Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
4.75 out of 5 stars

Still lovin' it.

JStew, 02/17/2004
GLS 4dr Hatchback

I bought the car new in 2000. Have had only a few minor problems. Yes, the oil issue is a pain but it improved over time. I've had the hatch latch repaired under warranty and the cruise control module was replaced, but otherwise no problems. Great gas mileage, still fun to drive. Hatch holds a lot of stuff. A great basic car.

3.13 out of 5 stars

If only it would work reliably ...

pparis, 04/24/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

I was drawn to the TDI by its sleek design, great handling, and its incredible fuel efficiency (50 miles a gallon means that I go to a gas station a little more than once a month). What I did not expect, after I had owned several Golfs prior to this one, were the major problems with reliability. Nearly from day one, things started to break: sunroof, door locks, glow plugs, electronic command module, my ignition key was not recognized and the car disabled itself. Now, the turn-lights aren't working and the "check-engine" light is on again. I should have been more suspicious of the 2-yr warranty. All that in 2.5 years plus really lousy service is more than I can handle.

Love/Hate Relationship

ExOfficio, 04/26/2002
GL 2dr Hatchback

This is my 4rth VW. The new Golf is by far superior. But with VW you are either lucky or poor. More often than not, the latter. While I love many things about the Golf, this will be my last VW. In 1st year - 5spd needed to be completely replaced due to a mftr defect in the 5th gear. Had to battle VW 6 mths with dangerous tranny (wouldn't go into 1st+5th gears -I had to start in 2nd!). Many other problems during the 60000 miles so far. Fun to drive but at what price. Love car but hate reliability. I had it shipped directly from Germany hoping it would prove more reliable than my previous VWs. Some who have been luckier than I, but more who swear they will never buy VWs again.

It's Great ... If It's Working

sherman, 09/11/2007
GLS 4dr Hatchback

My wife and I bought our Golf GLS four-door new in 1999. It only took a couple of months before bizarre problems manifested themselves. Windows that fell into doors, mysterious rattling, seatbelts that refused to work, a radio that went on and off by itself ... plus more serious issues such as transmission problems and sudden brake failure (that's right: failure!), blown head gaskets at 30,000 miles, fluid leaks. Good luck arguing warranty issues with your VW dealer. We spent at least $1000 a year fixing the Golf every year we had it -- factor that in if you buy one. Buy a VW if you're wealthy and/or married to a decent mechanic.

4 out of 5 stars

Great little car!

Eckeman, 10/27/2009
GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this one with 5K miles way back in 2000 and it has been going strong for over 9 years. The only major issue I've had was brake rotor and pad replacement at 25K, which was costly. We also had some minor oxygen sensor and catalytic converter issues that were under warranty and easily resolved. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 90K, as recommended. So in short, we’ve put nearly 120K on this thing with very few problems. The design is very sleek; it hardly looks dated after nearly 10 years. The car is great on the highway, with a very solid, tight feel. It has great safety features (4 air bags, ABS). I love the steering, controls, dash lighting and the interior space.

250K and counting!

4UHONEY, 02/10/2010
GLS 4dr Hatchback

Got w/40K put about 210K on it, overall it's been great, the regular VWGolf problems, the front power windows broke about 3/4 times but VW had a recall and fixed for good, refunded me the $ spent on fixing the previous times, the H/L bulbs would burn every about 4/5 months I carry a spare set in the glove box, other than that just regular maint.the 2000cc eng use oil, thats normal 1 qt every 4 or 5K since new, changed timing belt 1st time @ 150K and was still like new, changed water pump as well just 4 prevention,still orig. clutch. just recently @ 245K the radiator went, so how can I complain??? its a great car. I've read ppl claim to be good in the snow, mine handles horrible in the snow.

