2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2008 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

You don't get what you pay for
By Marie

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Cheaply made. Interior is uncomfortable and made of substandard materials. Visibility out the back window is horrid. It angles upward so you don't get a clear view of what is behind you. For everyday commuting in a flat area it is a fine car. It performs horridly in hilly areas and mountains. Definitely does not handle winding roads well as it does not hug the road on turns. I am trading this in for a either a Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel other controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Handling, visibility, quality of materials

SS turbo Quite a Car
By Pizza

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall the new SS is an amazing car for the money and outperforms many cars with much higher price tags. It's really fun to drive. Finally they got it right, everything you would expect in a SS labeled car. Not for those who just want a little sporty car, you'll soon be bothered by the many clicks, clunks and less refined aspects of this performance car. Fuel mileage sold me on this car and I'm not disappointed, averaging 27mpg mixed driving. A cool feature lets you see your instant mileage approx when trying to stretch those mpg's.

Favorite Features

Best feature is the traction control and performance mode shifting. Cars are made to turn and corner, no doubt this little car can handle more than you'd expect.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality is still less than what you'd expect in a GM car. Unfortunate as it is my car was missing nuts in the engine bay, my passenger window rolls very slow, one of the side marker lights didn't work, plastic interior panels were found on my floor. Nothing serious but annoying.

Love it so far
By Steve

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way it looks, drives and performs. Pioneer speaker system is fabulous. On the down side, sunroof doesn't seem to fit too snug, there is no cancel button for the cruise control, and the built in cell phone is not blue tooth enabled, so I have to buy their minutes at .35c apiece and use a different phone number.

Favorite Features

Stereo system. Handles like a dream

Suggested Improvements

Mentioned above

Demon ride...with accoutrements
By JK

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I first stepped into the car I thought it was roomy - I'm 6'6". The seats were very fitting and finally a head rest that met the back of my head. The SS has everything you want - power across the board, not the seats though. Side airbags and a great steering wheel. I wish I had a manual telescoping option, but it's 20K so go figure. If I wanted wood on the dash and in the car, I should be in the backseat ala S500-EL or a Cadillac Deville-EL. I would recommend getting a two tone interior; red/black for victory red, gray/black for the sport tint - very nice combo's

Favorite Features

The engine is a marvelous. The injector's spray fuel into the piston's at around 2000PSI, vs a normal engine at 50-80psi. The turbo, handling and stereo are all great. This would be a great commuter car, but I use it as a grocery getter, around town etc.

Suggested Improvements

Oil pressure guage lights on the rear view mirror auto-sensing rear view auto-sensing side mirrors (accessory is fine) more interior lights (think Malibu LTZ)

Great mpg on XFE version
By cobalt_xfe

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a replacement to a 1993 Audi. I drive a lot and needed good fuel economy. I have almost 5000 miles on the car and my calculated mpg is 37.4. The headrests are uncomfortable from the factory (they tip my head forward), but they are easily reversed and quite comfortable when reversed. It is a little tight with 2 teenage boys in the back, but they can make it work. It handles well. It has good acceleration and cornering. I was a little afraid of the low rolling resistance tires, but they seem to perform well. The stereo is adequate, but lacks fidelity in the bass. I suggest the XFE version over the standard. Its performance seems about the same. Minor lines mismatch on hood

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Handles well. Driver information display. Intelligent oil monitoring. Comfortable driving. Fold down rear seats. Fun to drive. Large trunk. Tire pressure readout. Center armrest. Long oil life. Great commuter car.

Suggested Improvements

Different headrests (they tip to far forward and hurt my neck). The sun visors are too short at window. Give up a couple of inches of trunk space for more backseat leg room. Move information display to the speedometer side for easier reading. Improve the cruise control, I get better mpg without it.

08 Cobalt LT Sedan
By J

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan. I like the car for the most part, one thing that worries me is the brakes stink. When the car had just over 4000 miles on it I began to notice really odd noises when braking, took it in they said it was the hubcap. It did it on the drive home. Took it in again at 4500 miles and got new brake pads put on they said they must be factory defects. Well it started again at 5500 miles then just the other I day I hit the brakes on the highway and they immediately locked up. I like the car but the brake problems worry me a little bit, I had a Chevy Malibu prior to this and never had a problem with the brakes ever.

Favorite Features

XM sattelite radio, DIC information center, great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes, ABS standard.

Great First New Car
By Patrick

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got the 2LT coupe in black with the appearance package, so it looks like a sport or SS, but sadly doesn't handle or perform quite the same. I definitely prefer performance and handling over the interior styling or comfort, but I also want the car to look good, and my Cobalt does both. It has response, even when compared to my old Volvo 850 Turbo. The handling is smooth, which makes this car fun on back country roads. My mom has the sedan sport, and even though she has the Pioneer speakers, mine still get super loud and have excellent bass.

Favorite Features

Huge trunk. Driver information display. Good options for giving it a sporty look. Good performance and handling for price.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had had more money to get the SS.

Big bang for the buck!
By beagler54

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this just about a month, and can't believe how much money I have already saved! Can't beat it, Great MPG: 38 hiway, 33 city so far, great trunk space than orginally thought, enough pep, seats are more comfortable..and I got the manual which I had not driven in over 20 years, and was very comfortable. I would recommend this as a good value for the money. Looked at Astra, but would have spent extra 4k. Only con, maybe more nooks and crannies, for little things i.e coins, sunglasses, etc. Other than that very, very happy with this purchase. And even enough back seat room in 4dr sedan!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ease of shifting, trunk space with 2 fold down seats, enough power

Suggested Improvements

More compartments for little stuff that people have, better cloth on seats

Buy a Cobalt!
By Jenny

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I overall love my little Cobalt. I bought a brand new 2008 Cobalt LT coupe, and now have 1,500 miles on it. I recently got it to 41 MPG average on the highway with the cruise control on. I got 0% interest for 60 months, so it was a smart buy too. I always liked the Cavaliars, but these feel less cheap, and more roomy. I got the dark Blue Metallic, and it really sparkles. The color is my favorite part, but hard to keep clean. I would have opted for the darker seats too, I got my light seats sprayed with a special scotch guard type spray with a warranty to keep the interior looking nice. Spoiler makes it dangerously hard to see out of back, but love the ways it makes the exterior look.

Favorite Features

XM radio (free 90 day trial), information button that tells you average MPG, two trip sets, tire pressure, outside temp, how many miles til your out of gasoline etc. Quiet ride. Fold down seats perfect for snowboards. Keyless entry, car finder (push alarm button for 1 second, and car will honk 3x)

Suggested Improvements

Compass on mirror. It's hard to get in and out of back seat, and I'm 5.5 and thin. Trunk opening too small. Larger fuel capacity. I think its only a 12 gallon. Map lights should be standard. I think the sedans are ugly and cheap looking. Spoiler makes it extremely hard to see out the rear view mirror

Great Car
By Rob

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the sport version and so far it has been a pleasure. Looks good, drives good. It gets good gas mileage. Even with the the 171 hp version I average 28mpgs.

Favorite Features

Looks are good. Stereo is very nice. OnStar is awesome. And the car really handles nice.

Suggested Improvements

I think the inside looks cheap. I still like it. No room in the back seat.