Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...15

Pros
Cons

Still lovin' it.

JStew, 02/17/2004
GLS 4dr Hatchback

I bought the car new in 2000. Have had only a few minor problems. Yes, the oil issue is a pain but it improved over time. I've had the hatch latch repaired under warranty and the cruise control module was replaced, but otherwise no problems. Great gas mileage, still fun to drive. Hatch holds a lot of stuff. A great basic car.

If only it would work reliably ...

pparis, 04/24/2003
GLS TDi 4dr Hatchback

I was drawn to the TDI by its sleek design, great handling, and its incredible fuel efficiency (50 miles a gallon means that I go to a gas station a little more than once a month). What I did not expect, after I had owned several Golfs prior to this one, were the major problems with reliability. Nearly from day one, things started to break: sunroof, door locks, glow plugs, electronic command module, my ignition key was not recognized and the car disabled itself. Now, the turn-lights aren't working and the "check-engine" light is on again. I should have been more suspicious of the 2-yr warranty. All that in 2.5 years plus really lousy service is more than I can handle.

It's Great ... If It's Working

sherman, 09/11/2007
GLS 4dr Hatchback

My wife and I bought our Golf GLS four-door new in 1999. It only took a couple of months before bizarre problems manifested themselves. Windows that fell into doors, mysterious rattling, seatbelts that refused to work, a radio that went on and off by itself ... plus more serious issues such as transmission problems and sudden brake failure (that's right: failure!), blown head gaskets at 30,000 miles, fluid leaks. Good luck arguing warranty issues with your VW dealer. We spent at least $1000 a year fixing the Golf every year we had it -- factor that in if you buy one. Buy a VW if you're wealthy and/or married to a decent mechanic.

Love/Hate Relationship

ExOfficio, 04/26/2002
GL 2dr Hatchback

This is my 4rth VW. The new Golf is by far superior. But with VW you are either lucky or poor. More often than not, the latter. While I love many things about the Golf, this will be my last VW. In 1st year - 5spd needed to be completely replaced due to a mftr defect in the 5th gear. Had to battle VW 6 mths with dangerous tranny (wouldn't go into 1st+5th gears -I had to start in 2nd!). Many other problems during the 60000 miles so far. Fun to drive but at what price. Love car but hate reliability. I had it shipped directly from Germany hoping it would prove more reliable than my previous VWs. Some who have been luckier than I, but more who swear they will never buy VWs again.

Great little car!

Eckeman, 10/27/2009
GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this one with 5K miles way back in 2000 and it has been going strong for over 9 years. The only major issue I've had was brake rotor and pad replacement at 25K, which was costly. We also had some minor oxygen sensor and catalytic converter issues that were under warranty and easily resolved. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 90K, as recommended. So in short, we’ve put nearly 120K on this thing with very few problems. The design is very sleek; it hardly looks dated after nearly 10 years. The car is great on the highway, with a very solid, tight feel. It has great safety features (4 air bags, ABS). I love the steering, controls, dash lighting and the interior space.

12345...15