3.5 out of 5 stars

German engineering is a myth

superpyogenic, 08/02/2002
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

Gas mileage is great and the performance is about the same as the pathetic 2.0 engine. Reliability is a serious issue. Both tie rods, the infamous VW window regulator, a brake relay, and now the power steering pump have all failed after the lame warranty ran out. German engineering is a myth. These cars break just as often but cost twice as much to fix.

Needs Improvements

Choisan, 01/21/2003
GL 2dr Hatchback

This car was my first brand new car. Here is my grand list of bad behavior by my little golf; rear break pads and rotors replaced at 20k, radio replaced due to sticky buttons, mid console replacement due to damage during radio installation, rear break pads replaced again after another 15k miles! At 40k miles, water pump and timing belt went! Covered under warranty, but they also had to replace oxygen sensor and mass air flow sensor. Bottom line, the car is neat, but reliability sucks, VW service dept. sucks, and customer care folks suck too. So, I hope that my experience will help deter future suckers from buying a German engineering nightmare.

2000 VW Golf GLS TDi

Paul Tee, 07/08/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

Bought new, fun to drive, great MPG I average 45MPG, It has distinctive styling when most cars look like all the other cars. German engineering at an affordable price!

good car so far

jsatt14, 07/15/2011
GLS 4dr Hatchback

i havent had my car for too long but so far it has been great. its my first car and it has been good so far. gas milege is great went to pa about 300 miles from my house and only used alittle less than 3/4 a tank. its comfortable to drive, half the time i dont wanna get out of it. the down side is that the glove box broke and the main driverside switches barely work. i cant lock the doors with it and the windows dont always roll down when i use them. overall its a great car and hopefully it doesnt bring me alot of problems. id buy another one in the future.

2000 VW Golf GLS 2.0L 115hp

Matthew Morse, 05/21/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

This is an excellent car overall, I appreciate the emphasis on safety by the manufacturer. This car is worth the premium in price over other cars in the same class.

confused?

GENIVGOLF, 07/25/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

i cant believe the problems i have had with this car. ive had my o2 sensor changed twice in the past 6 months. my mass air flow sensor took a dump on me at 30000 miles. my instrument panel for my a/c, heat jammed up and had to get that replaced. my coolant sensor went bad at 28000. i cant believe a car that carries the vw badge could preform so poorly. i should of bought a honda!!!

4.38 out of 5 stars

Love/Hate for me too

first and last, 09/20/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

Love to drive it, hate to fix it. Had it for 2 years, been to the dealer 10+ times. All four windows have broken at least once (pass. rear broken 3 times), doors and windows freeze in a mild winter, vinyl on all four door panels melted off, rear cup holder broke (even though nobody uses it), both back brakes completely replaced, recalled twice. The best part: the extended warrenty I bought at the dealer in Canada cannot be redeemed at the dealer I go to in the U.S.!! What's up with that? Definitely my first and last VW.

my first VW lemon

prof, 07/02/2002
GL 2dr Hatchback

I've owned VW's since 1967 and this is my first lemon. The window regulators have failed in two windows at a cost of repair of $330 each. The oil consumption was so bad at 30K miles that they had to replace the rings. Every month it seems like another $300 bucks.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Fun, great milage, but unreliable

iceman, 04/29/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

The Golf TDI is great on gas. I average 48 mpg (mostly highway). It is comfortable for the driver and passenger, but tight in the back seat. For a diesel, it's amazingly quick. The downside has been reliability. Right after the warranty expired I had an electronic ignition failure. The car would just shut off. It happened once in an intersection and I almost got creamed. $250 and two trips to the shop later and it was fine. Last month I noticed a loss in power. The dealer blamed an air sensor. Fixing it was $500.

Give the Golf a chance!

