Used 2016 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius v model:

2016 bright red wagon.
By Reynaldo Baca

2016 Toyota Prius v Four 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am 6 - 4 and I am comfortable in the driver’s seat. Comfortable, quiet, reliable, great mileage. I significantly upgraded the sound system.

angel baez
By angel baez

2016 Toyota Prius v Four 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

in 3 months went to fix 2 times,don't start,the towing guy show me receipts for 7 prius daily,very bad sign, never go to west kendall toyota,very bad customer service,got my new plate after 7 days the temporary expire,fast service department but don't know what happen with my prius v 4,they only have 1 master technician for prius to resolve starting problems and reset software and he is on vacations,keep driving but scare about reliability,good on gas,smooth ride but paying $37.560 for a prius???? its ridiculous,same price that any lexus,no government incentives,just for all electric cars or plug-in,after my last visit now my car don't recognize the key,need to press to open doors and use the key just in front of the start bottom to start the car,even doing that,some times don't start,is amazing,don't recommend to buy a prius,price to high,if you use your car for daily commute you will get your money back on saving gas in 10 years,time to change the car,I driving with Uber and Lyft and only one thing is great ""45 mpg" combined,that's it.

still very angry with west Kendall Toyota,horrible customer service,I already trade in my Prius for a Honda pilot,I waited for a GAP,Service contract and Tire hazard cancellation refund for more than 6 month,never go with that dealer again. the Prius V was always broke,my opinion is the same,best thing is 45 mpg,that's it,to much electronic and computers failing.

Sound Value
By Dennis Rybarczyk

2016 Toyota Prius v Four 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Was thinking about buying a replacement car. Tried this and almost bought it, but decided to wait a bit longer.

Enjoying our new Prius V
By Eugene Tozzi

2016 Toyota Prius v Four 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love it. Two notes: (1) Note that this is a station wagon and has a higher and somewhat more bulky profile than the traditional sleek Prius. However, it is quite roomy, and the cargo area will hold a lot of stuff and some big and bulky items. (2) If you have driven earlier small wagons (we have had a 1996 Corolla wagon and a 2000 Saturn LW wagon) you will find much more of a blind spot created on the passenger side by the rear hatch frame. The back panel windows (to the sides of the cargo area) are much smaller than the typical back panel windows on our earlier wagons. We need to compensate by paying greater attention to the passenger side mirror in order to see that blind spot. That said, we are really enjoying our first Prius. We are learning from the instrumentation how to drive more economically. On very short trips, under 2 miles, you do not reach the 40+mpg range. However, if you go 10 miles, whether in suburban traffic with lights or on the open road you get 40 and better. We love the cup and bottle holders. There are a total of 9 places to put your drinks, four molded into the storage pockets on each door, three more in front and two more in back. The price of $26,759 was the dealer price before adding sales tax.
Update, August 2017 after a full year: Without actually running the numbers, I have the impression that gas mileage improved overall about 6 months into the car's life. That said, the car seems to fudge the MPG a bit. I reset the trip meter every time I fill it with gas. (Not often, a tank gets 400+ miles.) The meter tells you the miles per gallon as well as the number of miles since it was last reset. When I divide out the mileage by the actual number from the gas pump, the MPG is usually about 2-3 miles less than what the car says it should be. However, no complaints. I regularly get over 40 MPG.
One alert: This wagon model (Prius V) does not get the very wonderful mileage of the main Prius model which is rated at about 55 MPG. Therefore it does not qualify for certain low energy vehicle discounts, such as on the George Washington Bridge that the main Prius model gets.
Update, August 2018 after two years: We still love this car and we took it for a 2500 mile round trip through the mid-west this summer. We had been complaining to ourselves that there was no dome light over the cargo compartment to light that area when the rear hatch is open. After about 21 months I noticed a clear plastic rectangle on the left wall of the cargo compartment. This rectangle had a switch next to it and when we moved the switch we discovered that this is the cargo light. That was a happy discovery, but a dome light would have been better since this one can be obstructed by cargo on that side. Also the storage compartments under the cargo area floor but above the spare tire are very handy.

Big fan!
By Barbara

2016 Toyota Prius v Five 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I was 18 my favorite car was a new SS 396 Chevelle. Now that I'm 66 THIS is my favorite. Model 5 is pricey but I wanted the safety features and panoramic roof, not so much the Entune App Suite. The Prius V interior is a high step up from the basic Prius and not offensive to my passengers who own a luxury vehicle. During the positive test drive I took a model 3 over well known hazardous streets with stop and go driving. It never occurred to me to turn on the sound system until I was driving my own purchase home a week later, no complaints. I too didn't feel competent with the rear camera until I had a trusting friend stand behind the car. I stopped and parked once the red line was on top of her feet. The owner's manual states the red line is 1.5 ft. but seeing is believing. MPG increases to high 40s with mixed driving using premium grade gas, non-aggressive driving in ECO mode and no AC. The dash indicator for MPG is about 1-2 mi. higher than actual arithmetic at the pump. Comes with several detailed easy to understand manuals. No experience with ice/snow/mud. Got Toyota mud guards and after market floor liners; also dealer door edge guards and rear bumper applique, no complaints. Use padding in the cargo area, hard surfaces like seat backs scratch easily. Would like the telescoping steering wheel to extend further; good for small drivers. Tall passengers make positive comments about height and leg room, especially while using the sliding and reclining back seat. No extra-large passenger yet. Trade in and cash rebate helped; sales tax and admin fees didn't.

Update: 9345 miles. Average mixed mileage 37, less than advertised. Dash MPG indicator is consistently 2-3 miles higher than true, which I reported to Service Department on both scheduled visits; no one seemed to care. I stopped using premium gas after reliable publications said to stop wasting money at the pump. Could this be why MPG gas dropped? Instead, I often use top-tier regular fuel. Exterior paint is vulnerable to road debris. No regrets after 14 mo. of ownership. The silver color is still my favorite.