1996 Chevrolet Corsica - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )
Good car
By bamaminchew on 03/04/12 15:04 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Corsica last year for $450 cash. The car looks like absolute crap, but it runs great. It has 159000 miles on it and still purrs. I feel that I have already gotten my money back out of this car. The interior headlight and wiper controls on those older Chevys are not designed very well so I have had to rig them up so they will work. No complaining from me though, this car gets me from point a to point b reliably.

Awesome Car
By brent1996123 on 01/14/11 21:34 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

Perfect car very reliable strong V6 3.1 liter excellent transmission.

Great Car
By brent1996123 on 01/14/11 21:24 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

Very Reliable strong v6 engine and strong transmission, ABS works great never had to replace a thing.

Chevy Lumina
By John on 02/18/10 05:26 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

The 1996 Chevy Lumina is an extremely reliable car. We have had our Lumina for almost a year now and have had only minor problems. We drive from lower Michigan to Northern Michigan almost every weekend- even in the snow- and it has gotten us there and back many times now, safely. It is a great car for those who need something cheaper, but reliable transportation.

Typical GM: Solid, but under-rated.
By Olive on 01/27/10 05:57 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

Had this Corsi for 16 years now, and not once has it been to the shop for anything more than an alternator. It's a typical Chevy of the mid-eighties/nineties: an inexpensive vehicle for the masses with pretty solid build construction, marred by poor quality control. But considering how much more I would have paid for an equivalent Honda or Toyota, this was a good value. I spend pennies on repair, not hundreds. I agree with others that the paint is awful, but in my case, the clearcoat is what's messed up. It has swirls and water spots even when dry. Cheap ABS plastic knobs keep breaking and falling off. The interior fabric is also chintzy, but isn't that why they make seat covers...

Wonderful, but..
By Kevin on 09/19/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

My now deceased Corsica has served me well since purchasing it at an auction earlier this year. I have replaced a lot of parts in the engine, and had an oil chance and new tires, alignment done to the Corsica as well two days ago. Just yesterday, the day after getting $200+ worth of service done to it, a rod snapped in the engine it seems. Now the engine is ceased and is not a clunker. My parents have purchased a Ford Focus for me to drive and I will need to pay them back.

best I've ever owned!
By Brian Lagor on 03/14/09 08:28 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 77,000 miles on it. It is now 2009 and she has 112,000 miles in that time off hard Vermont winters the car has never stranded me. It will warn you if it is going to do something like the alternator I replaced it once. I have also replaced the fuel tank. She is the ultimate practical ride super reliable if not the showiest. I highly recommended The 3.1 liter engine it is awesome at 150 HP and still sips gas. The only hang up I have is the heater could be warmer.

Paint is like SNOW there it go's....
By AMW on 09/15/07 23:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

My car ran ok at first then problems came out of nowhere it runs bbad and the paint just keeps flying off driving down the freeway or at a car wash so embarssing might as well be snowing. Sometimes it wont even go over 25 MPH. I have two kids and it's a shame so much is going worng and no money to fix it. The PW windows wont go down or if they go down you can't get them up. It lugs through town I want a new car and why such abad paint job on 96's?? Yet we get from point a to point b so can't complain to much. I would never by another Chevy though hearing bad storys on there paint!! AMW

Turned out to be a great deal
By nenana on 09/10/07 21:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 1997 with 29K on it...it sat in outside storage for 6 of the years we've owned it, but it worked great every time we pulled it out and drove it. Have replaced the brakes 2 times, the altenator, had some work done with the fuel injector and fixed a manifold gasket leak. We figure it will cost us $1000/year to keep it, and we are fine with that. I now drive it 52 miles a day on twisty, often snowy roads, and it handles well with the front wheel drive. We never expected to have it last 10 years and still be going pretty well. We ar soon to buy a 4WD SUV, but will keep this one to drive when the roads are good, because it is reliable, solid, and still gets 20+ mpg.

Some quirks, but overall very reliable
By BobTheWonderDog on 10/22/06 05:38 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Corsica 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a co-worker in December 2000. It had 100,000 highway miles on it because he commuted to central NY from northern PA for the job. Even so, the car has performed excellently for me overall. I have had to make costly repairs, but have since learned that it was due more to mechanic's greed than actual necessity. Engine still purrs at 170,000. On mine and other models I've seen, I've noticed the gas cap cover tends to rust off, and the doors stick in cold temperatures. Also, my "Check Engine" light has been on for 3 years, but I suspect this is from emissions (gascap again) and not mechanical. If you can find a model with reasonable mileage at 10 years, it's worth a look