2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2008 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

I'm back (2 years later)
By cragman1

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Third review from me on my '08 Cobalt base LS w/automatic. Most owners probably either sell or trade 2 yr old cars nowadays. Which is my reason for a 3rd review. Since buying this in Jan of '08, we've seen Toyota go through their inevitable fall from grace, and Honda's numbers are down as well - no doubt due to lack of interest from generation X, Y, or is it Z by now? Either way, once we have all small cars starting to look like Scions or Mazdas, I'd swear it's starting to look like a science fiction movie version of The Stepford Wives - only done in a small car theme! ;~0 . Anyway, I still have my '08 white Cobalt with nifty round red taillights and it still purrs along nicely!

Favorite Features

Looks. Ride. Driver space (coupe). Acceleration and shift predictability of the auto trans. Always shifts when you want or expect it to, even on fast cornering! Sound system great.

Suggested Improvements

Don't change this car into that cookie- cutter new model I've seen on the internet. What's next? Making the Vette look like a Subaru?

Love it
By sgemrald5

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have never owned an american made car before this one. I love this thing! it rides great, so quiet, has given me up to the 50's in mpg on highway. displays everything on a screen that i would ever want to know. I got it with 32,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems. It's a breeze. Fun to drive, reliable, great on gas. highly suggest it for the commuting college student or worker, its great.

Favorite Features

stereo system, display screen nice looking in and out.

Suggested Improvements

the seats could be slightly more comfortable, but overall I have no complaints!

More improvements than features
By BRIAN

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I wanted to downsize from a mini van thinking I would save on gas.Big mistake my mini van got better gas mileage than this car.the car does have good acceleration good steering, turning for a 2.2 liter but the gas part not so good.I do a lot of highway driving so i needed a car with good gas mileage.also it doesn't have a lot of leg room i have 2 kids and it's really tight ride. unfortunately this car doesnt have a high resale value so i didn't get much when i traded it in

Favorite Features

ipod connection, ok trunk space, acceleration

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, exterior is kind of tacky, inside could use a little more designing, bigger trunk space, more leg room.

A Disaster in Navy Blue
By emily207

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Never in my life have I had such an experience with a car. I traded a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire for my 2008 Cobalt, and within months, wanted the Sunfire back. The major issue I had with this car was the lock cylinder. Eventually, I had to have the car towed out of my garage because the key simply wouldn't turn in the ignition. It sat in the shop for a month. I got it back in the middle of January, was rear-ended two days later, and got stranded in a parking lot three days after that when the key wouldn't turn AGAIN. I was completely fed up with the Chevrolet experience and traded it for a 2006 Jetta. I think a person is supposed to be sad to see a car go, but I was HAPPY.

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights; information screen on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Stop making it. Period.

A Champion car
By Ryan

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a while ago and I love it, I have the LT edition and I get 36 on the highway, even though my car is packed full of stuff(I'm currently moving). Great acceleration and breaking. The only downside is that it gets uncomfortable on long road trips.

Favorite Features

Radio, Cruise, gas mileage

Decided on a Cobalt
By Lenny

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt a couple of months ago to replace my gas guzzling alero. however i'm only getting 450km a tank in my car :( and i'm only driving it highway to school and back so that was really disappointing. HUGE trunk and the car is really nice both inside and out and is fun to drive and reliable. sporty and fairly peppy for a 2.2

Favorite Features

interior and deck, taillights. tire pressure gauge, fuel economy, and fuel range left in tank, oil life gauge.

Suggested Improvements

arm rests, bigger lip to the trunk for easier access. 5 bolt rims instead of 4.

One mean little car
By Fallenmoon

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in early 2009. Handles well, corners great, and has some serious cumption. Has heated leather seats in the front which are a nice addition in the winter. The short range fuel use leaves a bit to be desired (22mpg), The long distance fuel use is great (41mpg at highest avg. was 38mpg over 1500 miles). The Interior is Black with silver high lights. Leather heated front seats with plenty of leg room (unless your really tall). My car being a sport has as lower profile that can cause issues, namely the lower grill can pop out. But other then that It's rather sleek. Over all the car feels like it was put together rather well, Handles like a dream and looks good too boot.

Favorite Features

On Steering wheel cruise and radio control. Nice big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the back. Bigger trunk opening.

Just bougt an 08
By LongDriver

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought an 08 Cobalt and for the money boy am I happy. I'm a long distance commuter (200 miles one way) and the gas savings are great (31.8 avg mpg driving 60 to 65 half in the hills and half in the flatlands). I'm 6ft 225 and there is ample room for my 3 hour drive. All I wanted was a cruise control, automatic transmission, and an AC. I ended up with a full featured car including heated leather seats, sunroof, power everything, pioneer sound system with a big ole subwoofer. Steering is tight, brakes responsive, and plenty of get-up-and-go when I need it. For the money I spent I'm one happy Chevy Dude.

Favorite Features

GAS GAS GAS savings!!!! Easy to drive, ipod compatible, everything powered, sunroof, information readout for individual tire pressure, coolant temp, avg mpg, instant mpg, miles, range.

Suggested Improvements

Inside door handles are a little cheap feeling and there is no trunk light which makes packing in the early morning darkness sometimes a little cumbersome.

Good
By smp429

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased an 08 cobalt in 2009 with approximately 29000 miles. I do about 90% highway driving and get between 31.5 and 32.5 mile to the gallon which is so much better than my jeep. The car is fun to drive and overall has been great to own. The only draw back is that one of the hubcaps fell off after one month.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage and good performance.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank on the drivers side.

My former Cobalt
By Melissa

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drove my 2008 Cobalt until just weeks ago when it was totaled. The car fully protected me in a head-on collision, airbag deployed, which is a major plus. At 26,000 miles, I had no maintenance issues outside of several annoyances with the radio / digital display. The car was quite reliable, quiet, and did extremely well on long trips. The stock sound was fantastic and the interior, albeit plain, was not bad for the value. The car handled the road very well for the value, also. This was the 2nd Cobalt I've owned in the last 5 years (an '05 previously) and I've not been disappointed. A great, reliable car for the value.

Favorite Features

A quiet ride, airbags and crash response (!), roomy trunk, good response, good highway mileage, easy to maintain, good stock radio/XM radio, Revolution package offered good looks/value for exhaust/wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Digital display malfunctioned regularly, Seats provide awful lumbar support, city mileage is so-so, leg room in back is poor, trunk release sometimes will not latch and seats randomly fold down.