Driver J, 04/30/2003
GLS 4dr Hatchback

I leased a GLS 4-dr Golf and I love it! I drove a Corolla before and now I can't go back to the vanilla style and handling of the Hondas and Toyotas. The only problem I've had is with a faulty oxygen sensor computer. I was expecting this as it seemed to be a flaw on 2000 and early 2001 Golfs and Jettas Otherwise it drive well and I have no complaints. Dealer service in both Wisconsin and Wash DC area has beeen exceptional. No one ever pesters me for extra oil changes, etc. I will probably buy a VW when the lease is up.

BAD,BAD,BAD

SRQ, 03/17/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

HAD MANY PROBLEMS W/ A/C UNIT (HAD TO HAVE REPLACED TWICE IN 6 MOS.) DRIVERS WINDOW FELL OUT ( AND I MEAN IT REALLY FELL OUT!). REAR DOOR PANEL MELTED IN THE SUN. ALL THESE THINGS HAPPENED WITHIN 8000 MILES. WHAT A PAIN!!!! THE CAR IS COMFORTABLE AND FUN TO DRIVE, BUT WE ARE NOW SELLING DUE TO THE PROBLEMS AND THE WARRANTY IS RUNNING OUT. WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER BUY A V.W. AGAIN. TOO MANY PROBLEMS AND NOT ENOUGH WARRANTY .WE WILL STICK TO TOYOTA!!!

Adios VW

Pdodge77, 08/25/2003
GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought the Golf because my wife had an 89 Jetta that was built like a tank. The problems didn't start until just before the warranty expired. At 22,000 miles we had to have the engine computer and various sensors replaced. Oil just "disappears" and mileage is about 20mpg. Brakes and water pump went at 40,000, alternator ($600) at 42,000. The plastic parts and glue have been getting worse and worse all summer. I walked out one morning to find the passenger side trim just hanging (thank god for crazy glue). We're taking a loss and trading it in for a Toyota Matrix. Don't know if I'll trust the Germans ever again...

5 out of 5 stars

don't support saudi arabia? buy this car

824, 06/01/2004
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

Burns Biodiesel -- product of soybeans grown in USA.

2.13 out of 5 stars

THIS CAR JUST STINKS

LNS, 05/11/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

I HATE THIS CAR! NUMEROUS PROBLEMS FROM DAY ONE. AC HAS BEEN WORKED ON TWICE, I GOT A NEW RADIO/CD PLAYER, THE WINDOW FELL IN THE DOOR, PROBLEMS WITH THE BLINKER AND I BELIEVE THERE IS A CLUTCH PROBLEM BUT VW INSISTS IT'S FINE. PLUS OTHER ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS. I HAD A HEARING SET UP WITH THE BBB AND VW OFFERED THE 5YR/72K MILE EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR FREE.THE WARRANTY IS A VERY SMALL TOKEN CONSIDERING WHAT A LEMON IT IS. IT'S ONE OF THOSE CARS THAT THE PROBLEMS HAPPEN FOR YOU AND YOU ONLY. THE DEALERSHIPS CAN NEVER DUPLICATE IT. I WILL NEVER BUY A VW AGAIN. I WILL STICK TO HONDA!!!

4 out of 5 stars

Problems

Patty, 06/26/2002
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

I really like the TDI golf, but I have had many problems with the car. It is the first car that I ever purchased new. All 4 tires went bad at 12,000. The brakes went bad at 25000. A window fell down in the door and the door has never been able to open correctly. The engine light is on now, dealer says it needs a new relay ($250). I wonder whats next!

Brokenwagen

Unhappy driver, 08/31/2003
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchased my VW new and have had numerous problems with it. Since the warranty expired, the problems have continued. Check engine light is always on; rear hatch relay went bad; overhead light completely broken; dash lights out. And now the car hesitates and will sometimes lose power, going into a "limp mode" (EPC light comes on). Service cannot diagnose or replicate the problem. The company is not addressing the pattern of unreliability with the consumers. As much as I like VW performance and styling, I would not buy another one and I advise others to avoid them.

