Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Worst mistake I've ever made in my 58 years!
By Chris

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car for my daughter, whom had had a tough time growing up, but always wanted a VW Bug. I bought with my heart and not my head, never do that again. Every negative review herein is 100% true, it is a lemon of engineering bumbleheads, I'm an engineer so can say that. Paid $10,500 for this 2005 VW Turbo in 2014. Since then it has been in the shop 7 times, and currently sits in a parking lot not running. Convertible top went out 45 days after purchase (common problem $1000 minimum), windows stopped working at 75 days ($$?). Transmission started jumping at about 3 months of ownership ($7000 if needs to be replaced). Currently the rear window regulators need replacing ($600 a pop), the battery harness is melting (common problem $750), Already spent $3000 in misc problems, timing chain, etc. This car is just not worth the headaches, trust the negative reviews herein, skip Volkswagen, their reputation is so tarnished and damaged, stay away.

Gave out with only 86,000 miles!!!
By annb

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In the 7 years I owned the car, the rear right side window motor had to be replaced as well as the front driver's side window. Short in the left blinker system that always blew out the left rear signal. The port for ipod hook up burned out. Overall...the electric features were unreliable.

VW Corporation does not stand behind it's PRODUCT.
By Angelina Massa

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2005 New Beetle VW convertible, mellow yellow at the age of 65years old. This was always my dream car. I purchased in Brandon FLorida, paid cash. My car is now 12 years old, I always treated my car like my most treasured possession, my mileage is now 19,000 miles no dents, no scratches, beautiful leather gray interior. At the age of 6 (car age) my interior dash, side panels, front and back and around my steering wheel started getting gummie and stickie. Oh, by the way I am a female. I took it to Myrtle Beach VW to show it to them, before I went I checked for any recall, none reported. The VW Dealer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, first question out of their mouths (talking to a male) he wanted to know what I used to clean the interior. I immediately became annoyed,and asked would you ask a man that as a first question? I told them I carefully read the Manuel when I purchased the care and I knew what to clean the interior. His claim was that I used something that created the problem. Again I said would you have made that statement to a MAN????? They did not help me at all. I then went to several body shops and found out that they have seen the same thing in other VW New Beetles 2005. Called VW Executive offices and explained the situation to them, again to no avail. I have a perfect exterior, beautiful mileage , great leather interior but the plastic parts of the interior are melting.

Fabulous beetle
By Dexxie

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used with 12,000 miles on it and have owned it for ten years. I've not really had any problems with it. In the first nine years I owned it the only things I had to replace were brakes, lights because they generally last a year and the driver's side window. I believe the weather in Wisconsin has a dramatic influence on how the windows operate. To release the pressure on the window on my convertible, I use a credit card to break the seal from the frozen ice in the winter. Another thing I've learned to do in the winter is leave the window down a little so when the temp changes the window doesn't get iced over.

The cutest!!!
By Tracy Wilson

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this cute car!!! It's perfect for me with the sunroof leather interior etc. I feel like I'm driving my Audi A4 convertible