Used 1998 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

$797 - $1,883

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Fun to drive, easy to live with

fervor, 09/18/2003
GL 4dr Hatchback

This car is the only car in a house with 2 adults, a large dog, and a baby and we are hardly ever lacking for space. The best thing about this car is the versatility of changing from a 4-passenger car to a small utility hauler. Cupholders are terrible. Reliability has been good except for a number of small problems that keep popping up (horn and A/C switches stopped working, turn signal sticks, trim falls off, etc.). Still burns no oil at 75,000 miles. Great car that handles great but acts much bigger than it is.

great daily driver

bricknord, 10/21/2009
K2 4dr Hatchback

Bought a pristine K2 with heated seats for $4k-ish. Great daily driver. Good on gas, just enough pep, simple to work on yourself. Airbags, so relatively safe. No better $4k beater out there. 5 way heated seats a bonus in winter. Nice cold A/C.

Cheaper than what we expected

kyboy, 09/13/2008
GL 4dr Hatchback

Cons: Rear CD-changer won't release at 20k, automatic trans that won't shift up on a warm day at 30k, Door trim falling off at 35k, rattle in dash at 50k, oil leak at 55k with fumes into pass compartment. Pros: Performance, mpg, interior room especially for cargo hauling, the wonderful mechanically adjustable drivers seat, ride and looks (except for the headlight bezels, which looked outdated even in 98).

Driving fun combined with cargo space!

ksagmoen, 04/10/2002
GL 4dr Hatchback

I've had VW's for many years ('80 Rabbit, '88 Golf, and this '98 Golf). In general, they're great cars and I love to drive them. Great gas mileage, great cargo space, and a TON of fun to drive. I highly recommend getting the standard transmission. I wish I would have gotten the CD changer for the trunk. I've had a few problems with this particular vehicle, though. The radiator sprung a leak (at a seam) at 28K miles -- VW wouldn't pay for fixing it. The seat part of the bucket seat tends to flatten out -- I had to replace the driver's at about 25K and I'll have to replace the passenger one soon (51K). I also had exhaust problems, but I think that was my fault.

Fun and reliable so far

Scott, 05/11/2006
GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car several months ago with about 68,000 miles, and I've put a couple thousand more miles on it. So far my only maintenance has been scheduled items like replacing the timing belt and new tires.