Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

VW Corporation does not stand behind it's PRODUCT.
By Angelina Massa

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2005 New Beetle VW convertible, mellow yellow at the age of 65years old. This was always my dream car. I purchased in Brandon FLorida, paid cash. My car is now 12 years old, I always treated my car like my most treasured possession, my mileage is now 19,000 miles no dents, no scratches, beautiful leather gray interior. At the age of 6 (car age) my interior dash, side panels, front and back and around my steering wheel started getting gummie and stickie. Oh, by the way I am a female. I took it to Myrtle Beach VW to show it to them, before I went I checked for any recall, none reported. The VW Dealer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, first question out of their mouths (talking to a male) he wanted to know what I used to clean the interior. I immediately became annoyed,and asked would you ask a man that as a first question? I told them I carefully read the Manuel when I purchased the care and I knew what to clean the interior. His claim was that I used something that created the problem. Again I said would you have made that statement to a MAN????? They did not help me at all. I then went to several body shops and found out that they have seen the same thing in other VW New Beetles 2005. Called VW Executive offices and explained the situation to them, again to no avail. I have a perfect exterior, beautiful mileage , great leather interior but the plastic parts of the interior are melting.

Fabulous beetle
By Dexxie

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used with 12,000 miles on it and have owned it for ten years. I've not really had any problems with it. In the first nine years I owned it the only things I had to replace were brakes, lights because they generally last a year and the driver's side window. I believe the weather in Wisconsin has a dramatic influence on how the windows operate. To release the pressure on the window on my convertible, I use a credit card to break the seal from the frozen ice in the winter. Another thing I've learned to do in the winter is leave the window down a little so when the temp changes the window doesn't get iced over.

The cutest!!!
By Tracy Wilson

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this cute car!!! It's perfect for me with the sunroof leather interior etc. I feel like I'm driving my Audi A4 convertible

Fun to drive, but never again.
By Casey S

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, and I regret not doing enough researchow on it. Since I bought late 2014, I've had many, many problems. It's almost not worth keeping, considering the repairs have cost almost as much as I paid for it. I beg you, don't fall for the cute style and fun drive like I did. You will regret it.

fun driving car but parts don't last long
By jbdonkey

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I owned two beetle tdi (2003 and 2005 model). I always bought them used and over 100000 miles on meters. They drive smoothly but the interiors are horrible. The door panels are never good. I have look at least twenty beetles from craigslist posts and the plastic or leather parts are bad. Their sale price is way lower compared to Japanese. Since I drive 200 mile every day in commuting and i really care about the gas millage. so I can live with that. If VW try to earn the market, they should know how to improve this. By the way, the parts are not cheap in this car.

shape

really need to improve the plastic parts inside and under the hood. they do not last long.