Used 2002 Buick Century Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Century model:

A lifer
By Robin Johnson

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Just drive car from Montana to Indiana and got 34.5 mpg! Running smooth easily has another 50,000 of trouble free driving ahead.

A lifer
By Robin Johnson

Love It
By Bob

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had it for 12 years and have put about 100,000 on it. As far as reliability, the car has failed to start only one time-when the original battery gave out after six years. It has never been in a shop for repairs. A few things have gone wrong such as power windows, a blower resistor, led resistor in gauge cluster, and a/c clutch coil. I fixed all those things myself. The cost and level of difficulty were low, though. I have done all of the regular maintenance such as oils, filters, brake pads,coolant, tune up, -again cheap and easy. This year (2015), the car was showing some signs of wear, and since it ran and drove quite well still, I decided to do a semi restoration. I repaired the rusted rocker panels. New tires, brakes, struts, motor/tranny mounts, tires, headlights,exhaust system, wheel bearings, paint touch up, a few other piddly things. It runs and drives like brand new no issues at all. In 12 years time I have spent under 4000 on maintenance and 2500 of it was on the semi restoration this year. It has spent most of it's life outside, but the paint still looks very good. It has been a great car for 12 years and it will most definitely last another 12. Good solid reliable car.

I wish they still made this car
By midwestmrs

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 Century in late 03. Have loved it ever since. Reliable, quiet, smooth comfortable ride, and has been cheap to own. Just routine maintenance. Not even a muffler. I did have the drivers side power window motor replaced several years ago. Car is now old. 160K miles, rocker panel rust, and things are starting to break. The gas guage has some kind of electrical problem. Hubby and mechanic said it's not worth fixing. It's time to replace the car. I still get 25-27 mpg. That is impossible to match in a car with this kind of comfort and quiet. I wish they still made this model. I test drove a 2011 Lucerne but the backup visibility is terrible for me. Maybe a 2011 LaCrosse or a Camry.

Comfort and quiet. Fuel economy. This is a touring sedan. Do not expect it to drive like a sports car.

Styling. Come on GM. The body style was old and boring when this car was new. Buick needs to hire some younger designers. Brakes have never been very robust, even just after each brake job. That has to be a design thing.

what a piece of crap!! Do not buy!!
By conniej1954

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Buick Centry as a program car in 2003 with about 13,000 miles on it. Within weeks it was in the repair shop.
Repairs over time include motor mounts & king mounts replacement (there is still a "clicking" when braking, it was never fixed), complete dash replacment ( a year later, the odometer quit working again).
The automatic windows roll down by themselves and do not roll back up. Anti lock brakes quit working with in a year of buying. Fuel pump replacement, brakes replacement. I take good car of my cars and do oil changes every 3,000 miles, tune ups, radiator flush,etc.

When running, it got good gas mileage. It was parked at work and was hit by another car and was totaled...The best day of my life. I absolutely hated this car!

This car was lemon but the dealership kept fixing things until the warranty ran out, then it was up to me to foot the bill. Believe me, I spent a small fortune on keeping it running.