Great Little Car

Lynn, Basking Ridge, 04/05/2002
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This is car clearly the best one I've ever owned (even better than my BMW). It's pickup is awesome for a four- cylinder car. The instrumentation is easy to read and the interior is VERY roomy. The Monsoon audio is acoustically pleasing. Great German handling and solid construction.

TDI GLS 5 speed

jamesroberts, 04/13/2002
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

Ride and build quality is fantastic. Feel much like a european car that is $10,000 more.

I'm Hooked on my Golf

Glenn Scott, 08/04/2008
GLS 4dr Hatchback

Always been a Toyota Junkie, not any more. I bought it with 130K on it and in two weeks I put on about 1800 miles. Its a really fun car to drive the Ergonomics are perfect for me and its a great handling car on the back roads of NH. No problems, I got it with new brakes and new rubber. Green with tan and black interior, great combination. I have no complaints at this point. Added a half a quart of oil at 2200 miles. That's pretty good for me. I run my Toyotas up to 250 / 280K. Lets see what the VW can do.

Good, Affordable Pocket Rocket

Mauricio Gomez Weiss, 08/07/2008
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchase my 1.8 turbo in June, until now I had to change the gasket (vw dealers in Canada kind of expensive),excellent power, handles incredibly, good acceleration. Downside part as all the comments,plastic glove box and central arm rest cover breaks easily and are expensive to replace unless you get used ones, rubbery cover on the armrest front door drivers side peels like when you are sunburned. Fuel consumption around 9.1 lt/100km could be better. Cargo space amazing (fit a 40" Sony LCD and 2 passengers plus the driver all comfortable). It's an affordable car with good power and decent fuel consumption (could be better though)

Huge Value

meross, 04/22/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

This car is an excellent value for the money. Rear disc brakes, ABS, side airbags, all standard. Theater lighting and features found in cars twice the price. Extremely solid little car. Engine durable and competent, and handling very reassuring at speed, though could be stiffened for my taste. No problems after 38,000 miles. Excellent car!

My 2000 Golf GLS 4DR

Wild Bill, 04/23/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

I did a lot of research before buying this car. I understand it is the top selling car in Europe. It rides extremely well for a compact auto. Very tight, good gas mileage, and love the key. 2 proactive recalls that were handled by the local dealership. I've owned for close to 2 years, no problems and still very happy with it.

VW GOLF - mixed

Crossman, 05/11/2002
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Great power in a small package, but turbo system has many service problems. Corners cut on some interior and trim items. Velour interior captures dirt and grime and won't give it up. Dealerships too busy to give decent service. Goes like a champ through the snow, but very low ground clearance.

3.13 out of 5 stars

Disappointed

Julia3, 05/21/2002
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My car has 3500 miles on it and so far: 1. the power steering fluid leaked out, 2. the drive tensioner belt broke, 3. the air conditioner compressor wore out, 4. and the right front window belt lift broke--the window wouldn't go up or down. How could anyone sell such a poor quality car? Why was I so gullible to purchase such a poor quality car?

4.13 out of 5 stars

great car, could be better

hubie, 06/05/2002
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

I've had my vw turbodiesel 2000 golf for year and a half... 26,000 miles. I bought this car for the mileage, and it has been great... I get about 550 miles to the tankful with highway driving. Keep an eye out for diesel stations when you're running low! Good brakes, solid shifter.

Fun car.

lubdosedubs, 09/14/2010
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 2000 and have had it for over 10 years now. Other than a few dings, the body still looks great and the interior is fresh. It goes like stink and handles extremely well, yet is comfortable for long distance driving. The only niggling problem I have had is the airbags; have fixed them 3 times and now the light is on again.....

TDI forever!

thetdiman, 07/11/2002
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

I am very surprised at the reviews on your website. VW makes an great automobile. I love German cars and VW is the one that I could afford to buy new. A VW feels more like a BMW or Mercedes than a Honda or Toyota if you know what I mean. Drive one and then drive the other cars I mention and you will see that I know what I am talking about. My TDI is fantastic! It is a great engine. It is much quicker than one can imagine for only 90hp. With almost 60,000 miles, I have had NO problems with this auto!

