Used 1999 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Very Nice Car!
By Shane Stamper

1999 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a 99 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro and I seriously am happy with this buy. It's the fastest, most comfortable car I have ever been in. It's very reliable so far and I hope it stays that way for awhile. The features in it are outstanding for a 99 car and I just love it. I do not regret buying it one bit. The best part is that it's my first car and I completely own it!

A4 1.8T Quatro
By giventi

1999 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

One of the most expensive car to maintain. It will eat your wallet. If you know how to work on this car go for it. It drives very solid and safe. AWD great on snow but when you have more than 6-7 inches of snow you are in trouble. Very low clearance. Almost every Audi made around that time have problem with cluster panel. Air bag light on. has bunch of very expensive sensors. If all the maintenance done regularly it is OK to buy one of them. Otherwise even if you get it for free prepare yourself for $3 to 4 thousands of repairs in couple years. Engine mount and tranmsn mnt collapsed at 110K mls. That shakes rear axle like hell. Front end have so many parts to replace. FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!!!!

AWD handling really good. Sound system powerful and very crisp audio. strong body with galvanized sheet metal.

More clearance for snow. More leg room in the back. You can't sit an adult in the back.

Rev it up!
By nanonevol

1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Fun to drive.
Handles great with AWD and goes right up snowy hills in Worcester.
Overall solid feel to the car.
Doesn't look like a 15 year old car at all and I don't do anything special to take care of it.
Expensive repairs come with the deal - expect them.
Wheel bearings (make sure your wheels are balanced and car aligned), flex pipes, dirt in ABS sensor lights the dash. Dash is currently lit up like a Christmas tree.
I'll miss it but I'm scrapping it with too many repairs needed for an '06 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD (I MUST have AWD)

Quatro, heated seats, climate control

A cup holder that's not hidden under the armrest.

Quater Million Miles and still going strong!
By djdan75

1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I got a great deal on the car in 2006 and planned on driving it for a year and then selling it to make some profit. I was blown away after the first winter driving this car in Northeast Ohio. After 245k the paint still looks new there's no rust the engine runs great the transmission shifts perfectly.. my only complaint is that I have been through 6 wheel bearings and 8 control arms.. I was told by my mechanic get used to the oil leak that is just the Audi way of marking its territory..

there is nothing on this car that is cheap to repair.
even though I paid cash for my car I still consider the repairs to be a monthly car payment. But still my favorite car

1999 1.8T Avant - 208,000 Miles
By interactive3

1999 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Built in October 1998 and purchased in April 1999. This car came with the sport steering wheel and beautiful cloth seats. I added mud guards to help protect the exterior. The interior materials are very good. I've had no issues with the engine. It's unstoppable. It has the original clutch, still going after millions of shits.
There's no body rust.

The bad: The 99 Avants did have some front suspension issues. They were mostly covered under warranty. The rear wheel bearings need to be changed pretty frequently. The side airbags had problems too, but they're easy to replace.

The spacious feeling of the interior is very nice. The seats are exceptionally comfortable (especially in cloth). It has very good ergonomics in the front, but is too tight in the rear seats. The AWD system with Torsen center differential rules! The heated seats and auto climate control are perfect for winter. It has a great suspension front and back. Stainless muffles lasts and lasts. Tight turning radius. Open or close all windows with key. Soft on/off interior lights. No stupid gimmicks or extra electronic gizmos. Dependable manual seat adjustments.

I wish Audi still imported a manual transmission wagon with Quattro and premium cloth seats. I can't think of a decent replacement car. Too bad Subarus are so ugly and the Jetta Sportwagen doesn't have 4motion. Improvements: I would like more rear leg room for passengers. More ground clearance. 1600 lbs towing capacity. Better engineered wheel bearings. Side curtain air bags.