Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ
By 2006 Chevy Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Car has a lot of get up and go for a 4 cyl and good handling. Gets about 26-28 mpg aroudn town according to the dash mpg calculator. I have 48K plus miles and have had no problems.

Pioneer sound system, steering wheel stereo controls, heated seats.

More leg room in rear seat, more head room.

2006 Cobalt
By OLD GUY

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the little Cobalt in 06. Didn't know for sure then that gas prices would rampage out of control. The Cobalt was a good pick. There are other cars I would prefer but for the money and what you get the Cobalt is hard to beat. Zero problems. Never been back to the dealer. The engine and auto transmission rate high for GM. More than once I have dusted a BMW 3 for a fair distance. I can only imagine what an 09 with turbo would run like. It would have to be an asphalt scorcher. I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs. I fit fine. I would prefer the the seating a little higher. Easier for old guys like me with bad backs. I wouldn't use it for a long cross country trip. But many do.

It's tight. Really good motor and trans. Simple. Affordable. Mileage as high as 37 on the hwy. Quick. Nimble. Great little around town sprinter. Zips thru traffic like squeezing a bar of wet soap. Solid transportation for a bargain price. No regrets!

A little more compliance from the suspension. A little more aggressive exterior styling kind of BMW'ish like. Slightly better padding in the seats. Go back to the spin on type oil filer.

Fabulous Car
By zmurof

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in Nov 2005 and have driven around 45k miles since then and cannot really complain. The ride is a bit stiff on bumpy roads but is a joy to drive in mountain roads. The engine has adequate power(2.4L) for all situations. Other than regular service I haven't had any reliability issues. No squeaks or rattles with regards to the interior. However, like other reviewers have mentioned the interior is still down on quality and there is definately room for improvement. Some of the plastics especially in areas of high contact(like the door handles/audio controls) are starting to wear out. The center armrest is awkwardly placed. I average around 30mpg on highway(auto)

Engine, exterior design, fun to drive.

Interior quality.

Fun ecomomy
By Shawn

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At the time I bought this car, I had an 87 mile one way comute to work. I was averaging 34-35 MPG. I have since relocated, and on my drive to my new location, I had averaged 41 MPG at one point of the drive I have recently noticed a dip in my fuel economy, but also received a recall notice for fuel injectors...hopefully getting them replaced will restore my original MPG. This car is fun to drive, has a great sporty look, and is pretty comfortable for 2 adults...rear seating is a little cramped. There is a lot of trunk space, but limited interior storage...an overhead compartment might be an option.

Exterior design, stereo features, the LT package.

More storage, higher quality tires (I replaced the tires at around 30,000 miles the same as I read in another review).

Adequate for the cost
By scottwalker69

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have just driven this car over 59,000 miles since my purchase about 2 1/2 years ago. I average around 38 MPG on the highway and around 30-32mpg average on each tank I have not had to take the car into the shop at all since I bought it except for routine oil changes. There is a minor squeak when the heater is turned on and some rattles in the dash, but overall, I have been satisfied with my purchase. The material is "cheap" but does the job. I drive around 100 miles per day for my commute and I have been content with the car. It has been reliable. The only reason I would not buy this car ever again is because there are some foreign cars that are more reliable.

Exterior design, convenient layout of stereo system, great fuel efficiency.

Better tires, my tires needed to be replaced at around 30,000 miles. Make sure there aren't so many squeaks in the car.