Used 2008 Volkswagen Eos Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Eos Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

Awesome Cabrio
By Angeliko Teretzis

2008 Volkswagen Eos VR6 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Always check for leaks

LOVE the EOS! Buy this CAR!
By Alexa

2008 Volkswagen Eos Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

2008 Eos I bought off an older couple 3 years ago. Their son owned it, garaged it and mostly dealer maintained it. I wanted this car when it first came out and love that its super rare to see on the road. I get asked about it overtime I am out. People compliment me on it daily, its a hot little car even at 9 years old! To think I almost didn't buy it because of all the bad reliability reviews. Luckily I owned a 1997 VR6 Jetta that I adored, and never had any serious issues with it. I sold him at 175k and that boy is still going strong!! So yes I know my way around VWs. Most of the complaints on here focus on leaks (seal it yearly, buy the epoxy on amazon) and oil consumption - even older Hondas burn oil, any older car you should be checking oil levels every few thousand especially in winter and with aggressive driving. German cars will run like butter if you maintain them properly. Don't wait on repairs and maintenance. I get my Eos oil changed twice a year, the dealer said it wasn't necessary but I like to take it to the dealer so they can do a thorough check on my almost 10 year old car. So far all I've had to do is the battery (it was original!) and fresh tires. not bad in 2 years and I paid 7k for the car. I even bought a cover before getting it in case it leaked. NO leaks yet! i saw from my car fax prior owner had that fixed awhile back. Make sure you buy one thats been taken care of. If I buy a used car I prefer to hear the owner has done a lot of work not - "oh it hasn't needed anything" any car will need work in 2-3 years, be it breaks tires or struts. I wouldn't buy a 2008 Honda that had nothing done either. Ask the owner if a mechanic can look the car over, if not run away! Keep tabs on oil and coolant, check the water pump when you buy it. I keep oil in my trunk but usually don't need. Top works perfectly knock on wood - people are fascinated when you operate it. NYC EOS LOVER!!!!

Fun and economical ride
By Endless Sky

2008 Volkswagen Eos VR6 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

First off, why an EOS??? Year round SUN!
Panomaric roof? YES!
Sliding Sunroof? YES!
Convertible? YES!
NO OTHER CAR HAS ALL 3 COMBINATIONS!!!

Owned a 2008 VR6 model for over 5 years. It did have a couple of annoying roof water leaks that I fixed. Thank goodness for vweosclub.com! No mechanical problems what so ever though. I did replace the battery(s). Note that the V6 model has 2 x 6V batteries in the trunk. To me, it's not a fast car off the line with the excessive torque and being front wheel drive. Beyond that, acceleration is decent, especially in sport mode. Fuel economy is great, as long as you're not in sport mode. The DSG transmission in normal drive mode likes to up shift too soon to help fuel economy. On the highway, that is fine with MPG averaging 25-28. For around town, I prefer to either put it in sport mode, or use the paddle shifters. Regardless, it's fun driving all year round. WIth the panoramic sunroof, I can have a warm car any time of the year. Too cold out? Keep the roof closed, and the sun will heat the car. Too hot out? Close the panoramic roof cover, and roll the windows down (or use AC). Temperature between 75-90? Put the top down!

I love this car, and plan on enjoying for years to come...

7 year update: still loving this car. Did have usual issues with leaks, but figured out to to eliminate one by putting silicone between 2 overlapping seals in the back, and annually applying krytox to all seals. 75k miles and running like new. Aside from one major scheduled maint., only had to do oil changes and tire rotations. The most fun you'll have year round!

Rolled Mine Not a Scratch
By Rolled and alive

2008 Volkswagen Eos Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owning a convertible you always worry about rolling the car....what if??? Well my husband did and he is alive and well without a scratch! The roll over protection is AWESOME! OK that being said I did have issues with the top sticking when closing and the turbo gaskets needed repaired around 90k Miles. There was an electrical issue that caused the windows to spaz when it rained but the car was also 8 years old! I would take it back in a hot minute!

New EOS Owner
By Sharon davenport

2008 Volkswagen Eos Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned it a month, In the shop three time for minor repairs.