Golf GLS

vonegaut, 08/07/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

Cool car, great company, 6 windows have broken in 2 years.

2.75 out of 5 stars

DONT BUY A VW

SC JAMIE, 08/13/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

HAD CAR FOR LITTLE OVER A YEAR. HAD TO TAKE BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP OVER TWELVE TIMES FOR REPAIRS. COOLANT LOSS, DRVR AND PASS WINDOWS FELL DOWN SEVERAL DIFF TIMES. O2 RECALL. PROBLEMS W DOOR HANDLE LOCK ASSY, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON. PREVIOUSLY OWNED A 97 JETTA, AND HAD NO PROB WHAT SO EVER. DEALER TOLD ME THEY ARE GETTING PARTS FROM A DIFF MANUFACTURER ON THE NEW MODELS. HOPE THEY GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER SOON.

TDI Troubles

nikisita, 11/12/2002
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

I bought my TDI in 2000 and was excited until I had my first problem. So far, I've had a bunch of headaches from my Check Engine light on, my car "slipping out of gear" twice, my WINDOW regulater, faulty manifold gaskets & now my transmission. Terrible customer service and mechanics at my dealership (Never go there). I'm thinking about selling my car now. I do love the interior, but hate the cup holders. I love the gas mileage but hate the unreliability I currently feel. Stock wheels were replaced at 34K miles. I feel like I am going to deal with one headache after another.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Can I Have a Do OVER!

Frank & Irene, 11/15/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

Bought the car to replace my infated 1996 Plymouth Neon due to mechanical problems thinking that I would not have the amount of problems with a new VW since we are previous owners of a 97 Golf K2. First year had the car serviced 12 time and with 3 problems took it in 2x to fix. Took the vehicle over to the BBB but VW did not want to buy it back. Will not buy another VW.

3 out of 5 stars

VW disappointment

rpauley, 11/14/2002
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

Bought a loaded GLX TDI with all options. Creaked and groaned when first driven off the lot. Told it would go away. Windshield defective has a coating on the inside that cant be cleaned off. 3rd heater motor, window quit. Rattles and thumps are embarassing told I was acutely sensitive by service mgr. Velcro lint catcher interior discusting.

3.25 out of 5 stars

i am not sure now

aqueen, 12/16/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

Having been driving it for 2.5 years, love to drive it as much as hate to repair it. I haven't had the window broken problem but something even worse.. the "check engine light" just keep coming on again and again. It was ok before the mfg warranty expired but beyond 2 years, i have to pay $75 everytime just to have the dealership to diagnose it, not mention the repair ocst. it is all about the poor sensors which can often give false alarm only because it snows or rains too much (humidity).

4.88 out of 5 stars

Listen to an actual owner

brownie, 03/02/2002
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I love driving this car. The only car I have ever rode for 5 hours straight and not felt tired afterwards. High quality interior materials makes the inside very nice. Monsoon sound package sounds crystal clear. Rear seats fold down and I put a ton of stuff back there. Car is very quick, very fast. The turbo throws you back in your seat when you hit 2800RPM. I dont think they make the turbo Golf 4 door anymore. If you want a turbo, you will have to get the GTI now. Great car.

3.88 out of 5 stars

Make sure you get the maintenance record

bmlarso, 02/18/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

Had the can since it was new. Had to replace the MAF 4 times. ($250 a crack, but got them to cover all but $150 or it). Has to replece the computer and wiring harness because it was what was tripping the CEL for the MAF. Tires had to be replaced at 15000. Glove gox broken. Mirror adjuster broken. Break-away mirrors BROKE at a VERY slow speed. 46000 and the clutch is going and I don't drive it that hard, but it is fun to drive and the 500+ miles to a tank is always a plus.

