Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 529 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Do your research on VW cars
By Curt Hojsack

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drove a friends VW Jetta diesel on vacation and fell in love. I was driving a big fuel consuming truck and saw $$$ saving by converting to a VW diesel. I found only one diesel 5 speed in a 500 mile area for sale used. I should have done my research with Edmunds before I bought the VW. Car looks great sporty feeling it was the best 10,000 miles ever the I hit 80k. VW said oh major maintenance timing belt $1400. Drove till no issues to 128k the car started as normal but stalled as I was pulling away from curb in front of my house then 6 times more and would backfire and "roll coal". Dealer had it for 5 days and couldn't diagnose the issue other than saying spend 7400$. Independent mechanic had it diagnosed in 30 mins. due to clogged intake from EGR. Has had all door locks R/R,2 trunk latches, all maintained at 5k instead of 10k that vw says. Now at 200k won't pass smog only 7000$ will fix due to cam,injectors, tandem pump, tank pump and maybe a turbo. Love the space (I'm 6'8") ,the torque but can't afford to repair.

VW RIPOFF 2006 tdi RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN
By john brown

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car new all maintenance and oil and filter changes done since I bought it. I have had to replace radiator, air cond compressor, alternator, anti shudder valve, egr cooler clutch, now at 188000 miles the cam needs to be replaced plus the tappets and the vacuum pump I have spent over $7000 dollars so far on repairs not counting what this is going to cost my suggestion STAY AWAY FROM VOLKSWAGON. Had a check engine lite come on spent another $ 125.00 dollars on diagnostic tests and which I paid for and replaced another $1800.00 in parts and labor not counting the recommended parts I replaced and the check engine lite is still on the dealership will not give me the codes that the diagnostic test said was the problem. I want to take it to another dealership but they want to do another diagnostic test. Also the headliner is falling down the master door lock control has failed the passenger master door lock control switch and the rear upper brake lite has failed the noise suppressor on the inside of the hood has fallen down the resister for the heater fan has failed. The real name for dealership should be STEALERSHIP. VOLKSWAGON just does not seem to care what their dealers do.

Drives like a porsche
By Bob Young

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've replaced many parts with OEM parts, The Radiator, front axles(2), new brakes- front/back, timing belt, water pump, front airbag, turn signal led strip, 4 new tires- 65k warranty. Body has a few small dings and scrapes, leather interior is very good condition, overall a good daily driver or 2nd backup vehicle, dependable and drives great.

It’s not the German VW
By Sam

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this 2.5 Jetta new over 32kCND in Canada in 2006. First class maintenance with VW dealer and paint looks like new. Most of the drive on Hwy and no drive on manual mode. The fact is the transmission slips at gear 3, 4 and then 2 at 192k km (120kmiles). It’ll cost too much to rebuild or replace the transmission (VW quoted over $6kCND +tax replace). I expected to run this VW 250-300k km but only 190k km. So, it’s almost no value now. It is a good looking small VW.
Pro: Looks like very well made car even after 10 years.
Con: Loudly drive, too much bumping on Hwy. Overall: cost, small, vibration

Lots of Pep
By Volkswagen Girl

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Very comfortable car that takes off when you need power. The only major problem I had was the transmission had to be rebuilt.