Used 2016 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Love It!
By Kirk W

2016 Toyota Prius Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchase my 2016 Prius Model 4 used with only 7200 miles on it. It was virtually brand new after almost two years. The comfort level is exceptional with regards to the physical seat comfort, and then just the overall feeling of all the safety features that are on the car. I’m 6’1” and 220 lbs and find the seats perfect. Getting in and out of the car is not too difficult, but it isn’t as easy as other vehicles with a more upright sitting position. I have plenty of headroom. I was specifically looking for a Prius 4 because of the leather seats (ok, I know it’s not real leather, but it feels like it), and the power adjustable drivers seat. I wish the passenger seat had power adjustment also. Several inline reviews say the new design is ugly, but I think it looks great. To each there own. My wife likes my Prius so much she wants to trade in her GMC Acadia and we’ll have his and hers ... lol.

Prius is great
By Dixiesmom

2016 Toyota Prius Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love this car especially when gas prices go up

Prius that I love yet hate
By Dan

2016 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Low front clearance makes this not drivable to most places. If the roads in your state is well maintained and traffic is not crazy, driving this vehicle will be pleasant experience. My recommendation will be to improve undercarriage safety and robustness.

Cracked Windshield Issues
By Marsh

2016 Toyota Prius Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What Toyota has known about for awhile and failed to address, and what is currently a class action suit against the company is that the windshields on the 4th Generation Prius models (2016 and 2017 years) are faulty and are very succeptable to cracks, making them a road safety hazard. Furthermore, Toyota has known about this issue per the class action summary and has failed to act. On top of this, Toyota is hiding behind the “road debris” exclusion of the warranty which is forcing customers to pay out of pocket for these issues. My wife and I bought a 2016 model Prius IV, and within 4 months, we had 3 chips on the windshield and 2 cracks over 12 inches in length. The 4th Generation model has been plagued be issues including an airbag recall and windshield problems, and Toyota has been inadequate in their response to these issues. If you are looking to buy a Pruis, I would recommend an older model, or look to another Hybrid vehicle as the 4th generation will disappoint.

Lots of good, a bit of not so good
By Lauren

2016 Toyota Prius Four Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are very active and fit, if you are over the age of 50, this car may not be for you. Even with the seat at the highest point, I find the car difficult to get in and out of (I'm 58). A friend of mine who is 55 feels the same and he's actually quite active. Having started with a 2011 Prius, the jump to a 2016 was noticeable in terms of performance. The acceleration is quite good and, in fact, at times, I suddenly notice I'm going much faster than what it feels like. Comfortable seats once you are in the car. Good sound system, but the blue-tooth phone charger (which could be SO handy) doesn't fit my IPhone 6Plus!! Relatively bad blind spots due to the way the window is set in the hatchback (thank goodness for the backup camera), and the rear view mirror seems to get in my way also with some frequency.....not what one wants to experience. Another beef, aside from the visibility is the low front bumper. With my 2011 Prius and now my 2016, I have to park slightly back from the concrete car bumpers because if I do not, I scrape the underneath of my car's front bumper. In addition, I live in a very hilly area and if I'm not going VERY slowly, I bottom out my bumper when I go downhill. Doesn't Toyota have specs on that in order to avoid such things? Apparently not. In addition, the paint seems inferior. It would take too long to go into, but they might as well have used nail-polish based on some of the things I've experienced. Finally - I notice when it is wet, the tires slip sometimes on metal and sometimes even on thickly painted lane dividers. Maybe all cars do this....but I don't remember experiencing it before. Good cargo room in the hatchback. Car needs an interior trunk pop button.