2017 Toyota Corolla iM Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Corolla iM Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla iM model:

my second toyota
By Bill Vandermar

2017 Toyota Corolla iM 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

In my humble opinion toyota has come way down on the way they put these cars together. The gaps at the hood and other joints such as doors and bumper cover are huge! Very sloppy toyota. I can stand next to the car and look in through the hood and see the cap on the wind shield washer. I can see the white clamps in the joint between the fender and bumper cover. I can look at the door jam and see the bolts on the door hinge. Those of us that are loyal to toyota buy them because we hope they arent put together like a ford or chevy.

What a Lemon
By Kevin

2017 Toyota Corolla iM 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this new 5/17 with a 6 speed manual. I test drove many other cars from domestic and import manufacturers and decided that after my wife's good Corolla experience to mimic purchase. She has a 2014 with the CVT trans. Although in general I like the car for its hatch back, basic interior and reasonable road holding, driving this thing is the worst experience I have ever had. At 47 years old I have a CDL license and have owned and driven many cars, trucks, motorcycles and commercial vehicles with mostly good experiences. This car has some serious flaws with the manual trans and fuel programming which has made it dangerous for me to drive. For one thing it has an unstable idle at red lights. It will not settle down to about 750 RPMs, instead it roams from 400-800 and when it is dipped low I frequently stall it at lights trying to take off. Second, it has a hesitation off of idle which makes it difficult to feel for clutch engagement again when trying to take off from a stop. The result is either stalling again or slipping the clutch to the point I cannot see getting 50K out of this clutch. The fuel management is again flawed when accelerating beyond 3800k RPMs. This engine makes its highest torque at 4k and highest horsepower at about 5.4k. On my car when you hit 3.8k or higher RPMs the idle hangs at that RPM and will not lower for several seconds in between shifts. If you let the clutch out it makes the car jerk badly or you have to hold the clutch in until enough time evolves until the idle lowers to safely engage the higher gear. When trying to downshift there is great difficulty in revving the motor due to the hesitation off of idle so again the car jerks badly due to too low of RPMs in the downshift. It has never produced any fault codes for these issues. When brought in for service the dealership here in Albuquerque, NM downplayed the issues by claiming it runs the same as another new car on the lot. Currently my car has 1.3k on it, it's not even broken in by a long shot. As others have noted the engine is extremely low powered and I feel well below the stated 136 HP and 126 Torque ratings. I did not buy it for as a sports car for sure. The brakes are somewhat spongy but according to the dealership all is well again compared to some other car. In retrospect I wish that I had not purchased this vehicle as there is no way I will be able to solve the fuel programming and idle issues on my own and the lifespan of the clutch and transmission will be severely short lived due to Toyota's design.

SPRING GREEN MACHINE
By D K L

2017 Toyota Corolla iM 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Excellent front leg room for this six foot guy. CVT makes a strange growl in reverse, otherwise does a fine job. Needs more power, won't pull the hat off your head. I love this car and you will too, unless you are into performance.

corolla im