Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 357 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Thirteen years old and still going strong
By jsnoWVen

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2004. Other than a few minor recall items, it has never been back to the dealership; I have an honest, reliable mechanic who has done the maintenance and repairs for me. I have faithfully performed all scheduled maintenance on the car with the exception of the timing belt, which I replaced early on the advice of the mechanic. This car has been 100% dependable, is a joy to drive, and looks good, too. I fully expect to be driving this car well into the future.

My first car
By Cooper Church

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I got this car with 120,000 miles on it, with the original clutch from my neighbor. I needed massive work in the past few months, a new exhaust, motor mounts, shocks, and battery. I learned that they are safe, and can be dangerous to other vehicles. The car has been a money pit from hell in the year I have owned it, with over 2,000 dollars in repairs, and can't stay out of the shop more than a month. The cars electricals act up, and likes to shudder when at high speed, the plastic creeks, but other than that the car is reasonably quiet. My big issue is the repair costs, VW only uses OEM parts, and my exhaust cost 1,500 to replace, and the motors mounts, around 300.

Wonderful road hugger
By JG DC

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The card handles so well, hugging curves and effortlessly making turns. Little effort required. The engine is there for you when you need to make your moves. I love the sliding tilting sunroof and the leather interior. The seats show no wear, stay clean and are very comfortable to sit on. Lots of safety features and easy handling. The cold weather package ensures the front seats warm up in the coldest weather, adding to comfortable heating system. Winter isn't a problem with anti-slip and anti skid steering. A car that is meant for cruising the highway on long trips in safety and comfort! I don't want to sell or trade it in. I will drive it until is ready for that great wrecking yard in the sky!

hear me out please!
By Thomas Routhier

2004 Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

focus on your findings, accept fact us used car buyers want to know professional folks considerations on features, and overall reliability....Don't dawdle get to recommendations be fair but bad is bad, poor poor, good good, great great, and please if using adds....... slim down......My view? Your features GREAT GREAT!

Don't believe all the myths about these cars!!!
By William

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven American cars my entire life, and almost bought another one after my accident in a 2006 Chevy Malibu. To the Chevy's credit, it was comfortable and had great gas mileage, but it was definitely not safe enough, and there were compromises in other areas. Some of which included build quality, performance, design, etc. After a lot of research about these car, and my son being a huge German car fan, I decided to test drive this car on the roads I'm accustomed to and in the way I drive. The performance is excellent, and the ride is very capable and tuned for comfort. After looking at about 15 different cars (foreign and domestic), this was definitely the best and safest car for the money.

For years I have heard of so many horror stories about these cars, mostly about parts and reliability and things like that. I have had no trouble so far. This car does require some knowledge and willingness to learn, and simple maintenance is easy to do and is relatively cheap (like replacing a cabin air filter in a few minutes with a $12.00 aftermarket part). Only if you go to the dealer for absolutely everything will you see the money piling up. I would recommend doing simple things like that yourself. But really, no major problems whatsoever. Just as reliable as American cars.

I was lucky to find this car, as it is a high trim car with the better engine and features. It was a one owner car, and was obviously well taken care of for the 67,000 original miles. My one big complaint about this car is the gas mileage which is about 20-24 in mixed driving. Although it says in the owners manual that you can run it on regular gas (not E85), I use the middle-grade one and my car runs perfectly. Otherwise, it's a great looking, comfortable, and fun car that I hope to enjoy for many miles to come.