Used 2016 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Had the "Bug" for VW Passat
By Kevin Byrnes

2016 Volkswagen Passat SEL PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After wanting a Passat TDI for years (until the diesel scandal broke), I had decided to check-out the gas engine models. The 2016 Passat SEL PZEVs were among the first to add adaptive cruise control and blind-spot and rear traffic detection. This model does not have autonomous emergency braking, lane adjustment or autonomous parking features. I don't see the blind-spot detection warning lights in the side mirrors very clearly, they seem to be located too peripheral and a little too small to be noticeable, and the braking system feels a little "grabby", requiring some getting use to. On long-distance hwy trips through fairly flat terrain, I am averaging around 34 mpg, at 70+ avg speed, & substantial load and A/C running. The spacious trunk and backseat accommodates lots of baggage and golf clubs without folding down the back seat. The premium Fender audio system really rocks...almost excessive amp wattage, but crystal clear with no buzz from bass or tinny/brassy high end. After years of Toyota ownership, Passat has a different handling feel. I was surprised that VW dealer didn't offer free oil changes under balance of new car warranty period, so I chose to go to 3rd party tire/auto maintenance shop to avoid $150 pricey dealer quote for synthetic oil change and tire rotation.

Very Good Car
By Victor M DeCosta

2016 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great Sedan for the money. Never had a repair problem !

Not completely displeased, not completely pleased
By Yvonne

2016 Volkswagen Passat R-Line 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I honestly wish that I had taken a longer test drive. This car does not handle dips and bumps well at all.
My initial review has not changed. I have grown accustomed to the ride so it's not as noticeable, but the initial transition from my Camry to this car was a real eye opener. I've since learned that German cars are designed more for taking the curves rather than dips and bumps; that bit of research before purchase would have helped. To be honest, the car that the VW replaced was a 1996 Toyota Camry model and a lot has happened to cars since that purchse. Having said that, I really can't compare my Pissat to other 1996 cars. I was car shopping and went with my cousin to a VW dealer because he needed to pick up his car that was being serviced. It was not my intention to get a VW but he is a car salesman and spoke highly of them. Overall, I am not really displeased with the car --- just accustomed to a different type of ride.

2016 VW Passat TSI
By Teshia Waldo

2016 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Very SILENT Car ... Smooth Ride, Kind Of Spacious ... Comfortable, Coming From A Dodge Charger ... I Made A Lovely Purchase ... !!!

VWPASSAT2016LEMON
By Terri

2016 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

**** "PROBLEM NOT FOUND", "PROBLEM UNABLE TO BE REPRODUCED" AND "EPC LIGHT, ENGINE LIGHT AND BATTERY LIGHT NOT ON" EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE ON WHEN I ARRIVED AND HAD TAKEN A PICTURE DAYS PRIOR SHOWING ALL LIGHTS (EPC, BATTERY & ENGINE) WERE ON. ALL OF A SUDDEN, AFTER HAVING BEEN ON FOR NUMEROUS DAYS, THEY TURNED OFF RIGHT AWAY. I GUESS I CAN NOT EXPECT THE TRUTH. THANKFULLY, I HAVE PICTURES VERIFYING WHAT I TOLD THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. THAT WAS THE REASON I WAS THERE.**** This car left the manufacturer in March 2016. I leased this car from Brown's Volkswagen on Midlothian Turnpike Richmond, Va. in April of 2016. It had 8 miles at the time I leased it. Unfortunately, I have had to take this car to the shop countless times. In July 2016, less than 3 months after leasing it brand new, it stalled at a railroad track, and would not move, but sounded like something was still turning. In August 2016, I had my oil changed at Brown's one Saturday. The following Monday, I had to travel more than three hours away and was stranded because the engine light came on due to the car overheating. A local shop showed a very damaged hose as the culprit. In November 2016, the car stalled again. Also, in November 2016, the engine light came on because of a faulty leak detection pump. The service department explained to me that the car was supposed to release the emissions gradually, but my car let it all out at once. In February 2017, the EPC light, engine light and battery light came on, and made a loud, scraping sound when I turned.

On my last visit in March 2017, I voiced my numerous concerns with the Volkswagen manufacturer who scheduled an appointment for me at the Bethesda Md. Ourisman service department. They had the car for a week since I had a loaner out-of-town, but had checked it by Monday. They stated if they can't find a problem they can't fix it, and left it at that. They also noted the EPC, engine and battery light were NOT on; however, I had already taken a picture of all three on.

In addition, the Ourisman male rep I paid $15 to for the loaner tried to get me to sign and submit the service form releasing the car BACK to me. Upon my refusal to do so, he stepped closer and placed himself inches away in front of me as I stood up to leave. He looked at me sternly and somewhat angrily. I looked at him, told him he was in my way and needed to get out of my way. Afterwards, his co-worker called out to him and he moved.

Frustrated after having another VW dealer tell me they could not find anything wrong, we removed the license plates, and left the vehicle with the Ourisman dealer. We gathered our items from the car and walked up the street to wait for a cab to the train station to travel 2 hours back home. At this time, I was in a lot of pain from an injury the day before.

Minutes later, I ran into a non-VW mechanic to whom I explained the issues I had experienced with this car, and he responded they all sounded like transmission issues. He also stated that if the computer was not picking it up, the computer may be defective. None of the VW service departments I visited ever had a clue why my car was experiencing these issues. They kept telling me the car was fine, and left it at that. Obviously, if I had these mechanical issues and the engine light came on numerous times, there was an issue.

A few days after returning home, I returned the license plates to the department of motor vehicles for the refund of a very recently purchased 2018 decal and was notified the refund would be sent to VW because it was a leased vehicle. I would never want to deal with another one of their vehicles OR trust any dealings with VOLKSWAGEN or their dealerships. I had nothing but issues with this car from a few months after signing paperwork for this BRAND NEW VW PASSAT until the time I left it with the last VOLKSWAGEN dealer to conclude THE PROBLEM CAN NOT BE FOUND OR REPRODUCED OR NO PROBLEMS FOUND AT THIS TIME.

This car is actually a Volkswagen Passat 2016 1.8T SE, but that choice was not listed above for selection.