Used 2005 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Great Crossover
By rich r

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Great performance from BMW as usual. Handles just like a 3-series. Fantastic brakes and road feel.

Favorite Features

Turning Xenons, Rain sensor wipers

BMW X3 3.0
By Ahmet Colakoglu

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have 1000 miles on the vehicle. Not a single problem til now. The sun roof is gorgeous and unique. Except the black bumper, the exterior design is the best in the segment, if not among all SUVs. I find people checking my car all the time. The performance is great for an SUV. Very confident drive in foul weather, rain sensing wipers and adaptive xenon lights help a lot. I do not have the sport package and I find the suspension sporty and comfortable. The transmission has excellent responses with the sport mode, however downshifts are late with the regular mode. And it is not expensive, I get 18-19 mpg, not bad.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, exterior design, adaptive lights, rain sensing wipes, all wheel drive and the whole driving experience during bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

Reprogram the transmission for regular mode. Change the black back bumper.

X3 is worthy of the BMW name
By Michael C

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

If you are looking for an SUV that is big enough to haul some serious stuff, yet corners and handles well enough to keep a smile on your face, then this is the vehicle for you. The suspension keeps the car from rolling in the corners, and the traction and stability control (both standard) keep everything firmly planted. There is a "sport" suspension package available, but I didn't get it. The 6 speed manual is the slickest I've ever driven in an SUV - it's very well matched to the in- line 6 cylinder. The engine is sweet too, with plenty of low rev torque. I've owned 7 new very nice sporty Japenese SUVs and liked them all. But after driving the BMW X3, I don't think I will ever go back.

Favorite Features

The panoramic sunroof is huge. I like that you get a lot of nice features in the base model. Also great is the fact that you can get just about anything you want seperately without having to buy a $$ package that has 3 things you don't want!

Suggested Improvements

They should offer cloth seats - must be a "BMW thing."

Practical SUV and a joy to drive
By Jim Burdelski

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I shopped around for about a year and finally settled on the BMW X3. I would recommend the panorama sunroof and if you ride bikes, get the trailor hitch. No need for ski rack because skis fit very easily in the back. I'm getting between 20-23 mpg with regular gas. For little less than 35,000, it's a great SUV.

Favorite Features

Sunroof. heated seats for after skiing.

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Awesome
By ed

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Had the car less than a year. With my previous car I needed a back support to drive long distances. With the X3 I arrive at my destination fresh and ready to enjoy. It is amazing. The driving experience is as advertised - fun. We purchased the car because of its size, but strangely enough we have used it to move furniture, and other bulky items. so the car performs on many levels. What is the most amazing - people actually think i paid more than the final negotiated selling price. This is value.

Favorite Features

size, steering, seats

Suggested Improvements

Seats do not fold completely flat/level - this would have come in handy.