Used 2002 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

2002 Buick Regal

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Long Term Review
By Ryan

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My family owned this car for around 9 years. It was my first car and I took a lot of pride in it as it is a car to be proud of. We had a special edition style and handling package with two tone paint and firmer, more reactive suspension. While the car isn't particularly special in the curves, it felt awesome until you near the limit and realize how front heavy it is. The engine was plenty powerful to have fun with, and consistently gave me 29 mpg HWY without fail. ABS worked great. Traction control worked surprisingly well even in deep snow up to the bumper. Never got my car stuck in the winter except for once when it was practically buried overnight. We did have some problems over the course of the ownership. The worst one was the ignition switch which shut the car off in heavy traffic. Other than that, we also had to replace the swaybar, a window motor, window switches, AC clutch, 3 wheel bearings, fender rust and well that's about it. Pretty good car, but still nickle and dimed over the years. Probably cost less then 2k for everything over 9 years. It was really built well though. Maintained it perfectly and it was still driving like new at almost 170k. There were no weird squeaks, rattles or anything which is amazing considering how high quality the monsoon radio and speaker system was. YOU WANT THE MONSOON! The only wear it showed were a few chips on the aftermarket hood, some fine cracks in the leather, and a light tick from a lifter in the bullet proof Buick 3.8L until she warmed up. Car was broke in but showed no signs of slowing down. I trusted it fully to the day I sold it. It wasn't babied either. Maintained and serviced well was not used lightly. Ditched during winter twice, but no damage was ever taken.

Who would've thought I'd rather have a Buick?
By newportbob

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Having never owned a GM car, I was not sure what to expect. I'd done a lot of research and, for the value, the Buick Regal kept coming up. I found a beauty, a 2002 for $3,000. Looks and runs like new, great power, luscious leather interior (spotless), one of the finest sound systems I've ever heard, hugs the road like a bear. I absolutely love this car. The only other car I loved this much was a 1974 Volvo that we put 360,000 miles on. I don't know if I'll get the same with the Regal, but I do know that maintenance is key to vehicle longevity. We'll see!

I gotta say the concert sound system is outstanding. Also the driver's seat comfort and adjustability. And I really like the way it handles, more like a sports car than a sedan, you can feel the road right through the steering wheel. Instruments are easy to view and intuitive. Huge trunk. Mileage is a constant 30 MPG on the freeway. In-town runs about 20-22, which is par for 3.8 liter engine. It's solid, you can hear it when you shut the door. Cabin road noise is minimal, I would call it "hushed". My wife's Camry is not nearly as comfortable or quiet on the road. Lots of early warning sensors, one of which ("Low Tire" air pressure light) saved us from a disaster on the road.

Cup holders! Nicely hidden but should have been deeper to hold a cup more securely. Heating system is not as responsive as our Camry. The defrost works great on the passenger side, not so much on the driver's side. Thought it might be obstructed but couldn't find anything, seems a design issue. None of these are deal-breakers, though. I'd buy it again in a heart-beat.

Cross Country
By deandesisto

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ive driven many cars, but the 2002 Buick Regal LS is by far my favorite car i have driven so far. It is much more comfortable then Japanese cars, and sure goes alot more than it shows. I drove from Rhode Island to Montana in this car, and it revved strong at 2k at 70mph, ive had v8's that revved higher. Amazing gas mileage, only spent around $200 from RI to South Dakota, with gas around 3.50. Bought this car a year ago, at 3k with 115 thou. Something about
American cars makes the ride better, foriegn cars dont have personalities like my Ford and Buick do, I love that thing, even though my gas gauge is broke and my odometer is gone, this car took me 2500 miles across our great nation.Buy USA

Very comfortable car, and for a V6 it is amazingly fast, acceleration very nice once you get into third, and the gas mileage is absolutely awesome. Put a little STP platinum in once in a blue moon, change the oil every three thousand, and keep up on your basic maintenance, and this car will last long and strong.

The Alarm system has a mind of its own, and it does not let you open the doors with the keys if the car has been locked, that needs to change since i keep losing that lock button thing since it broke off my chain. Really annoying, but besides that great car

10 yrs old and still going!
By mom2de

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car when it had 50,000 miles on it.Now at 105,000. Still going good!Regular work done on it like brakes,rotors,tires,oil changes,etc. That is all normal wear and tear. On second muffler but first one was a cheaper one. Biggest expense was the security in the ignition and key.Kept shutting the car down, making it think it was being stolen.Brought it to dealer and they bypassed the security chip-$380. Most expensive repair done to it. Great in the snow too! Northeast can be brutal! Stereo has shorted out but that's an easy fix too! No major issues. Would recommend a buick. Trading her in next week, need an upgraded vehicle with newer specs!

Family size sedan! Husband is a fan of the motor and the buick reputation! Nothing has fallen apart so can't really complain! Motor and transmission have been great! Would keep it if it had everything today's vehicles do! Better gas mileage, safety features!

Second time around
By 58 Impala

2002 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought this very same new in Sept 2002 and kept it for 4 years and traded it for an 06 LaCrosse CXL which I trades in on an 08 Silverado LTZ. even thought 06 Buick had more features, it didn't pull the mountians or get the gas mileage the 2002 Regal GS did. This year we decided we would get a used car and I was searching the net. I found our old Buick at a dealership about 40 miles from here and it had less than 60K miles on it. It had aroudn 32K when I traded. The dealership had bought it at an auction, but the car was still in great shape. We missed car after getting the LacCross and are very happy we found it again. Great gas mileage, handling and power in a nice size car.

Power, handling, ride and gas milege. When I first owned it I got 35 mpg on one trip we took and we were driving between 65 to 70 mph. This was mostly flat terrian, but we did get into some mountians in northern VA and it went over them without a hitch. Not like our LaCrosse with the same engine.

It's rather late to talk about improvements they could make on a car this old. Most of them have already been takin care of on the newer car. My only complaint is the location of the front cupholders, they are right under the drivers elbow. Also rear seat room.