Used 2016 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Very Good Car
By Victor M DeCosta

2016 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great Sedan for the money. Never had a repair problem !

Not completely displeased, not completely pleased
By Yvonne

2016 Volkswagen Passat R-Line 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I honestly wish that I had taken a longer test drive. This car does not handle dips and bumps well at all.
My initial review has not changed. I have grown accustomed to the ride so it's not as noticeable, but the initial transition from my Camry to this car was a real eye opener. I've since learned that German cars are designed more for taking the curves rather than dips and bumps; that bit of research before purchase would have helped. To be honest, the car that the VW replaced was a 1996 Toyota Camry model and a lot has happened to cars since that purchse. Having said that, I really can't compare my Pissat to other 1996 cars. I was car shopping and went with my cousin to a VW dealer because he needed to pick up his car that was being serviced. It was not my intention to get a VW but he is a car salesman and spoke highly of them. Overall, I am not really displeased with the car --- just accustomed to a different type of ride.

2016 VW Passat TSI
By Teshia Waldo

2016 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Very SILENT Car ... Smooth Ride, Kind Of Spacious ... Comfortable, Coming From A Dodge Charger ... I Made A Lovely Purchase ... !!!

VWPASSAT2016LEMON
By Terri

2016 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

**** "PROBLEM NOT FOUND", "PROBLEM UNABLE TO BE REPRODUCED" AND "EPC LIGHT, ENGINE LIGHT AND BATTERY LIGHT NOT ON" EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE ON WHEN I ARRIVED AND HAD TAKEN A PICTURE DAYS PRIOR SHOWING ALL LIGHTS (EPC, BATTERY & ENGINE) WERE ON. ALL OF A SUDDEN, AFTER HAVING BEEN ON FOR NUMEROUS DAYS, THEY TURNED OFF RIGHT AWAY. I GUESS I CAN NOT EXPECT THE TRUTH. THANKFULLY, I HAVE PICTURES VERIFYING WHAT I TOLD THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. THAT WAS THE REASON I WAS THERE.**** This car left the manufacturer in March 2016. I leased this car from Brown's Volkswagen on Midlothian Turnpike Richmond, Va. in April of 2016. It had 8 miles at the time I leased it. Unfortunately, I have had to take this car to the shop countless times. In July 2016, less than 3 months after leasing it brand new, it stalled at a railroad track, and would not move, but sounded like something was still turning. In August 2016, I had my oil changed at Brown's one Saturday. The following Monday, I had to travel more than three hours away and was stranded because the engine light came on due to the car overheating. A local shop showed a very damaged hose as the culprit. In November 2016, the car stalled again. Also, in November 2016, the engine light came on because of a faulty leak detection pump. The service department explained to me that the car was supposed to release the emissions gradually, but my car let it all out at once. In February 2017, the EPC light, engine light and battery light came on, and made a loud, scraping sound when I turned.

On my last visit in March 2017, I voiced my numerous concerns with the Volkswagen manufacturer who scheduled an appointment for me at the Bethesda Md. Ourisman service department. They had the car for a week since I had a loaner out-of-town, but had checked it by Monday. They stated if they can't find a problem they can't fix it, and left it at that. They also noted the EPC, engine and battery light were NOT on; however, I had already taken a picture of all three on.

In addition, the Ourisman male rep I paid $15 to for the loaner tried to get me to sign and submit the service form releasing the car BACK to me. Upon my refusal to do so, he stepped closer and placed himself inches away in front of me as I stood up to leave. He looked at me sternly and somewhat angrily. I looked at him, told him he was in my way and needed to get out of my way. Afterwards, his co-worker called out to him and he moved.

Frustrated after having another VW dealer tell me they could not find anything wrong, we removed the license plates, and left the vehicle with the Ourisman dealer. We gathered our items from the car and walked up the street to wait for a cab to the train station to travel 2 hours back home. At this time, I was in a lot of pain from an injury the day before.

Minutes later, I ran into a non-VW mechanic to whom I explained the issues I had experienced with this car, and he responded they all sounded like transmission issues. He also stated that if the computer was not picking it up, the computer may be defective. None of the VW service departments I visited ever had a clue why my car was experiencing these issues. They kept telling me the car was fine, and left it at that. Obviously, if I had these mechanical issues and the engine light came on numerous times, there was an issue.

A few days after returning home, I returned the license plates to the department of motor vehicles for the refund of a very recently purchased 2018 decal and was notified the refund would be sent to VW because it was a leased vehicle. I would never want to deal with another one of their vehicles OR trust any dealings with VOLKSWAGEN or their dealerships. I had nothing but issues with this car from a few months after signing paperwork for this BRAND NEW VW PASSAT until the time I left it with the last VOLKSWAGEN dealer to conclude THE PROBLEM CAN NOT BE FOUND OR REPRODUCED OR NO PROBLEMS FOUND AT THIS TIME.

This car is actually a Volkswagen Passat 2016 1.8T SE, but that choice was not listed above for selection.

Great Christmas surprise
By Chris R.S.

2016 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Okay so when I got this car I was not in the market to purchase a vehicle. They had a rebate on this vehicle and I was able to get out of my 2012 jatta. I have owned the car 3 months now and I only have one complaint I have a vibration from improper balancing done at the factory (took the car in yesterday rebalancing $40 and all better) car is great for a 1.8 turbo I spin the tires in first and second gear, and I love the styling. It's very roomy and me being 6'1" I can sit behind my seat in the back seat without my knees getting close to the drivers seat. I took my Passat on our first trip for Christmas to Disneyland (300 mile trip from Las Vegas) even with the bad traffic from Christmas Day I still got great mileage and was very comfortable the whole way. I say it's a great value for the money (my car msrp was just under $25,000) I have the led light package and it lights up the night! Everyone thinks I have my high beams on (they never are) I hope if you are not a vw fan and your afraid to purchase from the diesel recall please give them a chance this is my 6th vw and I have been happy with all of them! And it's true "Fahrvergnügen: It's what makes a car a Volkswagen"