2012 Chevrolet Cruze - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:
Scared for my life at 10k miles
By chevycruzeh8er on 02/20/14 11:31 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

bought my car March 2012, been having hard shifting problems and just last month the transmission module failed completely and had to be replaced (9,500 miles). I was sitting in the car on idle and it felt like a brick was dropped into my engine with a thud, engine light came on and trying to drive it to the side was like driving a golf cart. Still having hard shifting problems, got it back from the dealership yesterday and apparently the hard shifting is a "feature" of the car, I don't even feel safe driving this car anymore because I'm scared of getting rear ended when the car hard shifts on the freeway and pulls so hard back that if there was somebody tailing me they would crash into me.

2 years 44.5k mile review
By natalie14 on 12/03/13 05:22 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My vehicle is a black fully loaded ltz rs with nav. The paint has a bit of eggshell reflection so it is not the highest quality but it still looks nice and has minimal chips considering the ammount of highway driving that I do. My front seat used to make noise. Dealer tightened the bolts and replaced a clip. No squeaks or rattles after that. No mechanical problems in nearly 45k miles with only basic maintenance done on the vehicle. Ride quality is smooth and predictable. Acceleration is good enough to get on the highway with no problems and pass slow vehicles. When not stomping on the gas and driving normally the mpg is in the upper 30s to low 40s unless going up hill.

GM MAKES HORRIBLE VEHICLES
By smwavon on 12/02/13 18:12 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Horrible vehicle. I have had nothing but problems. Car revives up and has problem shifting in automatic. I was able to move to manual one time and noticed that going 35 miles an hour the computer had me in 5th gear when I was in automatic. I almost rear ended a semi because the car lunged forward. Sometimes anti freeze smell leaves the engine and comes into the cabin of the car; I have three small children and it's either smell the anti freeze or freeze in the winter. I have had the car overheat on me and have to shut it off for no reason at all; fluids were all at normal levels. I have had the breaks decide to not work on me and ended up in a middle of an intersection and three months later

Great value
By cscott952 on 10/11/13 19:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm very happy with my Cruze. I have about 13k miles on it, and still feel its a great value. I have driven/owned many types of cars, and I'm still quite impressed with this car for the money. It's my daily driver, and general use car. Since the turbo engine has a broad power band, its very driveable. Its not fast, but responsive enough to make it nice to drive. The engine idles very smoothly too. The cabin is quiet at highway speeds, and the seats are comfortable on long drives. Aside from the armrest, I have not complaints!

Poor Fuel Economy
By romantilly on 08/27/13 18:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought the Chevrolet Cruze 1 year ago after reviewing and driving many other models. I needed something with good fuel economy because I drive 130 miles to work each way. The car was advertised at 30+ for city and 42 for highway. About 90% of my driving is straight highway miles at 75 mph with the vehicle on cruise control. My average fuel economy on highway has dropped from 32-35 to less than 30, and around town from high 20's to low to mid 20's. The car does not deliver what it advertises.

30,000 mile review
By captdavid100 on 08/15/13 04:56 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car purchased December 2011. Trouble free since new. Main reason for selecting the Cruze 1LT was the availability of the six-speed manual transmission. Recently completed 2,200 mile road trip - average fuel burn 36.4 MPH (real - not computer). The car remains surprisingly tight, is very quiet, tracks well with no torque steer and a all and all a pleasure to drive. Because the engine lacks "punch" it takes a little getting used to when passing or entering a highway - pay attention and drive defensively. I look forward to driving the car every day and enjoy the Cruze much more than I would have thought. GM deserves two thumbs up for designing and delivering a quality vehicle.

no 40 mpg
By mspeakman on 07/10/13 20:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Fleet 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I want to report on my trip to The national parks. I put 5400 miles on my cruz on this trip, and thought I would easily get 40 mpg on the interstates, but it never happened. The computer told me I was getting over 40 on many legs of the trip, but I kept actual numbers and gallons used and the best I ever got from fillup to fillup was 39.4. This was on virtually flat highway at speed of 65 mph. On a similar leg I got 39 even. Speeds above that gave results in the 34 to 35 mpg, which I thought was pretty good. My worst leg was when I got hung up in construction traffic for well over an hour, results there were 24.4. Worst leg without problems was 32.1 mpg while driving at 75 plus mph. Later.

Love the Cruze
By beezer34 on 06/25/13 08:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have a Cruze LTZ with Navigation. Love the two toned interior. Had a Jetta before the Cruze and the Cruze blows it away. Better performance and nicer interior. Love it

Amazing MPG
By mspeakman on 06/05/13 19:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I drove my 2012 Cruze LT with automatic transmission to Niagara falls, Canada on 6/01/2013. I filled the gas in Conneaut, Ohio and drove the 147 miles to the falls. I stayed 4 days and filled the tank in Erie, Pa. on the return trip. My totals were for the one tank of gas were 267 highway miles and 165 city miles. My computer readout said I averaged 39.9 MPG. I recorded the necessary numbers and the actual mileage was 37.5. That number is for city/highway combined. That is amazing and over what the manufacturer says the car gets for highway driving alone. I will be taking a trip later this month to Utah and I will report my mileage for a tank of driving on the highway. Bet it is over 40.

Great Car
By denman98 on 05/22/13 01:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have 13,500 miles on a 2012 Cruze eco. The mileage is phenomenal. Took a trip last weekend through the mountains and averaged over 50 mpg. 13,500 miles and no problems to report. The only small issue is the placement of the hot-cold dial for the climate control, the way I sit in the car my leg rests on it and sometimes I inadvertently turn it, otherwise, great car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze in WA is:

$186 per month*