2020 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

$22,995

Save as much as $4,121
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Great car and good $ per Value

O, 12/21/2020
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Looking for a family car that fits taller than average people, it's the best. My kids are 6.3 and 6.0, and I am 6.0 and have a great room in the back with plenty of room on both the driver and front passenger side. The power is a bit on the low end of the low RPM range, but it has good performance in the higher RPM ranges once you punch it. Good MPG. I get 30 - 33+ on the highway at 70 MPH. I will be using it to go skiing in the winter, and a rear folding seat is a good option for skis and gear.

Comfortable Cruiser

BRM, 03/03/2021
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was somewhat hesitant about buying a car based on such a...mature platform....but I the looks of the R-Line with the 2020 refresh were enough to at least make me want to test drive. Boy, was I surprised. Coming from a Tucson, it was nice to be back in a sedan and it handles like a dream. Suspension is great at smoothing out the ohio potholes, and the big R line wheels dont make it too firm. The driver assistance features work well, and are not terribly intrusive - adaptive cruise works especially well. The room inside is fantastic, and is actually more practical than my old suv. I can fit longer items in the back with seats down, and the rear legroom is NUTS. Overall, considering the nuts incentives that VW has on these, there was nothing close to it in terms of value and style. Some reviews mention odd transmission shifting, and while it can be occasionally slow to upshift, it is generally a non issue for me. The interior also gets complaints from people for being dated, but I like the layout and the simplicity of everything and not having a giant tablet stuck on top of the dash. Overall, great style and an excellent road trip car.

Too bad

Lewis, 10/23/2020
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Hello Not long ago, Volkswagen purchased a new 20-year Passat R line with finance. Since August, my existing car broke down, so I was thinking about buying it, but I heard that there is a Korean dealer in Atlanta because I like Volkswagen, so we talked about it and thought about buying it. My grandfather passed away from late September to October, so I went to Korea in a hurry, but as I was re-entering Atlanta from Korea on Saturday, the 10th, I visited by Atlanta Volkswagen dealership to buy a car. I was told to write the contract first because the car I liked on the Internet was not stocked yet, so I test-drive the car with the same color option trim and bought it at the end of 5 hours and came back to Montgomery, Alabama. I had too much luggage. I came back home feeling complacent because I needed to adjust to the time difference and because I was in such a hurry to leave the company for a long time, and because I was in a test drive. When I arrived at home and I checked the exterior and interior of the car, and found that the car was not able to be restored with black marks and A-pillar scratch trunk hinges. I've been commuting to and from work, so the tire balance and wheel alignment didn't fit at all. When I told the dealer these facts because the rear parking aid (alarm) or the front vehicle operation brake (automatic deceleration) does not work properly and the wind noise or road noise is so severe if it exceeds 50 miles per hour, he was lucky in two hours, so he finished the inspection quickly and he said the Passat car was perfect . When I will come to Atlanta, he said he'd test-drive with me. What's more disgusting is that it's my first time buying a new car, so I didn't know the other options (accessories), so I thought it was the original condition that my car had no tints and leather protectors. So I asked the dealer how much tint it was and he said 399 dollars. Yeah, well, I thought that it's a new car, so I had to invest. But when I got home, I looked at the contract and found out that it should have basic tanning and leather seat protection. When I called the dealer, he said he was mistaken. He said he would do it when I will come up to Atlanta because of a car problem and tinting. I am so angry now and I think that I have no eye for people, not because of the Korean sentiment but because of the fact that there are a lot of discounts when purchasing cars in the U.S. since it is the end of the year with Corona. I'm glad I'm working in the quality department in the car manufacturing industry and my coworkers are familiar with cars. I almost fell for it thinking that I had a bad luck with the car I've written down all these facts, but can I get a refund or a car exchange if I tell Volkswagen headquarters about my claim or complaint? I feel so bad and I feel bad and annoyed when I ride a new car every day. Help me. The trim in the rear seat’s door does not fit at all and there are too many sealers in the driver's compartment. Obviously, this car has not been inspected properly or is a defective vehicle.

2 out of 5 stars

Good look and feel

Bobby M, 04/28/2021
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife and I bought the 2020 Passat SEL a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic. In that year we have come to really enjoy the look and feel of the drive. The pluses: * Huge trunk space * huge back seat with back seat leg warmers * Automatic mirrors, * Passenger side power seats * easy and smooth ride * quiet ride unlike previous years models, literally really quiet the Bad * carnet wasn't installed, I was suppose to get 5 years free but they ended up not having it installed even thou I have the buttons for it. It is being installed tomorrow, a little more than a year since I bought it. * touch screen tech is sooo small for today's standards. They couldn't put in a 9 inch screen? * The car is slow to accelerate, you really have to step on the gas to get going. * Gas Mileage on the highway is rather fantastic, in the city, expect 23-24, on the highway, 35. The carnet thing was a huge bummer, but I would recommend this car.

My car of choice

Edna Siltman, Mason City, IL, 05/07/2021
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first Passat was a 2008, driven to 230,000 miles. I knew I would eventually own another so when I found this 2020 Passat it was inevitable. Very pleased with the engineering and handling as well as overall look and luxury. Thank you Volkswagen.