Used 1998 Cadillac Eldorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Eldorado - Consumer Reviews

1998 Cadillac Eldorado

View reviews for a specific Eldorado model:

A Dream Car With Baggage.
By CaddyGuy

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

My Cadillac ETC is my dream car. It has everything but OnSt*r. The exterior body design is unique and sleek. The interior design is Sweeping, modern and extremely attractive. But the Baggage is the NorthStar Engine. No one can afford to repair it unless you have Warrantee. It suffers carbon build up which requires occasional WOTs to clean out. Search the Cadillac forums and search WOT. Though toted by GM as the best engine ever, it is a night mare in costs when repairs come, even small ones, repair cost is excessive. My ETC was my dream car and I enjoy it emensly but I am concerned when that NorthStar should have a problem. You really need to weigh your need vs a junk NorthStar eng.

Favorite Features

The exterior design allows you to have a great looking sleek car that does not look like any other car out there. The interior has a sweeping dash, great stereo system, I wish it had digital dash, good power, great moon roof, comfy seats, great handling, all is good

Suggested Improvements

Junk the NorthStar. The maintenance costs for the NorthStar make this an engine only a warrentee can afford. Cadillac Totes this engine as the High tech option, and as long as you are under the protection of a warrentee, it will stay that way, very cost prohibitive if you must pat the repairs.

Loved Mine
By Len

1998 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I graduated high school in 2005 for $7000 with 70,000 miles, drove it for 3 years and loved it. It was relatively quick for a 7 year old car, handled like a boat, but had a soft cushy ride. It needed a $300 tune up, $400 radiator, $500 brakes, and had electrical problems, but it just kept running, never smoked or broke down. It had a great motor, but was a big heavy car, and I wasn't crazy abot the FWD. I traded it in January 2008 for $3500 with minor electrical problems

Favorite Features

Looks, interior fit and finish, ride quality

Suggested Improvements

traction control cannot be fully disabled, FWD, handling

Scott
By SCOTT

1998 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 1 1/2, and had numerous problems. I had to replace my water pump then the radiator, and now dished out 1600 to fix the head gaskets. I think they messed up with the design of this engine because every mechanic I ask almost all of them refused to work on them including the dealership. It has great horsepower and good on gas, but seems like if you have any problems you should just junk them. There too expensive to work on them, and any major work you got to drop the engine just to get to the source.

Favorite Features

The horsepower, and the exterior design..

Suggested Improvements

Make the engines easier to work on.

How Do I Keep My Elle Forever?
By Sue

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

This car is the nicest car on the road. It can hit high speed (24 mpg) passing a caravan of trucks without even noticing it. The drive home was on roads closed by a winter storm. First stoplight it skidded a bit and stopped. The dashboard said, "Traction Restored." Right then I knew this car was for me! Great mileage on the road and not bad in town either. I won't be buying another Cadillac until they come up with something comparable.

Favorite Features

Stabil-Trak, MagnaSteer and the hard as a rock paint job... no keying. Great acceleration and braking.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again!

My personal Time Machine
By Larry

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

I have a Black on Black 98 ETC with the optional SunRoof. What a "looker"! She was turned on by someone that owned her on lease and surprisingly, had very low mileage. Were a couple of maintenance issues, normal for the age and miles of the car and was cared for by warranty! She has been a dream to drive and always like a step into a different dimiension. Everything about her enhances the trip from the smooth ride, comfortable seats, well thought out instruments and Boise Stereo. I always enjoy driving this lady down the highways.

Favorite Features

I have always liked cars with a sun roof and the Eldo's sun roof is huge. Such a great ride at night with the sun roof open, sitting in those great leather seats, the Boise radio playing some tunes or a favorite CD. My favorite feature is the whole car, it all comes together to make one great auto.

Suggested Improvements

There is a lot of talk about the NorthStar engine. When she is working good, she is a fabulous power house. But when she has problems, it would be nice to be real chummy with your favorite banker.