Used 1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Consumer Reviews

$766 - $1,848

Used 850 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Best Car I've Ever Owned

kfluharty, 08/08/2013

Don't let the miles scare you when you are looking for a used Volvo. Mine had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it. Just passed 230,000 and this thing still runs and drives like a new car. She's built like a tank. Regular maintenance and the odd sensor or ball joint and this thing will run forever. FOLLOW THE VOLVO RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!! I bought this car used 3 years ago after it was recommended by 3 different people. I have owned over 25 cars including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jeeps, a Ford, several GM products, and a BMW and this one is BY FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. My friends kept telling me "Once you own a Volvo, you'll never own another car. They were right.

A Good Car...all in all

Joe, 05/12/2010

has 137k, bought with 103k. Problems: - Throttle body hose, mass airflow meter, and spark plugs (about $700) at 129k - New ceramic brakes and rotors ($475) -New wiper/cruise control stock (replaced on my own at $35) Benefits: - Very comfortable car, perfect for long trips! - 26-30mpg highway - Rear seats fold flat...and passenger seat. It can sleep somebody in there!

Take care of it & it will take care of U

Sinika, 09/18/2006

I bought my 850 turbo wagon brand new in 93 and have put 195,374 fun filled miles on it in the past 13 years. I have religiously maintained it as instructed by the owner's manual and have had no major problems with it. Most of the reviews Ive read about this car were given by people who bought one used and obviously did not have their mechanic look it over before purchasing. As long as you take care of this car, it will take care of you. I have changed the oil regularly and I use mobil one synthetic exclusively. The only major repairs Ive had to perform is replacing an a/c evaporator @ 132,000 miles. Other than that, Ive only had to replace the usual wear & tear items,tires,filters,etc

MY BEST VOLVO YET

GEORGE BICI, 07/21/2003

MY TURBO WAGON IS FASTER THAN ANY CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. EVEN FASTER THAN MY 1997 MERCEDES E 320. ITS PROBABLY THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED IN 55 YEARS OF DRIVING. THIS IS MY 5TH VOLVO USEED AS A FAMILY CAR

Best car I've ever owed

Aaron, 04/29/2016
Turbo 4dr Wagon

These cars are good if you have little ones there's a booster in the middle the stereo system is premium quality and if you have a dog plenty of room I drove my car all the way to Tampa and was turning heads this red wagon is a one of a kind that even stands out with Ferraris and yet you some how know you have the better car it's won over 12 car shows because of its rare and unique look

Too much maintenance cost

art hill, 08/08/2002

Spending over $2000 per year on repairs

Ouch this is going to hurt

1971911guy, 07/14/2004

I bought this POS from a family member working at a dealership. The car looked great and the dealership said they would take care of any flaws. Yeah right. I took possesion of the car and 2 weeks later it had a cracked radiator, leaking oil from the rear main seal, needed a new turbo, the power steering pump went out, the rear hatch rattles horribly, the tires needed replacing due to broken belts, the front struts needed to be repaced, the alternator was replaced, and I continue to have other small things break or fall off of this vehicle. I hope that I am the only one to experience the agony of owning a VOLVO.

volvo 1994 wagon

alpha, 05/23/2002

Just an all around great car, since day 1 and has been totally reliable, safe and seats are one of the best for comfort. The car has never had a any problems, just routine maintance. Overall outstanding and would recommend highly. My next car will be a volvo again.

know what you're buying

austinlad04, 05/26/2002

"Sportwagon" model rides like sports car. Return rate on shocks is hard enough to bring excellent handling, but also annoyance over speed bumps and rough roads. Quick-handling PT Cruiser like Suburban next to this. Base engine needs expert touch; auto tranny cooperates once you figure out the shiftpoints. Hand dealer your Amex and pray; longer repairs than any other shop. Swapping shorted shiftlock chip (in the cabin) for the tranny cost as much as replacing the topside motor stabilizer bushing. Power seat mechanics susceptible to early failure. Paint on leather wears quickly in sun. Scheduled service expensive due to labor charge.

An excellent car for me

smoothington, 06/23/2002

I've had many new Japanese and American (Acura, Nissan, Dodges, Ford, Chevy) cars before and sold them after a few years. This is my first European car and I plan to keep as long as it runs. I thought it wouldn't be as reliable as my Acura or Nissan. I've had it for 3 yrs and 55k miles and has 120k miles on it. It's much more reliable than I anticipated. I treat my cars very well and didn't buy without finding one with all maintenance records. I replaced 02 sensors at 75k and turbo hose. Only routine maintenance otherwise.

51050