2008 Express AWD Experiences
By tespro on
2008 Chevrolet Express Cargo 1500 3dr Van AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
As of 11/28/11, my van has 90,000 miles. I average about 17 mpg on a trip. Sadly, Chevy quality is STILL POOR after decades. Fuel injection pump: failed; cost $525. Air conditioner compressor: noisy. Chintzy plastic door handles: one broke; parts cost $300. Tire pressure monitoring valves leak: cost $50 each; I replaced with standard valve and can't shut off the dash warning thus can't read odometer. Sliding cargo door handle mechanism is failing. Performance is only so-so pulling a lightweight Aliner camper: shifts often on hills. Seats aren't really comfortable.
Favorite Features
I bought AWD primarily to handle the sand on my FL property and it's great. Also, I never worry about pulling a boat out of a ramp. I like the wide back door access and the good access from the sliding side door. The single air conditioner has been OK even in FL. This van is pretty much stock cargo except for windows all around. (Thus, I miss features like power locks, windows, trip meter, etc. One forgets that basic really means BASIC!) I haven't tried E-85 fuel which supposedly works in this engine.
Suggested Improvements
I had hoped for better gas mileage as I'm not an aggressive driver. There have been reports of up to 20 mpg but I get nothing close. A cargo van should have tie-downs; there aren't any. I swore back in the 80's I'd never buy another GM piece of junk after so many problems with my van back then. I heard stories they had made big quality improvements in recent years plus they're the only ones making AWD. So I broke my vow .... but they're still masters of making low quality parts. You'd think they were made in China!