2009 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Disappointed

2009 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

By cruzian on

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Styling inside and out, and the engine sounds great if you can hear it over the rattles.

Build it in Germany, by Germans. By the plastic from Ford; theirs does not creak and rattle. Recall all of the 3.0 engines and equip them with turbochargers. Cancel Exide's contract and return to the previous battery manufacturer. I could go on...
By cruzian
on 05/12/12 20:07 PM (PDT)

I replaced the worthless run flats with Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires. The ride is 100% improved! It is just as responsive, without the noise and harshness of those ridiculous run flats. I firmly believe that tires should be made of rubber, not iron. The A/C evap still leaks, but they did manage to resolve the door speaker issue. Snap-Crackle-Pop plastic is still in action, but not quite as bad with the softer tires. I may keep this vehicle after all. The 0-60 time is a shameful 10 seconds, but my wife doesn't mind too much.