Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

I love this car, 100,000k review 2012 Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
By jfus

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2012 Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo automatic. Bought brand new. I've been doing city driving/long distance trips (300+ miles) on freeways/rural roads. I drove in cool/warm/hot desert weather. Acceleration, steering, braking is great. Interior is comfy and roomy. Only issue I had was with cooling system. During first 5K miles, hoses started to leak. Later on at 38k miles~ water pump started to leak, and was replaced. At 75k miles~ radiator needed to be replaced (due to hole). At 98k miles engine overheated due to water pump leaking and thermostat issue; Water pump replaced again, therm. also. All repair issues were covered through 100k warranty (except for radiator, warranty ends at 60k).

Favorite Features

Interior: Comfortable and spacious for four people (five it gets crowded). Performance: 1.4L Turbo is peppy and responsive (way better than the 1.8L). Design: Car looks sporty. Motorcycle inspired lights and interior tachometer is cool. Though interior materials are on the cheap side. Reliability: Very reliable. Only issue I had was with cooling system (though I did drive in extremely hot desert weather on many of my trips).

Suggested Improvements

-Interior materials could be better -Cooling system issues need to be addressed from the start in future models.

2012 Chevy Sonic Hatchback
By katiec3

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought this car used a few days ago, and so far I really enjoy it. My last car was a Jeep Wrangler, and while nothing compares to that, I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like this car. It gets pretty decent gas mileage, the inside is surprisingly roomy and with the folding seats and extra space from the hatchback, I'm excited to see what I can fit back there. I commute to two different jobs and to school 6 days a week, so having a fuel efficient and more reliable car was becoming a must have. I wanted something with a similar amount of room as my Jeep and in the hatchback style. I will be sure to post if my opinion changes, but so far I am very happy!

Favorite Features

I love the hatchback for the extra room, it is quick to accelerate (at least to me coming from a slug of a jeep), and the seats are comfortable. The sound system is nice and clear and the AUX port is convenient. It is a lot bigger than it looks, but it is still comfortable and easy to drive. Out of all the cars in it's class, I liked this body style the most although the Accent was a close second. It looks and feels super sporty which makes the price I paid even better. I can't wait to take it camping and see how it does on the hilly roads and highways!

Suggested Improvements

There are a few things that I don't particularly care for, but they were certainly not deal breakers. First is the super awkward arm rest on the drivers seat. Maybe its because I'm 5'2", but it gets in the way. Thankfully it folds up so I just leave it that way or hang my purse on it. Second, like a lot of people said, the cup holders are kind of awkwardly placed between the seats. I laughed when I first read about it but now that I see, I understand. No big deal though. Last, I'm not sure if anyone else experienced this but the brakes seem a little soft. They seem to get softer and depress further as the car downshifts when coming to a stop. I've gotten used to it, but Its weird at first.

Things start falling appart
By wilhitejm

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I drive about 120 miles per day and do get a little better gas mileage than my last car. The problem is the gas tank is so small I have to fuel up every other day, although the tank is smaller than my last car. My check engine light started coming on recently and I had the codes checked, indicating an oxygen sensor. I checked and the bold that holds the bracket and wiring for the oxygen sensor had fallen out and was gone leaving the oxygen sensor cable on the hot manifold. Can't find the bolt so I have it zip tied to a little loop on the engine. I have checked some forums and it is common on the Sonic and Cruz (same motor) The engine over temp light started coming on as well.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is nice for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the wind noise around doors, better sound-proofing. Way too loud in the car. Speakers/stereo sound horrible. Car is very unsteady and can "dart" around.

33k on 2012 Sonic
By gnonnemacher

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car new. Stock tires are useless in MI winters, so 4 snows are used in winter. Still gets 30+ mpg with snows! Good equipment package on LT models. We just got back from a trip to the UP of Michigan. Got 38.5 mpg overall and its rated at 35 hwy. I'm picky about my cars and this one has had minor damage and repairs (others fault) twice. Drives very well at highway speeds and has usable seating for four. Holds a good amount of cargo with rear seats folded down, even in the sedan. No mechanical problems or issues to date. My only complaint is that it is not very forgiving on rough roads and we have a lot of those around here.

Favorite Features

Remote start in Winter. AC in summer.

Suggested Improvements

1.3 turbo diesel option like overseas... Easily would get 50+ mpg.

Decent little car that I recommend, but I had some issues
By donovan1983

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got the base LT hatchback with no cruise control or bluetooth and with the 5-speed manual. It's a fun little car to drive due to handling and braking, though I came to dislike the drivetrain a bit. I took a lot of longer trips in the car and it is great for that, both in comfort and in gas mileage. I recently traded it in, however, mostly due to a need to get something with an automatic transmission so I could share the car and to get something a little larger. I feel build quality could have been a little better, though many of my issues could have been due to having a first-year model. Despite my issues I'd still recommend this car and think it's a great value.

Favorite Features

I consistently beat the EPA figures for gas mileage in this thing. 37MPG on the highway at 70MPH with the air conditioner on is quite realistic. The standard 6-speaker stereo sounds good enough. Interior is comfortable enough for long trips. Lots of interior room despite the small exterior. With the standard 15" alloy wheels replacement tires are plentiful and cheap. Handling is surprisingly fun and the brakes work well. I loved having automatic headlights with daytime running lights standard. Has a sharp and fun-looking exterior. Never failed to start nor left me stranded in the just over 2 years I owned it.

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning worked okay but not particularly great despite bogging down the engine. The clutch has requires way too much pedal travel. The transmission is incredibly notchy and the shifter, even with upgraded bushings, is imprecise which makes shifting a chore after a while. Too much noise from the chassis, especially after a few thousand miles. Although I could still hold a conversation easily at highway speeds there was still an excess of wind noise. The stock tires are terrible and should be replaced ASAP. Some build quality issues and I've had a few too many visits to the dealership for them.