Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I run the crap out of it... love it. [loc. MI]
By Rough rider.

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I don’t wash it, don’t look under the hood [except to check/change oil], I don’t clean it, I dented it up, I don’t let it warm up.... in fact ...in the dead of the winter I am 5miles away with ice on the windows, I use it in the woods for hunting and fishing, trees broke off the antenna, likely o2 sensor is bad but I don’t care about the check engine light, it goes through water that comes over the hood, basically I am not easy on it at all. 105,000 miles. A leaf spring broke on drivers side ... Toyota [in Ontario, Canada] replaced both sides complete sets and arranged a rental truck for 9 days ...fantastic... didn’t cost me anything. Gas mileage is way better then my 95 six cylinder and more acceleration too. Trees rake the sides I’m surprised the paint stays on. Best news it never gives me any trouble always starts even in the dead of the winter. Truely amazing truck. I rip down logging roads catch a bit of air once in a while. I push trees out of my way, by the way the bumpers are bent. I bought the truck with about 20,000 miles so about 35,000 off road-swamps-logging roads-etc. 50,000 paved roads. Best truck I’ve ever run the crap out of.

A dependable work truck, but a little under power.
By Ron

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Would definately recomend getting extend cab over reg cab, the seat adjustment is very poor for the bench seat in the regular cab, should have individual seats instead of the bench seat.

Nice truck but not a keeper.
By rblau

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Tacoma regular cab with the manual transmission in June of 2010 with 13,000 miles on the clock and traded it in August 2012 with 42,000 miles on it.

I loved the way the truck looked. Reliability was never an issue. My Tacoma never failed to start and never left me stranded. The 2.7 four is a great engine. I averaged about 20 mpg with it.

My dissatisfaction was the result of the trucks build quality. I had constant rattling coming from the drive shaft going over bumps when the drivetrain was unloaded. The dealership replaced the driveshaft. The problem remained. Toyota said it was a known issue with the 4x4 manual regular cab. I would have to live with it. I chose not to.

Great engine, decent gas mileage. Nice size and good looking. Very reliable.

They could not have built this truck any cheaper. How much would it have cost Toyota to equip this base Tacoma with intermittent wipers? Rear leaf springs squeak like a used up old beater. A known issue but Toyota is still shipping Tacomas with this problem. The buyer is forced to bring their truck back to the dealer for a fix under a TSB. Unacceptable drive line rattle and slop. The gear ratios for the manual transmission are ridiculous.

09 tacoma
By ron191

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Tacoma for almost 2 years. I will soon be ordering radio number 4 due to defects. The first two radios were plagued by volume control knobs that became unresponsive. My current radio went completely haywire with all the buttons doing the exact opposite of what they are suppose to do. Numerous squeaks and rattles in the dash and headliner have become extremely annoying. Gas mileage is not that great for a 4 cyl.
In the summer, I average about 20mpg, in the winter, I average about 18 mpg. My clutch also creaks loudly, more so in the summer. I do like some of the standard features with this truck (vsc, numerous airbags, etc.

I am disappointed in the quality. I purchased a Toyota for their perceived quality but they have cheapened everything up just like everyone else has for the almighty dollar.

Less than expected
By Pride and such...

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Decent quality truck but I expected more from Toyota. We have all seen the mid 80's Toyota pickup still going strong with over 200k miles and I am maintaining the belief that this truck will do the same. Nice ride for a small truck. If you are over 5'10" tall the standard cab bench seat will be uncomfortable. Few trucks get 27- 29 highway mpg. Plenty of power for getting around town and up to speed on the highway. However, the truck is beyond sluggish with any significant payload. Radio changed stations automatically and the volume didn't work at times. Received replacement unit after 2 months of waiting and it does the same thing. Toyota has recall out for floor mats and pedal assembly.

Gas mileage is easy on the wallet, quality bed liner, easy of use on interior controls, bold styling, 5000 miles between oil changes, cleat and tie system (although one did break), 3 stage paint.

Lumbar support for driver and bucket seats would be nice, a 2.7L I4 that takes six quarts of oil is a shortcut, replace stereo with functioning unit instead of wasting time and money with defective replacements, 3 recalls in 15,000 miles in disappointing.