1996 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
Love it!!!
By bpddaddy on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Hesitantly purchased the car with 99K on it. It's been great ever since. The ABS hum is questionable, however, the ride is unreal at the age. The wife and I fight over who's going to drive it. Repair parts are very high. Spark plugs ($11), Coils ($75), but I can tell the parts last forever.

Japanese, but still best overall
By BostonMatt on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Well Folks. Have driven prety much every vehicle under the sun. Owned Jaguar, Saab, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, and Mitsu...While the Rl may not excel in any one area, not a 740il in overall elegance and performance, nor have a ridiculously solid build, like the XJ6, for most car buyers, by far one of thebest vehicles on the road today. Just bought a 1996 with VERY low miles, and couldn't be happier. Plush, quiet, just right...try one for a couple weeks, you'll see, trust me.

Took A Chance On High Mileage
By Bongotoo on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I took a serious chance on a 1996 RL with 89,000 miles. I had planned to buy a 1999 RL but the prices were too much. The only problems so far include 1. The AC compressor went out while I was 200 miles from home. I cut the belt off and drove home without a problem. The dealer replaced it. 2. My ABS goes out intermittently. I haven’t had it checked yet but it has me scared. This could be a big one. 3. The Bose CD player didn’t work. I’ve been waiting since December for the dealer to have it repaired. I hope they aren’t jerking me around. In summary, the jury is still out on this car.

Poor Reliability
By MikeFulmer on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Dropped a transmission at 70K. Needed a new AC compressor at 80K. Window off the tracks at 95K. ABS sendsor needed to be replaced. I must have got a lemon.

Boring but great care
By nicke1 on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

It looks kinda boring to me (mine's a 96) but the performance and reliability are outstanding. I have become an Acura person. Now the car has 95,000 and looks and runs like new. Really, most people think its a year or two old.

Best deal ever made
By prophet2 on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 36.8K miles on clock and have put on 33K smooth, trouble-free miles over past 22 months. Drives like a dream. Other than normal wear-and- tear items, only problem has been an oxygen sensor at 67K miles, replaced under extended warranty purchased by prior owner. Paid $20K + TTL for this immaculate unit, saving $3K+ from a new 2000 Accord EX V-6 I was considering and getting a superior vehicle.

Acura 3.5RL,
By Acura RL lover on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Got the vehicle with 50,000 miles on it. still drives like new with 89,000 miles on the odometer. very nice car. why buy new when you can get a used one for much less, but with almost the same performance as a new? no one is going to notice if your car was bought new after a few years. save yourself money and buy used.

Acura RL, excellent choice
By jeffs3000 on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

Just an excellent all-around car. My wife drives this car, and she totally loves it. Super smooth, powerful, and fun to drive.

The car to get.
By Mismith on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

This car, is a car you can enjoy. Just get one!

One Texan's Opinion
By Mike Russell on 03/01/02 19:36 PM (PST)

1996 Acura RL 3.5 Premium 4dr Sedan

I purchased this 1996 3.5RL off a 39-month lease. Buy pre-owned and drive luxury at a reduced cost. Built for comfort - performance seekers look elsewhere. Dependability and reliability is second to none. Power window regulator only problem between 68K and 98K miles. Time now to look for the same model in a pre-owned 1998 or 1999. Best car I've ever owned.