Skip to main content

$23,047
1...

1000 miles and already in the service department

Sheri Russell, 01/02/2023
2023 Volkswagen Taos SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I purchased my new 2023 Taos on Christmas eve. Drove it off the lot with 10 miles on it. 1 week later within the first 5 miles of my morning drive the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, it slowed its self down and I had to call a tow truck. VW was refusing to give me a loaner car in the meantime until I made a few phone calls. They said they have to replace the fuel pump.

5 Offers Near Ashburn, VA
Check out current offers on the Volkswagen Taos
View Offers
vw.com
*Starting MSRP of $23,995 for a 2024 Volkswagen Taos S 1.5L TSI® with 8-speed automatic transmission. Price excludes transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price.

I love my baby Atlas!

Scott A, 11/22/2022
2023 Volkswagen Taos SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I think the Edmunds reviewer did a great job describing what the Taos is. I love the handling, space, tech, fuel economy and looks. I have the AWD version and have averaged 29 mpg to date. The transmission is lazy with a bias for fuel economy, but I'm used to the DSG from my Golf GTI, so I know how to take over and get the most out of the engine. I just really love the car and am happy with the purchase. I'm not an SUV person, and this car is great.

Jetta SUV

GED, 04/02/2023
2023 Volkswagen Taos S 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

As satisfied Jetta owners over the years we weren't all that surprised with our Taos since it's an SUV built around a Jetta engine. We get the same great 40+ mpg on the highway with decent acceleration and handling for its class. We just got back from a 2500 mile road trip grateful for the comfort it provided both driver and passenger! Road view is excellent with minimal blind spots. Even the basic sound system is a cut above what we expected for this price point. Cockpit noise is a little on the louder side, but we just turned up the music. Another plus for our road trip was the ample storage space in this vehicle. Simply amazing! After years of satisfied Jetta ownership, we look forward to the same with the Taos.

Build Your Volkswagen Taos
  • $23,995*starting MSRP
Build & Pricevw.com

Worst car I've ever owned

BMO, 10/21/2023
2023 Volkswagen Taos SE 4dr SUV (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a VW that I was happy with so I decided to go with the '23 Taos SE. Everything about this car really sucks. These are my thoughts I have on this car in the year I owned it before trading it in. First off, the electrical system in my Taos was very bad. Almost a third of the time I would try to roll my driver window up, and it would go down instead, or I would try to roll it down more and nothing would happen. So many times it would roll down when I would try to roll it up, and I did the reset and so did the dealership, which did nothing. When you press the horn, there is this slight delay before you hear anything, like an electronic delay, same when you let go of the brakes, it takes a split second before the brake lights turn off. Now with the way it drives. You hit the acceleration and you get a solid one second lag before the car even responds. My brakes had to be replaced during my 10k oil change because of how bad they were grinding. Something I really hated about this car was how the car lurches and jerks forward when you press the gas, even when you drive with a light foot. It was the absolute worst in the rain (there is one month of rain total where I live so I opted for FWD), and any time I would accelerate from a stop, my tires would skid and feel as if I was hydroplaning and my traction control lights would come on. There were few other reasons I had in addition to these major faults for trading in my car but it wasn't until I got a different car that I realized just how poorly made the Taos is. Worst quality car like the entire car was built as an afterthought that VW had. It's an attractive car but it wasn't ready and clearly rushed to market or they just didn't care about the quality of this one. I traded it in at 17k miles but at 16k miles my remote start stopped working and shortly after the check engine light came on and it was something with the EVAP system with the external air intake being stuck, I wish I could remember what it was exactly, but nonetheless I don't expect repairs like this in the first 20k miles at least. A lot about the car just felt so cheap, not just the parts inside the car but the engine, the way it sounded, the way it felt, the shuddering at low speeds in stop and go traffic, the jerkiness and sluggish performance. The tech is underwhelming and the driver assistance is terrible, like they used the cheapest and worst sensors that weren't good enough for the Tiguan on this Taos. In the morning when I would start my Taos and drive, there would be a sound of a squeaky wheel, not sure what this sound was but it's a cheap sound you don't expect your brand new German-made car to make. Everything about this car I really wanted to love and it just fell so short. And these tires love to screech at corners and when you take off from a stop. It's like the car is too light to handle the torque but then the HP and torque itself are quite weak so the car as a whole is just a really big bummer. I guess this could be a nice car for a brand new driver but only if you don't care about reliability or safety. The only thing I enjoyed about this car was the way it handled in dry weather on a paved road, but what's the point when it fails in the rain and is not a car you can count on. I hope their next generation of this car they can get right but I went with another SUV and am so glad I did. I don't think I'll get another VW moving forward. Not sure what's going on but it seems like quality or reliability is not something they care about.

What a Surprise - Taos

Terry, 03/08/2023
2023 Volkswagen Taos S 4dr SUV AWD (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

The car rides and drives extremely well. I am averaging 38 mpg on the highway at posted speeds. My transmission appears to work best in ECO and Super modes. The regular mode appears to be more jurky. ECO works perfectly for me. I have no problems accelerating and getting up to speed. The car is comfortable and has an up-scale feel about it. The fit and finish is excellent. I have the S model and it feels like i am driving a luxury car. The base stereo is outstanding. The only complaint is over 70 mph the road noise is noticeable. However, the engine is always quiet and composed. The car never feels underpowered. I chose this SUV over the Tiguan - even I was surprised. So far it has been great.

1...