Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

RELIABLE
By ironclad

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well, what can I say, LOL......I bought this truck back in 2002 as a puddle jumper for commuting back and forth to work. I considered this truck a cheap consumable. I figured that once it died I would buy another. The truck will not die. The truck now has 192000 miles on it and it rattles like a tin can. I haven't treated this truck very well and have done nothing to it but oil changes, brakes when needed and a clutch job at 170000 miles. I don't think the power steering pump even works anymore, but hey it still steers down the road. The 2.2L engine is lacking in power but never fails to start, ever.....darn it, ever.....I've tried to kill it, but it just won't die.....

Favorite Features

My Favorite thing about this truck is that it gets me to work every day. I have put very little money into the truck and treat it poorly and it just won't die.......I change the oil in it myself, but other than that I have never taken it to the dealer for scheduled maintenance checks. I did do a tune up once! The check engine light came on at around 80000 and I ignored it, I think the truck gave up and the light went off on it's own and still it won't just die. Now I'm thinking, you know, this truck has treated me well over the last 12 years and I probably should start treating it better. It has grown on me.

Suggested Improvements

As far as "suggested improvements", well I don't know. Better door hinges I guess. The door hinges are now so bad on this truck that when it rains, the inside door panels get wet. I have to slam the drivers side door to get it to close. I figure the door will fall off one of these days. I cannot complain too much though because I've treated this truck poorly and refused to spend money on it and it just won't die. After 12 long years of driving this thing, I look at the truck and think about burying it in the back yard, you know......If it EVER dies......It's been a great truck :)

good luck with this truck
By judyh66

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This truck was a money pit. Check engine light tortured me daily. I spent so much money (thousands) of dollars trying to get rid of this light. Then the abs light and brake light came on and lit up my dash for 3 yrs. Nobody could fix it. They would turn off the light with their machines and I would drive around the block and theres the lights right back on. After 18k I traded it in for 4k and just got the nightmare out of my life. Will never buy another one.

Favorite Features

I loved the look

Great and sporty
By titanicbuff

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We own a 2001 Chevy S-10 Extended cab. We've never had any major problems, although we did replace the radiator- but that was normal ware and tear. I do find I have to turn the key twice sometimes to start it and the rear door latch broke- The 4.3 liter V6 gets great gas mileage and the truck drives more like a small car. It tows great wit the built in bumper pull package. In the snow even without sandbags it does fairly well. I've never really slid in it and eel safe. The drawbacks are the doors don't close all the way sometimes and The rear door handle is broken but I don't use the back door anyway. The truck gets to be a little noisy but thats just about right for any truck it seems.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior is warm and inviting, lumbar is great on long drives, seats are comfortable, 2 accessory plugs, 6 cup holders (2 in back 4 in front including one in each front door), Defrosters fro mirrors come in handy when one lives in a snow climate like Colorado, Handling is superb.

Suggested Improvements

Door latch in back

Don't Believe Published MPG
By beachguy46

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Chevy S-10 is a great looking truck. Mine is painted the 2001 version of a midnight metallic blue and it is really sharp. I have the extended cab version and its very comfortable for a small vehicle. Visibility is great, and parking is easy. Great stereo and CD player. A big disappointment is the low performance of the 4 cyl. engine and the very disappointing miles per gallon. I drive the truck very conservatively yet can only get about 17 mpg. in combined highway and city driving. Not very good for a vehicle with a 4 cylinder low performance engine. I would recommend the 6 cyl. version of this truck. Since the same body style was made for many years, spare parts are readily available.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks with the factory aluminum wheels is awesome especially in the factory midnight blue metallic with the aluminum wheels. I also like the factory installed plastic bed-liner, very durable and functional

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cyl, engine in this truck is a big disappointment. This truck needs a high performance 4 or a 6 cyl. engine.

best EVER!
By all black

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i have an 2001 chevrolet s-10 5 speed with a 4.3 that i wouldn't give for the world. the only thing i have done to it was rebuild the transmisson and keep up on the tune ups. i have had 5 vehicles and my s10 has been the best so far. highly recommended for anybody in the market to buy one.

Favorite Features

4.3, and the sporty look

Suggested Improvements

make a better third door handle.