Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...15

Pros
Cons
4.63 out of 5 stars

2000 VW Golf GLS 2.0L 115hp

Matthew Morse, 05/21/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

This is an excellent car overall, I appreciate the emphasis on safety by the manufacturer. This car is worth the premium in price over other cars in the same class.

3.38 out of 5 stars

confused?

GENIVGOLF, 07/25/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

i cant believe the problems i have had with this car. ive had my o2 sensor changed twice in the past 6 months. my mass air flow sensor took a dump on me at 30000 miles. my instrument panel for my a/c, heat jammed up and had to get that replaced. my coolant sensor went bad at 28000. i cant believe a car that carries the vw badge could preform so poorly. i should of bought a honda!!!

4.38 out of 5 stars

Love/Hate for me too

first and last, 09/20/2002
GLS 4dr Hatchback

Love to drive it, hate to fix it. Had it for 2 years, been to the dealer 10+ times. All four windows have broken at least once (pass. rear broken 3 times), doors and windows freeze in a mild winter, vinyl on all four door panels melted off, rear cup holder broke (even though nobody uses it), both back brakes completely replaced, recalled twice. The best part: the extended warrenty I bought at the dealer in Canada cannot be redeemed at the dealer I go to in the U.S.!! What's up with that? Definitely my first and last VW.

4.5 out of 5 stars

my first VW lemon

prof, 07/02/2002
GL 2dr Hatchback

I've owned VW's since 1967 and this is my first lemon. The window regulators have failed in two windows at a cost of repair of $330 each. The oil consumption was so bad at 30K miles that they had to replace the rings. Every month it seems like another $300 bucks.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Fun, great milage, but unreliable

iceman, 04/29/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

The Golf TDI is great on gas. I average 48 mpg (mostly highway). It is comfortable for the driver and passenger, but tight in the back seat. For a diesel, it's amazingly quick. The downside has been reliability. Right after the warranty expired I had an electronic ignition failure. The car would just shut off. It happened once in an intersection and I almost got creamed. $250 and two trips to the shop later and it was fine. Last month I noticed a loss in power. The dealer blamed an air sensor. Fixing it was $500.

12345...15