Used 2008 Acura TL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Acura Tl - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Very happy - overall a great purchase
By Nate H.

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2008 Acura TL Type S in April. 4 months later I am still very happy. Excellent acceleration and the gas mileage is surprisingly good. I've been averaging 27 mpg with city/hwy combined. Luxury and sport nicely combined. The TL offers more leg room for rear passengers than the IS 250 and G35. I wish the back seats were capable of folding down for my random stops at Lowes and Home Depot. The doors are hard to keep open while exiting but I will survive.

Favorite Features

The navigation in my 08 TL is by far superior to my 06 GMC Envoy. The hands free kit is exceptional. Everyone says that I am very clear, I use it all the time.

Suggested Improvements

Rain sensing wipers, ac vented seats would be a nice addition. The information display for the radio, time, and AC is impossible to read in sunny conditions due to glare - some improvement is desperately needed.

Very happy I upgraded
By Chas

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

So far the experience has been great! I started looking around at smaller, more fuel efficient models like the Accord and Civic but finally gave in and decided that a little luxury and styling had to be worth something. I really like the handling but my one knock is that it seems to give the slightest vibration at around 60 but then over that it goes away. I'll keep an eye on that but it might just be engine rattle at that rpm. Corners seem to grab and hold like I am not used to and I find myself heading into curves with a bit more confidence. I am very happy that I decided to step up. This a no-brainer over the Accord for me.

Favorite Features

By far the Hands Free Link, iPod jack, then styling. Spacious cabin the TL allows four 6 foot guys to travel very comfortably. The ability to get a nicely equipped car without nav. Other models seemed to give the niceties only if you get nav systems

Suggested Improvements

Less vibration at high speed. More chrome on the exterior. The cassette seems like it's using up some prime real estate on the console. I donít care for the faux carbon fiber plastic interior molding. I actually think a wood inset steering wheel and wood trim would make the inside look more refined.

Buy this car!
By I Love this Car!

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wanted a TL but I wanted to stand out from the crowd of other TL owners so I bought the TL-S with the aero body kit installed and it looks great. I'm getting 22 mpg city on 87 octane. I tried the 91 oct but I can't tell the difference on 2 tanks so I went back to 87 and it's just fine. Love the nav system, I'd be so lost w/out it plus its a fun toy and great for resale when(if) I sell it. Not a rocket ship but has plenty of power for city driving and has the Honda reliability, fit and finish. It loaded with options that would cost thousands more with BMW, Lexus, Audi and Merc. Why pay more??

Favorite Features

Quad exhaust, type-s rims, touch screen navigation, bluetooth, backup camera, hid lights, standard fog lights, lights on my mirrors for turning and the sound system!

Suggested Improvements

AWD option, make it a rear wheel drive, more power for the Type-S, lose the cassette deck, make it stand out more from the standard TL, it can run on 87 oct (not premium it wants), maybe a hybrid option?

Great car
By Tim

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, handles well, good acceleration and fun to drive. Very sporty and comfortable. Has all the bell and whistles one could want.

Favorite Features

Inside roominess and comfort with a great navigation system, great that it has a tape deck

Suggested Improvements

Poor placement of the inside gas door release and inside trunk release, no outside lock on the trunk would like a system like on-star

First Acura/Honda Purchase
By TMac

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I looked at many cars before buying this one. Mine is Bronze-Graphite with the charcoal/black interior. I traded in a Porsche and VW Jetta for the one TL-S, and feel it was a good decision. Performance is great, and for the price, what a deal!! It's faster than my 2000 Boxster, and I expect the reliability to be second to none. I just drove from Ft Worth to Houston, and got 30 mpg on the interstate with the cruise at 68. My in-town mixed driving delivers 22.5 mpg, and I drive fairly aggressive. Handling is great for a car of this type, and the fit and finish is as good as I have seen on any car. Interior is very sporty, but still luxurious. Style of Merc AMG or BMW-M Type for much less money

Favorite Features

Still learning the voice prompts. The nav system, blue tooth are easy to use. The sound system is superb. Very comfortable seats. There are no options on this car for a reason-it has it all. Has anyone really looked at the headlight assembly, or rear license surround? Both are spectacular designs.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the steering provided a bit more road feel, and the rear windows were auto-down like the front. The Type S should come with 18" wheels. Could use a bit more to differentiate the Type S from the base. Buyers, purchase the front and rear console carbon fiber pieces. Acura, dump the cassette.