2003 Buick Century Consumer Review: Pleasant Surprise

2003 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Review

Pleasant Surprise
By Grateful Son-in-law on

2003 Buick Century 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I was given this car by my father-in-law, when he was no longer able to drive. Driving the "B" as my wife calls it, has been a pleasant surprise. Dad had put only 33,000 miles on it, maintained it by the book. I use it as a commuter car, primarily suburban to city driving, lot's of traffic lights, little highway. MPG is great, 22-23 city, 33 highway, on a 600 mile round trip. Comfortable after getting acclimated to a "rolling sofa." Plenty of trunk space, easy to service by local mechanic. I would not have even looked at this car, let alone bought one, as I feel it is designed for the more senior driver. Still, I now have a low mileage ride which competes with our 2 VW's in MPG!

Feels like a tank, surprising fuel economy which demonstrates that domestic manufacturers can produce a high quality, larger, vehicle with acceptable performance and not sacrifice MPG IF they wanted to do so. Nice to have the quality, economy and no payment book!

More options for seat adjustments. Lumbar support non-existent, compared to my 2003 Ford Escape. The Escape is also the better of the two with respect to handling and more "fun" to drive. Tweaking the suspension and steering in the Century would have been a nice touch.