Used 2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

TDI modified
By Jeffrey L. Audet

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The infotainment system has periodic lags. The TDI modification lowered fuel economy by about 7 mpg. Highway is max 43 mpg now.

This will be our last Volkswagen
By Jamie

2014 Volkswagen Passat Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Burns oil, shifts very poorly and although it is a gas engine it has slowly become as loud as a diesel. Please do not buy this car if you value reliability.

Why did Volkswagen join the bad car business?
By ANN HENRY

2014 Volkswagen Passat Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If you recall German car manufacturers being the A game, think again. Those were the good old days. A VW on your grill meant stability and longevity. Now it means the owner of this car is a sucker. Rat-a-tat 4 cylinder engines in a mid-sized car probably should be available in this new techno world but it hasn't been fine tuned in the VW. The DSG modeled transmissions that they have managed to sneak past the NHSTA isn't fooling everyone and should send someone to prison this time. If you want a car with room for adults in the back-seat and reliable gas mileage, look for something else. I hear Honda and Toyota are also following the new "cheat the consumer" modeling of VW, so car shopping is going to take a while to get your money's worth... I actually bought a CPO which doesn't mean a damn thing. The car has been back to the dealer 8 times in 3 months because I can hear and feel the supposed AUTOMATIC transmission shifting gears, HARD. Does this car have a clutch? "Absolutely not (they say), if it had a clutch it would say so. The car has to learn how you drive so that it can respond correctly." Really? What kind of transmission LEARNS how you drive? And if that is the case, what does the car do when someone else drives my car? I know what a bad transmission is. I know when a clutch is going bad. What do I do when a clutch goes bad in my automatic transmission? The dealer doesn't know. VW's very own customer care center doesn't know. The most problematic part is no one cares. It's your car now lady!

Worst vehicle I ever had!!!
By Mike Buskol

2014 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Do not lease VWs worst turn in inspection ever and have to pay for all the things that go wrong with it. Every ding scrape and things out. Horrible in the snow. Transmission has multiple problems and dealership and customer service is horrible to deal with. I have told friends and family never to purchase a VW. And now recommend the rest of the world boycott them.

A-lot for car for the buck - seats
By Andy

2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was in a market to buy a family size sedan, which is safe, reliable, and with high MPG numbers, due to my long commute. I previously owned Cavalier, Infiniti 135, Toyota Camry, and all these cars are great car, and sold them once reached 150k miles. This time around, I wanted to buy a diesel car, hoping to be economical in terms of commute, and reliable well above 200k miles. After doing lots of research, I fell in love with Passat, and decided to buy one. In February 2014, I bought myself a Tdi Se Passat. I love the car at first. Very spacious interior, car came with 2-year maintenance package, so there was nothing to worry at this point. First time owning diesel car, I was greatly impressed with the engine performance, and fast shifting, auto manual transmission.
Cabin and trunk space is quite generous. Certainly, enjoy the dual clutch manual shifting while passing others on highway. Over all feel is quite safe, while driving in bad weather conditions. Drove through winter blizzard and still felt confident, traction controls, and weight distribution has significantly improved the driving dynamics of this car. I certainly enjoyed filing the tank twice for 1500-mile road trip. One tank full lasted about 725miles, significantly reduced my daily work commute cost. This car achieves higher MPG then listed, 29 combined, and 40 on highway.
I found Passat has the worst seats IMO. It is almost impossible to access the seat comfort, when you by the new car after driving for 15 minute. I thought, once I start driving, leather will loosen up, and seat will become more comfortable, but I was wrong. I love the car, but the terrible seats was causing back pain. After some of my friends complain about the bad seats, I took the car to professional upholstery car shop, and they pointed out, there is not enough cushion to support the lower back. After a year, and driving 20k miles, I had to give in, and finally trade in for other car. When you have a 100-mile daily commute, it is important to have comfortable seats.