Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Sonic

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Sophie the Sonic is a great car for my teen driver
By SBS

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very well suited for my new teen driver. We love the many airbags and it's size is easy for her to handle. We have big SUV's and Crossovers so this smaller car was much needed. Don't let the size fool you - my husband 6 ft. 2 in. and not a small guy and can sit in the front and back very comfortably. The price point was great and we love Chevy's and GMC's so this was a great buy for us.

I own TWO 2012 Sonics... Read this Review!
By Gary N

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I'm not sure what some people do with their cars. We have TWO 2012 Sonic LT Auto's, both with the 1.8L engine. One is a Sedan and the other is a Hatch. I like the sedan a bit better because is is actually longer, giving more cargo space in most cases. Plus, due to aerodynamics, the sedan gets better MPG, especially on the highway, where we routinely get 37-38 MPG out of that car. But, I also like the hatch, because it has the bigger wheels and fog lights. If it only got the same MPG... There have been a few recall issues, but not many. I do my own oil/filter changes and full synthetic is the way to go. Both cars currently have 1 tire that has been repaired. The only odd thing on the sedan was the air intake hose between the air box and manifold cracked on the sedan and that tripped the engine light. It was a $35 part, so I just replaced it in the garage. On the hatch, I took a pot-holed exit ramp too fast and broke a ball joint, so that was $150 with labor and alignment. Other than that, we have about 75K miles combined an ZERO unexpected repairs. BTW tie rods and ball joints on smaller cars are almost routine maintenance when driving on Michigan roads. Overall pretty good repair record, in my opinion. These are good cars for the money. The insurance is reasonable (we are over 50) they ride pretty well for being so small, especially compared to the imports. We live in Michigan and have full sets of snow tires for these cars, since the factory tires are useless in the snow. But, with the right tires, they are good in winter. I routinely drive though 6-8 inches of snow and isolated patches up to a foot and have never been stranded. The sedan was rear-ended early on, and the fix was done well at the dealership. We take care of our cars and these have been particularly trouble-free. But, a lot of younger people buy these cars and maybe they don't take care of them. Also, a lot of used Sonics are coming on the market now from rental fleets, so they might not have been cared for that well either. The flood of rental returns is also lowering the resale right now. All things considered, I'd buy another one tomorrow, probably a turbo LT sedan.

Critics Overlook this Valuable Car
By sonicdriver

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new car purchase after college. I've grown up driving Hyundai, Mercury, Ford, etc, but never a Chevrolet. The dealer and service support is fantastic, and this car is worth every penny. After 50k miles, I've only needed one minor repair on the fuel valve, and the warranty covered everything. This car has some road noise, but that's what happens when you're in a small, fast car low to the ground on the highway. Yes, gas and brakes are sensitive in the best way possible - I've lived in Dallas for four years and have never gotten in an accident, thanks to the amazing brake response. Acceleration is super easy - I've caught myself speeding a few times without meaning to. The car handles well and the alignment is still perfect four years after purchasing. The A/C is super efficient and the sound system is decent enough. There is major storage space. The only drawback is that the car IS little, so not perfect for roadtrips of 4 or more people, considering rear seat space. The size of the car makes up for it since there's no parking space too small for this car, but it totally doesn't feel like a small car from the driver or front passenger seat. Perfect for families of three or less. My average MPG in the DFW area is around 32, but gets up to 45 on long road trips. Definitely would buy again.

Great car, handles very well
By Marie Houk Houk

1.4 turbo 6 speed manual
By Mark Sicafuse

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is fun to drive. No mechanical issues other than sway bar links covered under warranty. Sport package with 17" wheels not super great in northeast Ohio winters but the other 10 months a joy to drive and own .