2006 Acura RL 3.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Acura Rl - Consumer Reviews

2006 RL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:

Sort Reviews by

My "new" used RL
By Ruppster

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a car guy. Have owned three beemers, four Mercedes, a couple of 3rd generation RX-7s, etc. I am now a dad with two youngsters and decided to go "practical" and buy a responsible used car. After much research settled on a very, very clean 2006 RL. While it does not have the marquee value of my last to Mercedes, it's a pretty darn nice car and one heck of a value. Paid about 20K for a car that listed for 50K new and still has very few signs of wear and tear. Interior features are just great. Voice recognition isn't perfect but everything else is spot on. You really feel coddled in the cockpit. Stereo is best I've experienced, materials are top notch.

Favorite Features

Stereo, interior in general. Overall build quality. I hate to say it but it seems better than all four of the mercedes and the two beemers I owned. This car, especially used, is one terrific bang for the buck.

Suggested Improvements

A little more get up and go would be helpful. Styling is just okay; too bad for a car this nice.

Plain, every-day car
By Marcin

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car wanting to buy Infiniti M but was annoyed by the dealership and harsh ride of the Infiniti. Overall, good car and good buy, however, not as comfortable and refined as I expected. Suspension is mediocre and outside looks, well.... not that great for many. The value of this car is in its sophisticated technology features, all wheel drive, engine and the interior. I think I could buy the RL again but Acura needs to improve its looks and image as compared to BMW, Audi or even Infiniti.

Favorite Features

SH-AWD, stereo, interior, navigation

Suggested Improvements

Quality is not as great as you would think; paint is very delicate and all small scratches can be quickly seen; front seats not very comfortable on long trips unless you pump-up lumbar support, small room in the back seat, problems with interior lights- the illumination of central panel goes off.

It's got everything you can ask for...
By song

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car that everyone can appreciate because it's got everything standard which includes SH-AWD, DVD-audio 5.1 surround sound, navigation, smart key, and on an on... I get around 19 mpg on city, that's pretty decent for a car that almost weights 4000 pounds. As far as the exterior goes, I would describe it "inoffensive", it's a good looking car but not spectacular. Interior is among the best in class, I don't think there are other cars that can match acura's interior style and quality (maybe a Lexus or Audi).

Favorite Features

My fav. is DVD-audio surround sound system, smart key, blue ambient light at night, and pretty much the whole interior.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat could use more space, exterior styling could improve... 09 RL is kinda hideous, so Acura please do not screw up the next generation RL and RDX!

Tons of toys
By Joe

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is so much fun! I would recommend this car to anyone. My car has 46k and still runs like new.

Favorite Features

My fav's are the moving headlights and I dont need to use my key to unlock my door... all I need to do is have the key in my pocket and put my hand on the door handle and it unlocks!

Suggested Improvements

Smoothness on the ride. Still doesn't compare to a Lexus or Mercedes.

Great car but too many rattles
By tony

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used with 6800 miles. Very comfortable, very quiet (with exception of some minor rattles) and decent gas mileage for AWD. I'm waiting for snow to see how well the SH-AWD performs.

Favorite Features

Navigation, XM, seats are very comfortable (I'm 6'1").

Suggested Improvements

Too many rattles. My battery was going out, took it to the dealership and they discovered an accessory (blu-tooth) was shutting down after the engine was turned off (this has been common with the RL).

Love this car, but
By fred porter

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car July 2006, wife agrees with me that it is the nicest, most luxurious and fun car we ever owned. Just a total pleasure to drive. Power, comfort, sound system: everything is great BUT: we are on the third battery in 2 years, left us stranded twice. Dealer can find nothing wrong with the electrical system, very frustrating-- waiting for the next time we get stuck.

Favorite Features

Nav system, smooth powerful ride, XM radio, comfortable seats, big trunks.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system glitches, driver side cup holder, better interior noise reduction, better mileage.

Luxury & Technology + Every Detail
By NETSECSVC

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2006 Acura RL has everything I always wanted from a car and much more. This is a car that exceeds expectations in many ways! They really included every detail imaginable to make the car safe, fun, powerful, comfortable and beautiful. It's not too flashy, and from a distance one might mistake it for an average car, but nothing could be further from the truth. Up close the sleek and stylish design make you take notice, but inside is where things get really interesting. The 2006 model doesn't have cooled seats or an iPod connector. Aside from that, if you can think of a feature it probably comes standard.

Favorite Features

290 hp with SH-AWD! Voice activated: A/C, AM/FM/XM, phone, navigation. Rear view backup camera. Bose 10 speaker sound system with subwoofer. Keyless ignition, memory driver seat, and mirror settings. HID headlights that turn. Leather and wood interior with rear shade LEDs in interior

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of startup warning on nav screen! Add a couple more inches of legroom in the back. Add iPod/USB and seat cooler. Add more coin sized slots, and a sunglass holder. Simplify radio and A/C controls.

2006 Acura RL
By steve

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love my new Acura RL. Have gone over 30000 miles now with no problems at all. Comfort is second to none. I put a K&N air filter in right away and only run synthetic oil with lucas oil stabilizer. I average 23 mpg around town and get 28mpg highway.

Favorite Features

DVD navigation - easy to use, great display screen. Rear sun shade comes up with a touch of a button. The sound system is like no other with surround sound technology.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage needs help for todays standards. The required premium gas also costs $$$. Doesn't need any other improvements.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By IP35

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura RL is a fantastic, luxurious practical performance sedan. I've ownwed BMWs, Saabs, and various other domestic and Japanese brands over the years. The Acura RL is, hands down, the best. The only trips to the dealer have been for oil changes and routine service -- absolutely problem free driving. Fuel mileage is outstanding for this class of vehicle -- I get 26-27 mpg on interstate trips while cruising well north of 70 mph. It's a fun car to drive thanks to the SH-AWD, and it's quiet, comfortable and luxurious.

Favorite Features

Keyless ignition, Bluetooth, XM radio, great nav system, great stereo system, comfortable seats, quietness, handling and foul weather security from SH-AWD and ASC yaw control, good acceleration, and good fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Height and pitch adjustment on front passenger seat. Ventilated seats (much more important to Floridians than heated seats).

Not Quite as Good as I Expected
By stonehenge

2006 Acura RL Sedan 3.5 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

While the Acura RL handles extremely well and is generally a solidly built vehicle, I am disappointed by the amount of interior rattles. I traded out of a VW Passat that had no squeaks and rattles into the RL and the unwanted noises are most annoying. The quietness of the cabin just serves to amplify the interior squeaks and rattles. I would not buy another for the price of the car.

Favorite Features

The technology, the reliability, the SH-AWD, a very accurate navi system, voice recognition, and bluetooth phone connectivity.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the squeaks and rattles, reduce the turning radius, improve the city mpg - 13 mpg in city driving is absurd for a 6 cylinder engine but hwy mpg is double that and add height adjustment and memory for passenger seat.