Used 2011 BMW 1 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 1 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Exactly what I have been looking for!
By bwschubert

2011 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been searching for a RWD convertible with a manual transmission for some time now and while test driving all the usual suspects in the same price range (new and used) my 128i was the obvious choice. I wouldn't mind a 135 for the significantly increased grunt, but there was no such car available- either new and too expensive or used and too old and out of warranty. Nevertheless the linearity of the naturally aspirated I-6 makes running up to the 7000rpm redline a pleasure, especially with the top down. While true value is debatable (I don't know if I could ever justify the full sticker price of a new one) the build quality, ergonomics and all around driving experience is worth it to me

Smooth engine, a pleasurable manual transmission, great interior quality and design, amazing seat adjustments and comfort level, great HK sound system and nuclear powered heated seats.

The all orange dashboard lighting does not scream luxury. In a couple years I would look forward to checking out a 328 that has the new turbo charged I-4 to help close the grunt gap between that and the 335.

First BMW
By pleng

2011 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking for a fun car with a convertible top and the 128 was just right. Luckily found a certified 2011 with only 14K miles and got the price break and power train warranty to 100K. A key factor was trunk space since I plan on using the car for trips in my retirement. It will hold a 25 inch roller bag flat and a 22 on its side, and even more in the back seat - great for such a small car I am an engineer and I am impressed with the build quality of this least expensive BMW.

The car is a delight to drive. Ample power and a shiftable automatic (pull back to up shift - like a race car). Engine sings a pretty song with the top down. The optional rear windscreen makes top down running comfortable. In-dash multi-disc CD player.

The run-flat tires seem to detract from the smoothness and handling, and I hope this technology will improve sine there is no room for a spare. These are very small things - this is a great car!

Like a 4-seat Miata...Fun Fun Fun
By socalh2oskier

2011 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2011 128i Convertible has 8,000 miles with nary a problem. Changed the run-flats to Contintental DWS regular tires the first week and it was like driving a completely different car--much better ride. Comfortable seats and just a blast to drive. In some ways better than the 3 series--top down at least you have some useable trunk space with the 128. Almost went for the 135, but I'm happy with the power of the 128--engine sometimes lugs a bit taking off, but slap the transmission over to sport mode and it compensates and puts you into the sweet spot of the torque curve and takes care of the issue. Nimble handling. One of the most fun cars I've ever had.

Great ride without the run-flats. Nimble handling. Comfortable seats. Just plain fun to drive. Useable trunk space with top down. Surprisingly useable back seats for all but the largest adults.

Stock stereo is poor. Gas mileage is poor. Using run-flats is dumbest decision BMW ever made--switch to decent regular tires and you'll get vastly improved ride, plus better handling. Car would be even better if BMW would use some aluminum and shave a couple of hundred pounds in weight.

European Delivery
By roywadams

2011 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Took delivery in Munich. Spent a month driving around Germany, Austria, N. Italy and S. France. This car was made for this kind of driving; it couldn't have been more fun. If it were any bigger, I would have been even more terrified driving through Italy. The top is so easy to raise and lower we drove with it down every day we used the car. Even with the small engine, it didn't lack for pickup in the mountains. The 6 speed manual transmission was perfect. Seldom needed the brakes, except on the steepest downhills. Got admiring glances from most everyone. Now, if it is just half as good as the 1994 325 with 213,000 miles it replaced...

Automatic top operation up to about 25 mph is superb. No more getting caught at the stoplights half way through. Loved the iPod in Europe. Climate control was great, especially with the top down. Anti-reflective seats really do keep them cooler with the top down. Pretty good gas mileage

Can't think of a thing. I even think they're reasonably priced.

This is my 2nd 128i convertible
By OM76RPH

2011 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

There is no other vehicle with this combination of fun and convenience. I previously had two Z4's and loved them but this car provides the fun with a back seat and room for two sets of golf clubs in the trunk with the top down. For the money there is no rival. A comparable Audi is $10,000 more and you still cannot get a 6 cylinder. One negative is the satellite radio. There is a software problem that causes problems with acquiring stations. Two years and still not fixed. Shame on you BMW.

It's the top, of course.

Fix the radio. The satellite problem is annoying.