Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Aveo5 LS Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Happy with the purchase of my first new car
By T. Jacklin

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new off the lot. Within a few months I noticed a screeching noise out on the open highway in a cross wind. Come to find out it was something to do with the design of the vehicle (not safety) and after a quick fix at the shop, the noise was gone. I wanted a bare bones car. Lets features, less to go wrong, less expense. This car is perfect for me. It can be parked anywhere, not overly spunky but can whip it on the highway. The fuel mileage is great, only a few minor repairs (mostly from lack of use, not over use) like creaky doors, a rear hatch release that sticks, heater only works on blast (at least it works).

If you are looking for something to get you from point A to B without a lot of bells and whistles, this is your ride. It now has 78,000kms on her, just had the control arm replaced today, new water pump a couple weeks ago. These are things that are going to need replacing regardless, and I think after 6 years that is fair. Still has original brakes, clutch, wipers, numerous other things. I am more than happy with 'The Intimidator'. I would buy another one in a minute. It's GREAT in the snow! (Granted you know how to drive in it. I am Canadian. I have this skill)

Least reliable I've ever owned
By bandit96

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, knowing full well that I was making a trade off on some of the bells and whistles offered in other models. That's not an issue; if it wasn't for it being an unreliable and expensive piece of junk to run I would still be driving it.

I have a mechanical background, and know about driving and maintaining a car to make it last. Unfortunately, in the six years of ownership and only 70k kilometers (43k miles) this heap was in and out of the shop at least a dozen times. The last year of ownership, when it was out of warranty cost me more in repairs then my last GM vehicle did in 10 years and over 350k kms (210k miles).

In short, never again a GM for me.

It was the simple machine I wanted. I liked the look, and the feel of it.

Let GM go bankrupt for real this time. If this is the dreck they bring to market and sell to people they deserve to fail. Chevy was once the best car a working man could buy. Those days are now a distant memory.

do NOT buy
By millerk06

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare since day 1. I have had my tire pressure light looked at over 5 times and it's still not fixed. Going on the interstate is terrible, the air fades out and starts blowing hot and the dealer "doesn't know why". The key hole in the driver's side door has fallen through and is stuck in the door. Its not a quality Chevy, the plant for Daewoo was purchased by Chevy and this is the result - a Korean piece of crap. Read reviews and research before purchasing.

none

recall it!

Many Problems with my car
By kathrynm

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car broke down every day for three months. I was taking bus because my new car stalled five-six times every hour...on freeways and bridges, all the time.
Finally, problem: Oxygen Sensor. Month 2: Windshield cracked bottom to top. Month three: Sway bar kept creaking like a 40 year old clunker.
They have re-greased it four times and I still get the same story.just needs grease (every three-four weeks).
Rear passenger windows don't roll up...inside is now wet and moldy.
Driver floor mat keeps getting caught in clutch pedal. Stereo stopped working. Interior light does not work.
Ignition problem.
Takes four to five tries...four bent keys...have to twist steering wheel and wiggle.
I am sad.

It is a peppy little car and I loved it when I bought it. Unfortunately, I am no longer in love with it.

There is so many problems with this car I almost wish they'd recall it it.

piece of junk
By martin71

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, I use to but toyota, but I thought I'd give them a chance. It was the biggest mistake I have ever done. Right now I am under the lemon law. Engine keeps missfiring. just had worked on again, Chevy said that they would compensate me for my problems, but when I asked the to give me a 2 year extended warrenty. They said no the best they could is give me is free maintence for a year. Wow free oil changes. Way to go Chevy, thats how you take care off your customers. Once this car is paid off, I will dump it fast. Will be going back to Toyota.

None