Used 1997 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

ol reliable !!
By tasha

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 4dr Sedan

my dad handed this car down to me until i found a new car . its been 4 months and im still riding along with it . was suppose to be a point A to point B car but its been getting me to point C and D aswell . for it being a older car it really preforms extremly well! im writing this review cause i was suprised with the car. im 21 and im enjoyiong this car . not the best in looks but gets me where i need to go to find my adventures (:

My first car and a great car
By meekos

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my neighbor as my first car when I was 16 (3 years ago) for 1,200$. It had 179,000 miles on it or more when I bought it. It now has 210,000 miles on it. I would say I probably could have gotten more miles out of her, but she was my first car and I learned a lot of maintenance lessons with her (like always get your oil change and don't let you car run out of oil). I was rough on this poor thing and because I had to get a new car. However considering I put 30,000 miles on her and she lasted me as long as she did, I think this car is a great reliable car. I have never been stranded with her. Gas mileage was 34-38mpg until I drove her out of oil, the mpg just started dropping after that.

Some of the stuff I had to have done on her: I had to replace the radiator (which is a common repair needed for this particular car), valve lifters and brakes, and I had to replace the idle air control valve. As long as you keep oil in her, she will be your best friend!

UPDATE: She finally died on me as of this year with 211,000 on her odemeter. She probably could've of lasted a bit longer if I hadn't been so hard on her. Many lessons have been learned as a new car owner with this one.

Best Toyota Ever!!!
By 5thtoyota

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 4dr Sedan

I am on my 5th Toyota mostly Corolla's and this was my first Tercel (1997).
I bought it 10 years ago for a mere $4,000, 60,000 miles, in great shape!
I have taken good care of it with regular maintenance and it runs circles around my new Camry!!! Runs like a top, drives like a Champion, purrs like a kitten & STILL gets a WHOPPING 36 CITY!!!
I never even drive the new Camry since I like this one better!!
AND, the A/C works much better than the new Camry!!!!
I hope my baby car NEVER dies!!!!

36 mph, city Runs like a TOP A/C freezes you out Never left me stranded on the side of the road

MAKE A NEW MODEL OF THE SAME CAR!!!!!

248,000 miles, she deserves a rest
By Happy

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 2dr Coupe

Bought with 30K, only problems two cats and one CV joint. Tranny's now becoming cantankerous. Best car in the world!

Toyota For Life
By emily joones

1997 Toyota Tercel CE 2dr Coupe

I've have driven all the American vehicle more than once but, I never dreamed that a Toyota would change my mind about driving. I have driven my '97" tercel for 2 yrs. W/o any major problems. I accumulated close to 300,000 miles. Love the dependability especially when your grandchildren are expecting to attend their sporting events. You have my vote for value.

Safety, Dependability and good Gas Mileage

The air conditioner system.The connection signals are good but,when you turn system on it kicks on then shutdown any suggestion on repairing this problem