times so bad, you press the accelerator and it just sits there...scary! (CVT) It lurches, especially at slow, parking lot speeds. "Quirky" at first, now it's annoying and more pronounced. Sound system is crappy, though touch screen is nice. Various int. noises come and go. Build quality for the long haul appears very questionable.

Favorite Features

PRICE! Front seats are comfortable and positioning is very good. Mileage is impressive at 38 avg. with a/c going, on level pavement, mostly suburban driving (SW Florida). Can hold decent amount of stuff with both rear seats folded, though wish they folded completely flat. There's a slight tilt to them, but better than most competition. Great packaging for int. room. Exterior has "bug" appearance... not sharp, but graphics improved the look! Touchscreen radio is very nice overall, worked better than my old Sync in a Ford Escape. Bluetooth works well.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning is very anemic and the fan seems weak. Hoping the recall helps. The performance was very nice at first, but as time went on, she did not age well. Lots of hesitation, especially when having to pull out quickly...don't even try flooring it; it just sits there and revs. Can be scary to merge into traffic due to this trait. It lurches at times like its being driven by a teenager learning a stick. This is very noticeable going under 30 MPH, like in a parking lot. Chevy needs to revisit the transmission as I've had 2 other cars with CVT's and NONE did this. Top tier gas doesn't make difference. Car tends to gradually veer to the left... alignment at 14,000 miles?

I love my Spark!
By janine67219

2014 Chevrolet Spark Hatchback 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl CVT)

I just bought my 2014 Spark at Davis-Moore. I love this car! It is small but spacious. My tall grandchildren fit comfortably. The little storage area holds more than it appears it would. Going from a 95 Mercury to this is like day and night on gas. It's the cutest little ladybug on the road. Would recommend.

Favorite Features

Backseat leg room and headroom is more spacious than it appears.

Blown Motor
By got1onme

2014 Chevrolet Spark Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove a 2014 Spark at my local dealership, I noticed the "check engine" light was on when the salesman and I returned to the dealership. I like the car's build so I purchased another Spark, one with more up grades on it, It had only 11 miles on it. I bought the car and after just 3 1/2 weeks, the "Check Engine" light came on in my new Spark while on my way home from work white smoke poured out from under the bottom of the car. I am very disappointed because I was so proud of my little car. I am in a rental waiting on GM to send a new motor

Favorite Features

I love the color, the style, fuel efficiency, I have the touch screen panel for my phone/On Star and Sirius radio.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest a larger arm rest, as it currently sits so low that the driver has to lean in to rest on the arm rest.