2020 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

$22,995

Save as much as $5,745
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Roomy and Comfy!

tweetconn, 12/15/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my new 2020 Passat SE in September. I had wanted a Passat for some time. I chose the Platinum Gray Metallic color. The car is very roomy with lots of legroom even in the rear seating area. There are many safety features; lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, backup camera, adaptive cruise control, etc. To my surprise, my car insurance premium actually went down because of them. I like the engine temperature guage (which my 2014 Jetta didn't have) and the torque converted 6 speed automatic transmission. The gas pedal is very responsive and the power from the 2.0 TSI engine is good. Brakes are very responsive. The car handles well and has the typical German car feel. I have done better than the 34 mpg highway mileage rating of 34 mpg. I average 36 on the highway and 32mpg in and around town. My only dislike is that it does not have a CD player, but the Apple Carplay feature helps to make up for that. I intend to cut the oil change interval in half and change the oil every 5000 miles. (It is important to use synthetic oil in turbo motors.) I hope to keep this car for a long time. I also got a great deal, by paying $6000 below MSRP!

Yes, but.....

David Emrich, 09/27/2020
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had a 2014 Passat that I hated when I first drove it. But then I adjusted the steering wheel, and seat, and thought, oh. When I bought it, I felt terrible driving it home. I thought I’d made a mistake. It felt like a cheap rental car. But then I got used to it, and I loved it. Ditto this one. I love the motor. So much fun to drive. But it does shake when it warms up. Misses. Salesman says his Jetta does the same thing. 1,100 rpm, then 600 once it’s warmed up. Smooth. You can nit pick this car, but the gestalt of the experience supplants that for me. The sum is greater than the individual pieces.

Buyer beware

Remorseful, 09/15/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the car for just over 3 weeks. I now have 2400 miles on it, having taken a trip to Florida last week. There are some pluses. The air conditioning is ice cold. The gas mileage on the highway is better than the ratings. The standard radio is impressive for its sound quality. The car does have long legs, and highway miles go by easily. But had I known of the issues I have encountered, I never would have purchased the car. The alignment is off, pulling the car to the right. I had already driven another Passat at a different dealer, and honestly did not think I would have any issues, so I did not test drive this car. I wanted to have the alignment looked into when I was in Florida, but the dealer told me that all costs would have to be covered by me. Needless to say, I did not go that route. Once back home, I had to call VW Cares to set up an appointment at the selling dealer to have it looked at. This is to be done tomorrow. The grille is not aligned properly. The gaps between it and the hood and headlights differ from side to side. Yet relative to the bumper, things look okay. The passenger side rear door is not aligned flush with the fender or the front door, standing proud of the fender, and set a bit deeper than the front door. The driver's side is fine. The car does not have a sunroof. Yet it was built with the control wheel in the headliner, which operates the sunroof. Sealant applications under the hood and in the trunk area are sloppy and clearly not applied in a controlled manner. Dash creaks have surfaced. The driver's door and trunk sound like an old screen door hinge that has not been lubricated in years when they are opened and closed. In short, I have to believe that quality controls or tooling on the assembly line in Chattanooga are sadly lacking. Oh, and this car was built shortly after the factory re-opened following the pandemic shutdown. So, I consider mine to be a Covid vehicle. I worked in a production environment, and I know how factories were re-started, with smaller crews, putting operators in positions that they were not familiar with. My guess is that a car built earlier in the model run would have been superior.

LOVE MY PASSAT

JEEPserviceSucks, 05/03/2021
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I now have almost 10k miles on my Passat R Line. I get amazing service with free loaners, car washes etc from every dealership I have been too. No problems at all with my car. I have averaged 28 MPG combined city and highway with a lead foot. On regular unleaded as well. I am a big guy. 6'3" over 300lbs with very wide shoulders as I have to have a 54 long suit and I have plenty of room and the back seat is huge as is the trunk. For the money not a better car on the road. This is my run around car as I also have a big diesel truck. Love it.

Underwhelmed

Richard Maina, 09/22/2020
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For a car with a $ 33000 msrp it rides like a cheaper car. Transmission shifts erratically and has many features that are very complicated!