Used 1999 BMW Z3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

THIS is BMW quality?
By Retrobucky

1999 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

My '99 Z3 (bought Feb '08, 48K miles) still looks great on the outside and powertrain has held up well. Surprised that interior plastic parts are so chintzy, such as loose power drivers seat, cup holder cover, and cracked/broken seat belt restraint and parking brake handle. Radiator fan shroud also cracked and broke off. 6-CD changer in trunk has poor tolerance for bumps. Would not have expected all these issues at 49K miles.

Excellent handling, fun to drive, surprising get-up power with 2.3L (manual 5-speed). The whole look is still great, better than the Z4, I believe.

This model has vinyl seats (vinyl?!) and no cruise control, and of course a plastic rear window that one can take the softest known material found on this earth and still scratch it.

Fun car for the money
By Doug

1999 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

Fun to drive, good on gas, good quality product. Only major problem is with the sealed gas tank system. After the dealer put 2 gas caps on it and looked at it several times the warranty ran out and then they said I had a leak in the gas tank filler neck. They could not repair it?? They said I had to buy a new tank for around 400. I purchased a code reset reader and I turn off the code every times it tells me I have a leak. I do this from 2 times a month to sometimes only once in 3 months. I called the home office of bmw and they did not want to help me with the problem. I should have insisted they fix it when the warranty was in. Other than that I enjoy the car.

Looks, I don't like the new z4 square body.

Keep the price down so more people can own one.

FunFunFun!
By WireWheels

1999 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Convertible

Most fun to drive I've ever had. This is my sixth BMW and makes me feel good every time I look at it or drive it.

27 MPG average. Great stereo. Handles great on the country roads I live on.

Enjoy the Sunshine
By Zcarfan

1999 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

Overall I love driving this car. It is great for the Florida sunshine. The 2.3 model has plenty of power when you need it and the gas mileage is close to 35 mpg on the highway. The top is cheeply made and needs a glass window. I also have problems with the fuel sensor malfunctioning regularly. It is a blast to drive around town but use another car if you are going on a long trip.

Gas Mileage. The big car feel.

Top need a glass window. More trunk space for the golf clubs.

Beyond all expectations
By David Jay

1999 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Coupe

I bought this car on my birthday, and never looked back. When looking to replace an 87 325is, I stumbled upon the coupe. It's always fasinated me , when I saw it on the lot, I asked for a test drive. That sold me. It is the tightest handling, most stylish and unique car I have ever owned. Most people have buyers regret after a any new car.. its a big purchase after all. I had NONE. By the way, get used to people staring and pointing.. there were only a few thousand of these made. I drove it through the WORST New England winter I have ever seen, and it handled it with aplomb. If you have the chance, buy it.

Power Handling Stares from other people Its just so darn COOL

Stock head unit not that great, get a new one I can't own two of them