Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

06 Chevy Impala LTZ Rocks
By philz94tt

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This Impala LTZ is a very solid vehicle with only a couple issues. It will need a water pump and thermostat at about 8 years into service. There was also a recall on the power steering hose that was handled very well by the local dealer in the 2011 to 2012 time frame, 3.9 liter with 240 HP is responsive. The gas mileage is very good, ride comfort is great, no noises in my vehicle, interior is good for top of the line, the top of dash does seem a bit cheap and needs a good amount of detailing to look good, the sun will hammer that spot and the leather seat areas close to the windows need to be treated with leather conditioner. Bose sound system is very good.

3.9 Liter V6 is good power option. Bose sound system

Nice to drive - when it works
By waldo57

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just (thankfully) traded in my 2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ that I had for 3 years. It was a complete nightmare. I replaced the power steering pump twice, and had the power steering service four or five times on top of that. When the weather got cold, the power steering pump would "pressurize" and blow the hose right off, leaking power steering fluid all over the ground. The dealership charged me several hundred dollars to "fix" it, but by the time I traded it in several months later, the power steering pump was making a grinding noise again. Other than these problems, the car was very nice. It handled well, and has plenty of power for passing or moving in traffic.

-3.9L V6 (LTZ model) provided lots of power. -Bose sound system was phenomenal, even with factory head unit.

Refine the dash by removing fake wood finish.

Very cheaply built car - very poor quality.
By swannee1948

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the 2006 Chevy Impala Ltz recently from a dealership in Iowa. The car had only 33,500 miles on it -- thus I thought that it would be an excellent buy & value for the money. Mechanically the car is fine - the 3.9 L - 6 cylinder engine performs very well. The heater does not work properly . The heater takes forever to kick in & generate warm / hot air -- the heater works fine when driving. The heater does not work when sitting idling in traffic - blows cold air. The rear window defroster does not work at all. The quality of the interior is horrendous -- very cheap. Squeaks, creaks & rattles all over - especially in the dash panel. Very poor craftsmanship

Engine performance - very good. 3.9 L - 6 cylinder. Highway handling is very good. Gas mileage reasonable - 20 MPG around town - high 20s highway. The car had 33, 500 miles on it when I purchased it a few weeks ago. Exterior styling is very good - nice size. The interior offers very generous space & the trunk is huge.

Quality - especially the interior - very poor - very cheap. Numerous creaks, rattles & squeaks inside the car - especially in the front dash panel. Overall, I am very disappointed in the craftsmanship & quality of this car & would not recommend this brand & model. I am likely to trade the car in very soon for another brand - most likely for a Honda or Toyota.

No regrets whatsoever.
By Jeremy

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2007 ltz (3.9 ltr) for about 3 months, and I still look forward to getting in it to go anywhere. Although the gas pedal is a little firm and takes some getting used to, it has plenty of pep and always does what I ask. This car strikes the right balance between sport and luxury - it's tight around corners and comfortable on long trips. Interior controls are well-thought out. I live in WI and it handles very good in the snow for a sedan. Had a minor issue with fuel cap sensor but it was promptly corrected by dealer with no recurrence. Back seats not huge, but fine for our two kids. I previously owned two Luminas and 1 Impala, and this vehicle has not disappointed me at all.

Bose stereo rocks; like the ipod input. Solid overall feel - very responsive breaks, good wipers, bright lights, aesthetically appealing interior / dash. The leather seats are nice but not the most comfortable I've been in. Sunroof, spoiler, roomy trunk. Information center is helpful.

Overall fuel economy low (22-24 mpg) but upper 20's on highway (not bad for the power it has). The visors are too small to block the sun. Side mirrors are small, but round convex mirror helps to see blind spot. On some cloudy days the sensor thinks its dark and will auto-dim the interior displays.

Not Reliable
By Anne

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Fun car to drive, but not very reliable. At 46,000 miles the water pump went out, at 71,000 miles the tranmission started leaking, at 110,000 the power steering pump went out. I have ongoing problems with the tire pressure monitors. The remote fob doesn't work unless you are within approximately 5 feet of the car, which makes the remote start virtually worthless. I also own a 2002 Impala LS with 250,000+ miles on it, that I have had no problems with; so at least I have something reliable to drive I will never again purchase a GM automobile due to these issues, I will be purchasing a Toyota Camry soon.

Power (acceleration), Bose stereo, climate control (very good heater/AC), MPG