Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

I Love Mine
By Jack Montague

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchase my 3 door LS extended cab 2WD 2.2L in August of 2001 brand new off the dealership lot and have been happy ever since. Almost 14 years and 116,000 miles later we're still together and going down the road. I have always loved the reliability and simplicity of my S-10 (I'm old so it gets more points since it's so simple!) All I have done is preventative maintenance and nothing else, I've never had issues with it except a new exhaust system last year. It hasn't gotten any rust and seems to be a good truck for the money since I didn't want the Silverado MPG. I took it on a 410 mile trip last weekend without any issues and the 4 cylinder got 24 MPG and that's with the hilly Missouri terrain with the Cruise Control set to 70. I really love this truck and since it's lasted 13 ILL winters without any issues I'll keep it for another 13+!

RELIABLE
By ironclad

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well, what can I say, LOL......I bought this truck back in 2002 as a puddle jumper for commuting back and forth to work. I considered this truck a cheap consumable. I figured that once it died I would buy another. The truck will not die. The truck now has 192000 miles on it and it rattles like a tin can. I haven't treated this truck very well and have done nothing to it but oil changes, brakes when needed and a clutch job at 170000 miles. I don't think the power steering pump even works anymore, but hey it still steers down the road. The 2.2L engine is lacking in power but never fails to start, ever.....darn it, ever.....I've tried to kill it, but it just won't die.....

My Favorite thing about this truck is that it gets me to work every day. I have put very little money into the truck and treat it poorly and it just won't die.......I change the oil in it myself, but other than that I have never taken it to the dealer for scheduled maintenance checks. I did do a tune up once! The check engine light came on at around 80000 and I ignored it, I think the truck gave up and the light went off on it's own and still it won't just die. Now I'm thinking, you know, this truck has treated me well over the last 12 years and I probably should start treating it better. It has grown on me.

As far as "suggested improvements", well I don't know. Better door hinges I guess. The door hinges are now so bad on this truck that when it rains, the inside door panels get wet. I have to slam the drivers side door to get it to close. I figure the door will fall off one of these days. I cannot complain too much though because I've treated this truck poorly and refused to spend money on it and it just won't die. After 12 long years of driving this thing, I look at the truck and think about burying it in the back yard, you know......If it EVER dies......It's been a great truck :)

SMOOTH RUNNING
By JOHN

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great little pickup for light hauling. Drives smooth & straight with excellent brakes. Manual transmission is fine. My 4 cyl gets 23 mpg. I do have trouble with the emmision pump (so the computer says) system but it does not effect the running of the unit.

Easy to get into with lots of head room. Running gear is smooth and quiet.

Make it easy to read what is wrong with the truck when the service engine light comes on. Should have a read out system on board.

Great truck
By brandon

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Simply put you can't beat an S-10. They will take anything you can throw at them. Everything I have asked this truck to do it has. During week drove it back and forth to college and then to work all week and on weekend I do everything from service coal truck I haul big tireds, usally more that one 50 gallon drum and drove back on strip jobs where most people would never dream of taking a 2-drive. Not saying I didn't get stuck sometimes, and at same as time would take home from doing that wash it up and take out to bar. Even in winter went most people park their 2 wheeldrive I didn't. I would just throw 200 250 pounds in the back. Old 4.3 would just idle its way around. Sometime I had spend my way out

The fact it never let me down no matter what I would throw at it

Nothing

Can't get rid of it.
By Mi Yow

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is a 2 door black 4.3L V6 step side bed with the ZQ8 five-star wheels and it sits a little low. Every time I decide it's about time to sell it, I get it washed and someone compliments how nice it looks and they're right. The ride is so bumpy and hard that it is embarrassing for passengers, there appears to be interior room until you put someone in there, the brakes take a little while to get the million pound thing to stop, and it's not easy to keep the rear end still when trying to start off too fast, but all of those things are good too if you think about it. I just can't seem to make myself buy another truck. Spending +$25K to get something new isn't worth more than my 18MPG.

Torque, beautiful, wheels, towing, A/C so cold it's shocking, sliding rear window transforms bed into trash can, step side look, exhaust rumble is perfect, same size as a Jetta interestingly so it fits everywhere, but good luck turning it into wherever you need to because it don't - wide tires!

Turning radius!! Brakes dear god, MPGs of course, suspension is too stiff. Classic Chevy door problem of falling off of hinge and not shutting correctly. Hayes manual not really tangible when describing problems or solutions, headlamps and brake calipers need special keys to adjust or remove.

• SUV