DPoor VW quality

bepilot, 08/13/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

The car has many excellent features - such as ride quality, fuel economy, quiet, quality body construction. It is too bad that the company has poor quality in the electrical system - and doesn't recognize this as a customer concern. The local dealer is also lacking in service capability - waiting up to 6 weeks for a service appointment and expensive pricing on most items.

Disappointing

Don Fox, 08/29/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

Upscale features are nice, but great mileage is meaningless given purchase premium & $750 glow plugs/relay/harness replacement; may as well have gas engine & avoid the extra noise, sluggish response, & noxious exhaust. Electrical problems: rear window defroster, seat heater, errant break warning light, air recirculation button. Glove box broke at only 15 mo (but 30,000 mi, so no warranty help). Annoyances: wide turning radius, clunky shifter, low radio & climate control placement, useless clothes hanger hooks, small sun visors, low side placement of the trunk light, flimsy 12V receptacle in the trunk, & lint-collecting seat fabric.

fun but disappointing

birdy, 09/11/2003
GLS 4dr Hatchback

If I could do it again I wouldn't buy this car. I've had it for less than a year and have had to fix a window and the brakes and at least one or both of my headlights blows out every month. The electrical system constantly tweaks out - alarm goes of, lights, etc. The transmission is already a little shakey too. And this is practically a new car!

The Golf Was The Best Car I Ever Bought

Quiller, 09/15/2003
GLS 4dr Hatchback

This is one tough little car. There are problems: The emission sensors are way too sensitive and the "Check Engine" light can't decide if it wants to stay on or not; There are times when the fuel mixture is off [sensor again], and the car's idle speed zooms up out of nowhere. However, it moves like anything and I can zip from here to there effortlessly.

4.63 out of 5 stars

Not much to complain about

shankmeister, 08/09/2003
GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

This car has been stone reliable (mine is a German car). I live in the NE, and these roads are horrible, especially in winter. The Golf has been a great companion for my long distance commute, and I will probably never own a car that costs less per mile. And it is VERY good in the snow with snow tires.

4.38 out of 5 stars

Beware!

JoeA, 08/12/2003
GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle performed very well after my purchase. But after maintaining this car it diminished in performance to the point where problems could not be solved. I believe it is a good vehicle but being a diesel may be its downfall. If you buy one, BE CERTAIN there is a certified mechanic that can service it. My performance rating reflects this.

I love this car

VaSean, 10/08/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

I'm surprised to read about the problems others are having, since I've had absolutely no problems with mine. Engine, clutch, computer, electrical window problems? Never. This is one...great...car.

Kraut rocket.

fingyrl, 10/20/2003
GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Nice car for wintry driving. At 31,000+ miles my check engine light came on and I needed a new mass air flow sensor (total repair $325). According to the Vortex website--this is a known problem, and I felt that it should have been covered under the 10 yr powertrain warranty. There was a class action filed against VWofAm so, that I think the window regulator problem others mention now falls under a separate 7 yr warranty. Other than the sensor, it has been great for me with only the usual scheduled maintenance. I'd buy this car again as a V6 GTI or trade up to another German car.

4.13 out of 5 stars

It sacrificed it's life for my son's

tednugent, 05/13/2005
GLS 4dr Hatchback

On May 6 my 2000 VW Golf GLS ended its life suddenly in a 60 mph headon crash with a guardrail. On a positive note, my son and his prom date were uninjured. I had bought that car in 2000 because it was one of the few small cars that had top crash test ratings and all the features of larger cars, such as ABS, sunroof, adjustable steering wheel, fully adjustable seats, etc. So what did I think of the car? Overall, very good. Will I buy another Golf? Maybe. Either that or a Civic. I like the Golf better in most ways, but since I want to buy a used car the reliability history of the Civic may trump. I fear getting one of those few Golfs-from-hell that seem to have all the problems.

51050